Chapter 5

Reminiscent

-

Despite his interest in photography, he could appreciate the artwork that hung around the campus gallery. He looked back as Siwon and Leeteuk spoke a distance away, they had just dropped off his piece that was due that evening.

He remembered how when he first met Siwon, the man had threatened him when Leeteuk hadn't noticed, and despite his calm nature, gripped his collar quite tightly. This time Siwon made no hint of a threat, and seemed to be relieved even.

"Nothing to warn me of like before?" Kangin had asked him minutes earlier when Leeteuk excused himself to go somewhere alone.

"You never once treated him wrong, therefore, there's nothing for me to say." Siwon uttered. "But if you decide to change that, my former offer still stands."

Kangin was proud of that fact as Leeteuk whisked him away, claiming they'd be distracting his brother from work. "He's quite talented." Kangin complimented once they reached the car.

"I never knew how though, none of my family has that talent." Leeteuk said politely, sitting in the passenger seat. He didn't plan on having Kangin with him, but the moment he realized the side of the project and the sheer weight, he had no other choice in the matter.

Yet he didn't entirely mind it either... He was almost relieved at an excuse to call the other, enjoying his company with every encounter.

He was falling for him again slowly, but surely.

"Thank you."

Kangin smiled as the car started. "You only have to ask."

Leeteuk relaxed most of the way, but tilted his head as he felt the slight swerves of the car and gave a puzzled look. "Where are we going?"

"You should recognize the way to my place by now." Kangin said simply.

When they arrived at the apartment's doorstop, Kangin noted how the difference in how the other reacted to his place. Years earlier, Leeteuk often appeared ashamed whenever he was invited inside, as if he was never good enough.

Kangin threw his coat over a seat. Leeteuk turned slightly when Kangin held him from behind, his arms s around his torso. He felt his cheeks warmed, but didn't step away, finding he wasn't bothered by the close gesture.

The phone rang as Kangin reluctantly reached for it, Leeteuk intended to step away to give him some privacy but the other held him back.

Once the call ended, Leeteuk felt the embrace tightened and worriedly nudged his shoulder. A gesture Kangin recognized, one he'd often do whenever he was concerned.

"My mother asked me to attend this benefit the family's hosting."

Leeteuk didn't understand, nothing sounded wrong by it. "You don't want to go?"

"I never want to go." Kangin corrected. "They still haven't accepted me despite how long it's been since I've been adopted by my parents..."

"But your brother..."

Kangin chuckled warmly. "My brother already hated the family, the relations strained when he saw how they treated me. My parents try to incorporate me as much as they can into their activities but I don't think its necessary. They can't force the rest of the family to like me, much less not ignore me."

He felt Leeteuk turn around in his grasp and lay his head against his shoulders, nestling against his neck as his fingers clutched his shirt. "Why did you never tell me?"

He winced as Kangin leaned his forehead against his, knocking him slightly as he laughed under his breath. "Because you'd have the same look as you do now."

Leeteuk pulled away this time, with thinned lips slightly as he settled into the couch. Kangin glanced at the christmas tree set up near the edge of the couch and tilted his head, studying the image.

Quietly as he could, he reached for the camera that was on the small kitchen table, putting it to eye level and focusing the image until it set.

Leeteuk blinked at the flutter of flicks, recognizing the sound. Yet rather than turning away, he smiled nostalgically, even now his habits kept on.

Kangin still held the camera up, peering over it as his focus hardened on the man. He set the camera carefully on the table as he walked towards him, his gaze unwavering.

Leeteuk felt the shift as Kangin sat beside him, closer than before. He lowered his head shyly as Kangin leaned in, peering at his expression.

"Don't be nervous around me."

That was easier said than done. He shifted his hand, intending to put some distance between them when his fingers brushed against his wrist. He stopped when he traced the object, recognizing the feel of the watch, the very one he bought him those years ago.

Kangin glanced down at the hand that hesitated at his wrist. Slowly, he leaned to the side and closed the distance between them. Leeteuk could hear the shuffling of Kangin's clothes, and felt the dip of the couch beneath them, but before he could make any sense of the rustling, a pair of warm lips coated his own.

-

Yesung held two glasses of wine as he stepped towards the empty hallway, he could still hear the chatter of the laughing crowd and the bustle of music. But his attention focused on the man wearing a dark but casual tux, who had his arms crossed, leaning against the white wall as he stared out the large windows.

Sungmin stared at the reflection and turned his head, "I don't drink."

"Neither do I, but I thought I'd attempt to loosen you up anyhow." Yesung poured both drinks into a potted plant behind him and placed the glasses on the ground, turning around as Sungmin still looked on.

"Something on your mind?"

Sungmin exhaled, "You should know by now."

Yesung smiled. "You hate it when I assume though." Sungmin narrowed his eyes briefly as Yesung stepped closer, standing beside him. "If you need to talk, I'm always here."

Sungmin furrowed his eyebrows, still staring outside the glass. "You are always here. Do you not have any friends aside from me?"

"I'd rather not call what we have friendship," Yesung stated quietly.

Sungmin lifted himself off the glass, a subtle disgust in his expression as he heard a particularly loud laugh from the crowd on the other side. "Let's go."

Yesung walked to the lone employee behind the booth of the downstairs empty hotel lobby, picking up their coats when he heard another boastful laugh. He turned around to see one of the family members speaking with Sungmin, oblivious to the death glare being given and dangerously clutched fists.

"He's unreliable, that brother of yours. I tell your father this every time, but the stubborn man doesn't believe me, thinking your brother has 'potential.'" The man laughed as if he made an incredibly witty joke, Sungmin raised his fist-

"You should hold back on the wine." Yesung interjected, his hand on Sungmin's fist as he lowered it to his side before the guest could notice. "Enjoy the rest of your evening."

The man nodded with a wide grin, returning upstairs. Yesung continued to restrain Sungmin's fist, physically close as they moved outside to the blistering cold as they stood beneath the harsh lights. Yesung then handed him his coat and reluctantly let go. "That was close."

"He deserved what was coming to him." Sungmin uttered coldly, with a heavy sigh he asked. "Where do you want to go?" When Yesung shrugged, the other exhaled in annoyance.

"You were the one who asked me." Yesung reminded, but Sungmin merely turned away.

They began walking through the parking lot until they reached the train platform, he knew Sungmin rarely used his car and preferred the train rides, Yesung opted to go along with him most of the time. The downside was that the blistering cold enwrapped itself around him, and as he glanced at Sungmin's still discontent expression. His gaze then trailed to the blatant distance between them, too far for his liking.

Sungmin was held from behind as two arms reached around his chest. "What are you doing?" He asked calmly, almost unaffected.

"What do you mean what am I doing?" Yesung retorted, "You used to ask me to do this all the time whenever you were cold."

Sungmin exhaled, closing his eyes. "I won't force you to do things that you don't want to."

Yesung scoffed, said the man who always brought him along to about anything. But was content as he tightened his hold.

"If we're not friends then, what are we?" Sungmin said quietly, Yesung strained his ears to understand most of the murmured sentence.

He parted his lips, but then felt the man's body waver slightly until he leaned further against him, almost sleeping standing up. A strange person, Yesung thought.

Yet he didn't mind, holding onto the man, taking advantage of the moment. Hoping that the train wouldn't arrive just yet.

-

Kangin stared at the papers in his hands, breathing out as he looked across from the small table to see Leeteuk sleeping on his bed, wrapped in blankets.

He had a glimpse of the bills while in Leeteuk's house, but held back. Yet the papers ended up in his hands once again when he had reached for that coat, realizing the real reason behind Leeteuk's visit to his brother's university.

He didn't like how Leeteuk, nor his family, suffered financially. He once knew too well the feeling. He folded the pages and placed them on the glass table between them, his chin resting on his hand as he thought of what to do. Cruelly reminded of time he offered to help and the consequences it landed him in, facing the possibility of Leeteuk leaving him again.

The next morning as he drove the Leeteuk to his place, he remained in deep thought, an action that even Leeteuk could sense.

Once they arrived at his apartment, Leeteuk reached to open the door when Kangin stopped him.

"You'll listen," Kangin made him promise. "And not reject it until you hear it all."

Leeteuk bit his bottom lip, unsure of to accept but the other knew him too well. He nodded slowly.

Kangin took a deep breath as he explained. "My family offers scholarships, only to those who apply and put themselves through their courses. At the end there's possible internships and if they suit it well, there's open positions available to promising interns first. Siwon's suited and he's a reliant employee, he can use his artistic capabilities freely. I think he'd make the perfect candidate." He then added, "If he wants."

He hoped Leeteuk was at least considering the idea, if his words weren't completely ignored and actually listened to. To his own surprise, Leeteuk replied,

"I'll...tell him about it."

Kangin almost sighed in relief as Leeteuk quickly added, "Except you cannot help him get the job, understand? He has to earn it."

Kangin reluctantly agreed, his fingers crossed.

"If I ever find out that you helped-"

Kangin interrupted him with a forced kiss, interrupting his train of thought, and as they parted, Leeteuk narrowed his eyes.

"That was underhanded."

Kangin smiled mischievously as Leeteuk opened the door and stepped outside. Yet even as he entered his room, only after the door closed did he hear the car pull away shortly after, his thoughts continued to roam. And as he clutched the papers in his coat, remembering the other pages lurking about in the house, he knew that he couldn't reject help when given. He couldn't decline a possibility before giving it a chance.

If he had rejected Kangin again, he wouldn't have this glimmer of happiness, one that lifted him from this darkness. One he found he didn't mind as much before.

He had to try, he told himself, at least give everything a chance.

-

Kangin walked through the white hallways, nurses passing him by as he shifted between the beige curtains and met with Leeteuk sitting up on the patient's bed.

He remained quiet for most of the waiting time, studying as the other remained tensed, unrelaxed, nervous. Biding his time as the minutes stretched on.

Kangin was startled when Leeteuk initiated, and reached out to grab his hand. Even then, the man remained quiet, but Leeteuk relaxed as Kangin leaned his forehead against his.

Even if there was no risk, he couldn't help but be nervous.

Once the nurses walked in and the two hands separated, Leeteuk smiled at the nurse left only to return shortly.

"If I find out you were waiting this whole time," He stated. "I won't forgive you."

Kangin nodded, returning his own thin smile. "Call me when you're done then." Leeteuk grinned widely,

He returned to the hallways, his steps echoing on the marble tiles as he looked back at the double doors. His stuffed his hands in his pockets as he mouthed an inaudible apology, leaning against the white walls.

He would risk being unforgiven, and wait for as long as he had to, for as long as he needed to be.

-

A/N: There's only one chap left! ^^ Hope you enjoyed readers and subscribers~