Claw Crane

Shishimato Adventures

The number you have dialled is unavailable. Please leave a message after th-

“That … If he wanted to break up, the least he could do is to say it to my face,” you sighed. Today is not good day. Not only did your boyfriend of 2 years left you but now, you are left standing, drenched in the middle of the pouring rain at the park where you first met each other.

You heaved another sigh. Daehyun was your fourth boyfriend and you were so sure he was the one. He had a handsome face, he was romantic, loving, gentle… and a liar, and a cheater and a douche.

“I should have known. He was too good to be true.”

You shook your head in an attempt to remove the rainwater from your hair, though it was pretty much useless since you were still standing in the rain. And not to mention, you resembled a dog after a bath, shaking off water from its fur.

Speaking of dogs, “If I was a dog, what breed would I be? A Schnoodle? I would love to be a Schnoodle, Schnoodles are cute. Ah! I have to get out of this rain.”

Curse my random curiosity!

You ran out of the park and into the street, passing by several houses before reaching the main road. There, you spotted a brick red building, decorated with neon lights of every possible colour of the rainbow. Without giving a second thought, you rushed into the building and away from the cold droplets of the rain.

As you entered, you noticed several others that also sheltered themselves behind the solid brick walls. After a closer inspection, you noticed that most of them were couples. Hugging and using tissues to wipe the water from each other’s features. And some even, using it as a chance to gaze lovingly into each other’s eyes.

“Great…,” you muttered.

Needing to excuse yourself from the love in the atmosphere, you walked around the perimeter in search for a public toilet. You passed machine after machine. It became clear that you had taken refuge inside of an arcade. A pretty big one, you might add.

“I’ve never been here. It must be new.”

Still looking for a toilet, you finally reached the opposite side of the arcade. You stopped.

Public toilets are not in service. We apologize for the inconvenience.

“Are you kidding me?”

Frustrated, you threw your hands into the air before covering your face and like a dying whale.

God, am I an experiment? Am I a play thing to you? Why are you doing this to me?

You leaned against the closest object, which was the claw crane machine, as you moaned, wailed and shrieked into your hands. People can call you emotionally unstable as much as they want to but you couldn’t care less. Nothing was going well today. You turned to face the machine and banged your head against it to clear your head.

Your hands dropped as you let the coolness of the machine’s glass window envelope your senses. With your forehead still attached to the glass, you let out a warm breath that fogged the surface of the window.

It calmed you down, the coolness and the little vibrations of the mechanical box. At least until the annoying music started to play.

Irritated, you slowly opened your eyes as the fog started to fade.

A white figure caught your eye. You focused your eyes onto an animal plush toy inside the box.

“A pirate alpaca,” a small smile began to form on your lips.

It was the most adorable thing. Pink cotton vest, white scruffy - looking fur, floppy ears, beady round eyes, a cute pirate hat on top of its little head and the size - oh my goodness, the size was just perfect enough to hug and cuddle and you wanted it.

After spending a couple of wons for the tokens just enough for five tries, you stationed yourself in front of the claw crane machine and placed your shoulder bag on the floor.

With determined eyes, one hand took hold on the fluorescent red joystick and the other hovered above the colourful buttons. And so the first round began.

“Alright, bring it to the chute, bring it to the- No!” you shouted as your prize dropped halfway towards the dispenser. You stared at the toy, even more determined than before. Determination is good. You wouldn’t be the ace player of your school’s archery team if you didn’t have determination.

Round after round passed but you still didn’t win your prize. Just as you were about to start the fifth and final round, you smartphone vibrated rapidly in your pocket. The song Almost Paradise from the drama Boys Over Flowers blasting throughout the arcade.

You froze. That catchy and slightly annoying song when listened in succession is the ringtone for one person only.

Your mom.

“,” how do you explain to her that you ran out of the house instead of washing the vegetables for dinner, ran to the park on the other side of town, just before it started to rain, only to have your dumped by your boyfriend who didn’t even show up.

You don’t.

After a quick prayer, you answered the call and placed your smartphone in between your left shoulder and ear, “Yes mom?”

“Where have you been? The vegetables weren’t washed and your brother had to do it for you.”

Good. At least he got off his lazy and did something productive.

You started the game and tried multitasking. Your eyes were latched to the arms of the claw as it hovered above the alpaca. You had to get it this time, it was your last chance. Using the joystick, you adjusted the crane for an accurate descent.

“What did you say?” you heard from the other side.

“Nothing, I didn’t say anything. I uhh…, went to… school. I left something there. Yeah, something really important.”

A long pause followed but your mother didn’t question anymore. Instead, she sighed as you heard the sound of metal hitting the floor in the background. Your brother must have dropped the pot again.

You shifted as your shoulders began to feel uncomfortable, “Then make sure you do what I asked first if it happens again. I don’t think I can survive with Jongdae in the kitchen. I pray for the lady who will marry him.”

“I don’t think she can survive too mom,” you chuckled.

She clicked her tongue, a habit you and Jongdae got from her, “Well, get moving and come home right now. I’m making Gejang for dinner.”

Crabs? For dinner?

Surprised at the thought of your mom cooking your favourite dish, your fingers accidently pushed the joystick causing it to jerk to the side. The timer buzzed and the claw descended to grab the toy just beside the pirate alpaca.

“No!” you shouted and stared at the claw in disbelief as it dropped the wrong toy into the chute.

You heard your mother gasped on the other end of the line, “No? But you like crab…”

“No, not that… I mean, G- Gejang?” you asked, with a slight squeak at the end.

“Yes, Gejang. So get your bum home right away missy or I’ll give your portion to your brother. And grab some eggs along the way.”

You heard Jongdae cheering in the background before she hung up and you knew your mom was serious.

You hurriedly picked up your bag by its strap and ran towards the exit. Only to make a U-turn to grab the miniature toy from the dispenser before stuffing it into the bag. It may not be the toy you wanted but it’s better than nothing.

 


 

A/N : Schnooodle-loooooo, have you guys ever seen a Schnoodle?

Look at them, they're like little teddy bears. AWWWW ><

Look at those eyes... Don't you just want to cuddle them?

Puppy OVERLOAD

Ehem.. Anyways, here's Ace the Pirate Alpaca

Well, at least the hipster edition ft EXO Kris's hand.