Chapter 6 [Finale]

Reminiscent

The initial picture he cherished always remained safely tucked away in his bedroom, held between the pages of a book beneath his bedside table. Kept there to serve as a reminder of those early days.

A camera had been one of the items donated, yet it was horribly scratched and damaged, but still it worked for the most part. He attempted to take pictures of anything, to see if it worked, but for the most part its photos were lackluster and faded.

Within the community home; he focused them on the outside when he held it carefully in his own hands, shortly after he lowered the camera. His eyes stared through the clear windows, watching as the white snow continued to fall, graciously falling on the man who stood idly by.

A person dressed in dark clothing that contrasted greatly against the chaste ground beneath him, who held his hand out and cradled the bits that fell. Leeteuk looked up at the darkened skies and smiled.

Kangin exhaled, his fingers clutching the camera. He had always wanted to be viewed differently, wishing he could demand to be seen in a different light. But he doubted Leeteuk could distinguish between the blurred lines of love and empathy, and he couldn't face pity. He allowed himself to wish but never ask, taking the only photo worth keeping in that coming apart camera.

"Everything will be fine." Sungmin said calmly.

"Do you think so?" Kangin once asked the younger, still in his teens at the time. Having just experienced a horrible day with his newly acquired cousins.

"If not," Sungmin said after a short pause. "I'll make it so."

He chuckled at his statement, but his brother seemed sincere, and he affectionately scuffled Sungmin's hair. The latter didn't seem to mind. This new life he was given, he slowly grew used to. Able to admire the new photos in his room, but still he glanced at the aged one in his hand.

He never thought he'd receive a chance, and as Leeteuk became more than just a close friend, he dared himself to want more. Taking initiative when before he wouldn't dare to, realizing he didn't just want his own happiness, but to give Leeteuk his own as well.

He wanted this to work more than anything.

-

"Everything will be fine." Sungmin's text read in his phone. Kangin smiled, warmhearted by his brother's message and cautiously texted back.

A bit of time had passed since the day of surgery. The bandages would now be unwrapped. He checked his watch every so often, growing wary and impatient.

Once done, he heard the nurse call his name.

Kangin stepped into the hospital room, moving aside as the nurse stepped out and walked forward towards the small bed.

The man faced the windows with its curtains drawn open, the bits of snow falling once more. At the sound of his footsteps, the patient turned his head in his direction.

His eyes were still as lifeless, as vacant as they were before.

Leeteuk smiled however, reaching out a hand as Kangin walked closer to the bed, unable to raise his own.

"It's okay." Leeteuk said softly, hoping it comforted the other man as he found and cradled his hand in his own. "I'm not sad about it."

He was being honest, Kangin realized, and that broke him further. On his knees, eyes closed, he laid his head on the bed's edge. Leeteuk gently brushed his freed hand against his back.

"I'm sorry." He apologized softly.

He couldn't say he never held hope, that just maybe, his chances were high. But as he opened his eyes, and the reality dawned on him that his sight couldn't be restored, he found he wasn't as crushed as he thought he'd be. He spent most of his time waiting, focusing on why he didn't care as much.

He realized he had already focused less on his lack of sight over time, becoming accustomed to this lifestyle. Finding his focus drift somewhere else, able to do nearly everything he could do beforehand. It wasn't as cruel as he first thought it to be, and he accepted it.

He cradled the other in his arms, sensing the sadness emanating from him, forgiving as Kangin silently apologized. His vacant eyes remained on the floor, gently comforting the crushed soul.

-

Yesung always thought Sungmin was strange.

The day a 15-year-old Sungmin headed to the nearby group home once his quest for a brother was approved by his parents, Yesung followed in without order because the other's way of thought confused him.

Still in their school uniforms, Yesung asked what they were doing there.

"We're going to pick out my older brother."

"This isn't a store!" Yesung scolded in a hush tone. Sungmin stepped in and studied each person who walked around, until finally his eyes set on a lone person in the room who toyed with a discarded looking camera.

"You," Sungmin announced as he pointed at the said resident. "Are my brother."

His deadpan statement caused raised eyebrows from Kangin, Yesung clutched his head behind. This blunt truth and the way of getting it didn't result from his wealth, his ego or anything related. But how he expressed himself made it difficult for even Yesung, who had been his classmate for years now, understand him.

"He's older than you." Yesung said idly afterward, his arms crossed behind his head as he leaned back against the train's seat.

"I know." Sungmin answered, looking aimlessly out the window. "But I wanted an older brother, not a little one."

"You have to make sure he agrees to this though." Yesung glanced at the other and realized the subtle pained expression in the window's reflection. "I'm sure he'll agree though." Nothing he said assured his friend who, in his own way, sulked the moment he stepped off the train.

Yesung later returned to the group home that night and confronted Kangin.

"He doesn't seem too right in the head, but he's a good person." He tried to convince the quiet teenager. He sighed, knowing that Sungmin craved the idea of a brother but his parents were unable to have another. The envy that painted on his face when he saw siblings together, despite his loving parents, he wanted that relationship. And once the idea of adoption crept into his mind, there was no stopping him.

Kangin was adopted soon after.

Sungmin was too caught up in his attention towards Kangin, and while Yesung had befriended the man, the earthed thought of being pushed aside was too unbearable.

He never thought bringing Kangin to that bar Yesung frequented would spur the relationship with Leeteuk. He grew increasingly guilt over their time spent together, he could see the wariness form on Sungmin's expression.

Yesung at first thought he had grown too attached to Kangin, that maybe he didn't want to share. But realized Sungmin didn't bother with what he, himself wanted.

"You want your brother to be happy." Yesung said once. Witnessing Kangin had rushed off to meet his boyfriend during their college years. Sungmin turned his head from the door.

"Of course." He deadpanned, as if it were such an obvious answer.

Even now, Sungmin would put other's happiness before his own, and while he wanted a brother for his own reasons, he still wanted to protect him. A well-intentioned person who to this day, is still misunderstood by others.

His traits, his character, drew Yesung's admiration and attention. To the point that no matter where he was, no matter the distance or the crowd of people between him, his gaze sought him out wherever he went. Unable to look away.

They sat beside one another on the train in the present day, his eyes studied the stoic man who read through a magazine. "Still going to the marriage meetings?" Yesung asked, hoping the other was oblivious to his disdained tone.

"No."

"Why not? Your parents want grandchildren soon."

"I'm adopting," Sungmin replied coolly. "It doesn't matter who my significant other is."

"You don't want your own?"

"There's enough kids without parents in the world. Most of my marriage potentials reject the idea without hearing to reason, the person I settle down with has to accept that."

Yesung thought over the possibilities and his lips twitched upward, unbeknown to his companion. "I'm okay with it." He informed.

Sungmin met his gaze when the train pulled to a stop, announcing loudly of the destination. They both stepped off. Yesung placed his hands in his pockets as he followed after him towards the company.

Once inside the office, he decided enough had to end now.

"You," Yesung pointed his finger at Sungmin. "I want."

"For?" Sungmin finished, Yesung lowered his eyes dangerously as they stood in the room.

"What do you think!" Yesung nearly yelled back.

His frustration finally reached the breaking point.

"I've always looked out for your insane ideas, making sure you don't get carried off because you're too gullible. I did everything to make sure you're happy and yet you still don't notice that I'll always be here for you and that no matter what idiotic thing you decide to do next, I'll always be here for you!"

Sungmin merely blinked.

Yesung was ready to throw himself out a window. He ran his fingers through his hair, closing his eyes in frustration when he felt something harshly hit his forehead.

He narrowed his eyes, "What was that for?!"

"You are truly an ignorant person." Sungmin declared as he returned the object back onto the desk.

Yesung rubbed his head and cursed under his breath as he grabbed his jacket and walked outside, he heard a few snickers along the way. "What?" He barked.

One of them gestured to his forehead. "That's nice."

Yesung arched an eyebrow when he quickly went to the nearest bathroom, turning his head towards the mirror.

Stamped in bold red letters, read 'Property of Lee Sungmin.'

Shortly after Sungmin walked in, following the exasperated man. "Are you going to help me with today's files or planning on ditching again?"

Yesung stared at him, studying him closely when he walked briskly towards him. With his hands on his waist, he pulled him closer and leaned in-

Sungmin's finger laid against his lips, forcing him a good distance away. "Despite what others may do, I don't find kissing in the bathroom entirely hygienic."

Yesung smiled and decided he didn't care, declaring seconds beforehand as he leaned in once more-

"I waited long enough."

-

Kangin brushed off the snow from his shoulders as he looked back, carefully watching as Leeteuk took his own determined steps into the snow, smiling proudly until he accidentally fell through.

Leeteuk cringed at the soft, but otherwise still shameful impact.

He shyly lifted his head, shaking away some of the snow from his face, unaware of the hand offered to him before his eyes. Kangin watched as Leeteuk sat up on his own, sitting calmly into the snow as he brushed away the rest of the snow, his skin colder.

Kangin reached for his hand, interlocking them together, leaving Leeteuk frozen momentarily at the gesture.

He said nothing as Kangin pressed his lips against his forehead, helping him to stand up and brush away the last of the snow affectionately from his shoulders and face. Tugging his hand for the other to follow.

Evoking his still brilliant smile beneath his dimmed eyes, the cane tapping against his leg every so often, enjoying every step into the snow, every step with this man beside him. He didn't care for the clothing he wore, the otherwise expensive appearance that daunted him and made him wary. Feeling worthless and constantly reminded of it every time his eyes laid on him.

It no longer mattered.

The stayed under the dark bridge, its light barely flickering. Kangin glanced at the slow waters beside them, Leeteuk walked a little too far from him for comfort. Kangin noted the person walking by, Leeteuk heading straight for him and was pulled abruptly aside.

He wasn't aware of the passing person he had just missed, his focus only on the man who had pulled him. He swallowed the lump in his throat as he lowered his face, he wished he could simply walk away from this, to hide his shy expression.

Kangin didn't mind the misunderstanding, especially as Leeteuk nuzzled against his neck.

"I still..." Leeteuk started, lowering his eyes. "Why did you still pursue me...after all this time?"

Kangin brushed his hands against his cheeks, resting them on either side. "Do you remember what I told you?"

Leeteuk blinked and shook his head.

"Whenever it involves you..." Kangin smiled confidentially as he brushed his lips against his. "I can't hold back."

He wondered briefly if he could stop before he lost himself entirely. But as Leeteuk initiated the second kiss, he knew that it was far too late to simply stop.

Yet he somehow knew, and would always know, that he would never want it to.
 

- The End -