Night

Shishimato Adventures

 


By Friday night, you and Shishimato had come to a non-existent agreement to leave each other the alone. He didn’t disturb you too much, only when he was hungry which unfortunately was nearly all the time.

The bunny seemed to have a black hole for a stomach and your supply of ramyun was decreasing at an alarming rate. Eventually, you had to tell him to stop and only ask for food when he’s really really really hungry, like verge of death hungry.

You propped your chin in the palm of your left hand as you repeatedly pressed the DOWN key on your laptop. You were scrolling through an endless source of knowledge aka Google, trying to find anything to that could explain the situation you’re in.

You clicked your tongue, nothing. Obviously, searching for ‘creepy grey bunny doll comes to life’ doesn’t do any good. You removed yourself from your slouching position to stretch, hearing the bones crack as you did.

“Ugh… that felt good,” you swivelled your chair around to see what the bunny was doing.

He had made himself busy with a book he found when he explored your room earlier this morning. To be more precise, it was your History book.

He can take that book any day.

You didn’t bring him to school this time. Instead, you left him at home with crystal clear instructions that he couldn’t go into the kitchen, couldn’t go into Jongdae’s or her parent’s room and that under no circumstances could he leave the confines of her bedroom until both her parents left for work.

So far, yoy haven’t gotten any panicky questions or statements for anyone so you expected that Shishimato had followed your ord- I mean, instructions.

“Shishimato…,” you said quietly, for testing purposes. You continued watching him flip through the black and white pages of history when you noticed the tiny white tag behind him.

What did that tag say last time? Shishimato… Matoki? A matoki…

You swivelled your chair back towards the computer and searched the internet. You finally found a link that led you to good website.

“Matoki… Originated from bla bla bla bla… I know that already,” you clicked and clicked until a picture of Shishimato and five other similar looking bunnies showed up on your screen. You hovered your mouse over the familiar red-masked bunny and read the info that popped up at the side.

Shishimato is two thousand nine hundred and forty four years old?! Holy , that’s old!

You looked back and forth between the cheerfully reading Shishimato and the screen. Loves war movies? Doesn’t seem like it though.

You continued to read through the whole thing and found nothing about the coming to life business, another dead end.

.

 

* * * * *

 

A series of furious chirping and explosions echoed in your room as the round red birds were catapulted to their death on your phone. You don’t know why but seeing ‘angry’ birds flung and eventually exploding into feathers amused the heck out of you.

I’m a sadistic bastard.

But nonetheless, the mobile game eased your frustration after hours of fruitless research. It was probably near 1am but you couldn’t care less. No school tomorrow!

“Heh…,” you chuckled as one of the birds hit the annoying green piggies a little bit too fast. The soft sounds you made eventually drew the attention of Shishimato.

He diverted his eyes from the book towards the human that was giggling at the table. His long ears twitched and turned at the sound of the game. Eventually, he became too curious. He needed to find out at what you’re laughing about.

First, he needs a game plan. How in the world is he going to climb up there from the opposite side of the room? Looking around, Shishimato noticed a smaller shelf that was connected to the table.

“Perfect!” he thought.

He closed the book gently but not before folding the corner to mark where he stopped and jumped off the bed. When he reached the shelf, he realised he might have underestimated the height of the wooden structure. It looked much smaller when he was looking from above.

He grunted. Well, he can’t stop now. It’s not like he can climb back onto the bed.

It took a while and he may have fallen on his a couple of times (not that it hurt- he was a doll) but at some point he reached the top.

Now he had to figure out how to approach the human girl. Should he cautiously inch towards you or should he just leisurely stroll to you? Hmm… decisions.

You on the other hand were too engrossed in pig killing to notice Shishimato’s internal conflict. You also didn’t notice when he decided to do a little bit of both, casually walking halfway then crawling like Sadako until his ears disrupted your view.

“What are you doing, Shishimato?” It turned to look at you then it pointed to the screen of your phone, “Oh? Do you want to play?”

You lifted your arm, allowing him to move under your chin instead of peering from the side. He sat down, the screen an arm’s length away from him. It felt quite uncomfortable to have his ears tickling your chin but it was bearable.

“So, this is what you have to do…,” you explained the concept of the game and all the while, the doll made short grunting noises while nodding along to show that he understood you. His eyes never left the screen as he listened.

After shooting an angry bird for demonstration purposes, you put your hand back behind the mobile, “Alright, I’ll hold the phone for you.”

 The bunny touched the surface with a soft finger and dragged but nothing happened. The angry bird just sat there idly.

“Eh? What the- ,” you tried dragging it and it worked. The red bird launched itself and landed on the block tower before exploding into feathers.

How odd…

You encourage him to try again, only for the same thing to occur. Disappointed, the bunny deflated and sighed. He really wanted to launch the birdies to their doom.

“I guess the phone can’t detect fabric,” you stated. You shifted a little to make yourself comfortable before continuing, “Just tell me what you want do. My finger shall be your puppet.”

The bunny beamed under the mask, at least you think he did, and wiggled his ears in happiness. He showed you how to angle the catapult for a perfect descend.

 

* * * * *

 

You yawned as you shut the door. You looked up to see the wall clock showing that it was already 3 am. No wonder your eyelids felt heavy.

You turn off the lights and shuffled your way to bed. As you crawled on top of the mattress, you noticed Shishimato sitting by the window. He stared out blankly, sitting still and calmly breathing the night air.

“Hey Shishimato, aren’t you going to sleep?” you said softly as to not wake anyone up from their slumber. You pulled your legs up, hugging them. Then, rested your chin on your knees as you gazed at the doll you won days ago.

Your words seemed to have brought him out of his daydreaming. He fidgeted a little before spouting his nonsense language at you. At your surprised expression, he realised that you didn’t understand and pulled at the small sketchbook (you gave it to him earlier) that he was leaning on.

He uncapped the Sharpie and wrote quickly.

I don’t sleep.

Surprised, you asked, “So, you’ve been awake? All this time, for like days?”

He nodded with a grunt. You hugged your legs tighter as you took in the information. “Then, what have you been doing- you haven’t been staring at me while I sleep, have you? Cause that’s creepy.”

I hope no Twilight is happening.

You leaned away as the bunny scribbled furiously. When he finished, he looked at it and approved with a nod before showing it to you.

I stare at the Moon.

You followed the doll’s gaze outside the window. Your eyes met the beautiful starry sky, a rare sight to see in the city but perhaps it’s a special night. The Moon especially looked more radiant than usual, combined with shimmering stars around it.

“My grandfather… used to have a saying he would tell me. The Moon is embraced by the stars,” you your lips as you too were caught in the planet’s beauty. You grandfather said many wise things, of course you didn’t understand most of them but this was the most memorable.

“The Moon is ethereal alone but with the stars, she shines brighter and becomes more beautiful. The light from the stars supports her…,” you smiled when you remembered his words.

Shishimato had been looking at you since you began speaking. He tilted his head in wonder as he waited for you to finish.

“Then he would say, you’ll find your star someday,” you chuckled and pulled the covers over your legs. “My grandfather was a cheesy man.”

You looked to see Shishimato staring right at you. A sudden shyness crept up your cheeks.

Embarrassed, you dragged the covers higher until it covered half of your face, “Ahhhaa… Look at me, so sleepy I’m spouting nonsense! Hahaha… Well, time to sleep. Goodnight.”

 You dived into bed and willed yourself to fall asleep.

Shishimato blinked rapidly before comparing the human girl to the Moon.

Pretty.

 


 

A/N: And we're done here! They are slowly getting closer, according to plan.. ngeh ngeh ngeh >:D

Comment, so I can know your opinion and improve my writing!

And as promised, Yongguk spam!

 

And lastly,

Credits to those who posted these on tumblr!