Exploring

Blood and Dust

 

“Wake up, Little Flower Girl,” A voice sang, pulling the young faerie from her dreamland, “You need to wake up now. You have been sleeping too long,” a cool hand gently shook her by the shoulder, rousing her from her sleep.

The girl cracked open her eyes to find a smiling Key standing over her. His clothes were different, leading her to conclude she had slept at least one more day. However, the thing that caught the young one’s eyes most was the ceramic bowl in his hands, “What’s that?” she asked groggily, nodding toward the dish as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

“I made you breakfast,” Kibum beamed proudly, “I don’t know exactly how long it’s been since you last ate, but I know you’ve been here at least two days.”

Two days?” she raised her eyebrows in disbelief as she sat up and he set the warm bowl on her lap.

“Yes,” the vampire shrugged, “The food is delicious,” he nodded towards the bowl, “I made it myself and you should eat it before it gets cold… Your eyes are really pretty,” he abruptly changed the subject as he leaned in and studied face.

“Umm th-thanks…” the faerie replied awkwardly, pulling away and blushing slightly, “Have you never seen blue eyes before?”

“They aren’t blue anymore,” he grabbed the mirror from the table and traded her for the bowl of food; he then proceeded to make himself comfortable beside her on the bed.

Carefully taking the mirror, she cautiously peered at her reflection for the second time. Her long hair was even darker red-brown now as it cascaded over her shoulders and her skin was a deathly pale grey; but that wasn’t what startled her. She was stunned to see that her previously blue eyes—signature for water faeries—were now faded to a dark purplish maroon color, “What is happening to me? Why am I changing?” she looked helplessly at Key.

“You’re turning into a vampire,” he said gently as he looked down, “I’m sorry.”

The girl was stunned into silence once again at his words.

Before she could regain her composure, Minho entered the room, “Kim Kibum, stop bugging the girl. She will come out when she’s ready. Her change will just take longer to complete if you continue to pester her.”

Key groaned and rolled his eyes, “Alright, alright,” he turned his attention to the female and bowed his head slightly, as he rose from the bed, “Get some rest, and make sure you eat as well,” he reminded her.

She nodded obediently as he left the room, “He’s like a mother,” she chuckled to herself as she crossed her legs and took the bowl and went to take a bite.

“Yah,” Kibum peeked his head back through the door, “Can I know your name?”

The female blinked as she swallowed, “Suryeon. My name is Suryeon,” She answered.

“Water lily?” he chuckled softly, “It’s pretty. And definitely suits you,” he smiled before closing the door, leaving her alone for real this time.

But Suryeon didn’t really feel tired anymore, not even hungry. She simply felt weak, and knew exactly what she needed to fix it. Rising from the soft bed, the girl made her way to the large window. Pulling back the thick curtains, the sunlight poured in and she discovered what she previously thought was a window was actually a pair of French doors. As soon as the warmth touched her skin she began to feel better. I am a faerie; sunlight is what I need to get well. Turning the handles and opening the doors, she found herself on a small balcony.

The short stone wall was only a couple of steps out and curved to meet the walls just outside the windows on either side of the doors. Even with the limited space, it was enough for the faerie—now almost vampire—to get the sunlight she desired. Her pale skin soaked in the golden rays and her energy was renewed.

After a while looking out at the scenery around her and as much of the large mansion wall she could see, she grew bored and curious about the place. She was fully energized now and wanted to do something more active. Like Minho had said, she would venture out when she was ready.

Suryeon went back inside, closing the balcony doors and crossing the room. After opening the door as quietly as she could, she peered out of the room and looked both ways down the long hallway.

I wonder which way I should go...

She contemplated for a few moments before deciding to go right. She walked down the marble-floored hall that never seemed to end, her graceful steps soundless.

Finally she found herself at the top of an ornate staircase. It curved elegantly down, meeting a mirrored staircase in the middle and ending on a lower floor. They opened to a lobby area before doubling back on either side and splitting into two mirroring stairways that went down to yet another floor.

Making her way to the second floor and past the lobby, she found a hall almost exactly like the one outside her room. Closed doors lined the walls on both sides. There were a few time-worn pictures here and there and she glanced over them as she passed.

Frowning as she tried one of the doors and found it was locked; she skipped a couple before trying another: also locked. The female kept wandering like this until she finally came to a door that wasn’t closed all the way. She could faintly hear the notes of a piano from inside. Leaning against the wall, she stayed and listened to the smooth, quiet melody until it ended.

Suryeon had closed her eyes as she listened and was too lost in thought to notice when the door opened and Kibum came out, “You’re awake!” he smiled brightly but it quickly left his face as he looked around apprehensively, “How long have you been out here?” he asked his voice low and tense.

“Not long. Was that you playing, Key?” she answered before changing the topic and peering into the room to see the large grand piano.

“Yes. You shouldn’t wander around here by yourself. You aren’t fully changed and you still have normal human blood in you,” his fingers wrapped lightly around her wrist, “It isn’t safe. Come on,” he led her the way she had come down the hall, up the stairs, and back to her room. 

“What isn’t safe?” she asked curiously when they reached her door.

Key rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand, “I should’ve told you this earlier... I’m not the only vampire in the house,” he let out a sigh, “And the other vampires aren’t like me... Well, Onew is, but that’s because he’s half warlock. Also, you know the other vampires...” his voice trailed off and he gave her a sheepish look. 

Realization dawned on Suryeon, and her face clearly showed her understanding “Taemin and Jonghyun,” a chill ran down her spine as she uttered the words and she starred at Kibum, wide-eyed.

Key simply nodded.

She darted in the room and he followed close behind, still holding her wrist gently. Quickly closing the door, she leaned her back against it.

“Why are they here?” Suryeon cried, her voice laced with fear and incredulity.

“Umm… they live here…” he answered quietly, releasing her arm now that they were safely back in the room.

“What?! Are you kidding?! You must be joking!” she began rapidly pacing the room, rambling and waving her arms around frantically. The vampire simply watched her with a look of concentration.

When she finally paused to look at him, she didn’t expect him to look like he was thinking so hard, “Why are you looking at me like that?” she sighed, putting her hand on her hip.

“I’m trying to calm you down…” he continued to gaze at her, his voice distracted.

She repeated his words, thoroughly confused. “C-calm me down?”

“I’m like Taemin and Jonghyun; I have an ability,” he began to explain, “I can control emotions. But, I’m still young so while I can control humans easily, it’s hard to do non-humans. You must be changing a lot faster than we thought; I’m having trouble calming you…”

“Control… emotions?” she was still bewildered.

“Yes, I can make people feel whatever emotion I want them to. I can cheer up sad people, calm nervous people, and even make people get upset about nothing,” he let out a chuckle, “I’m young though, so I can control humans more easily than other vampires or other beings like us,” he clarified further.

“That’s… cool I guess… Wait,” she narrowed her eyes at him, “Are you using it on me right now?”

Key smiled playfully and cocked his head to the side, “Would you be taking this so well if I wasn’t?”

“You would be surprised at what I have encountered,” she went to sit on the bed and he followed her, “So I’m turning into a vampire?” she asked with a sigh.

“Yes. I’m sorry about what happened,” his voice sounded sad as he looked down at the blankets, “I’ll have to change these for you,” he mumbled to himself as he the blood stains.

“That’s strange, I wonder what will happen…” she trailed off in thought, pulling her knees up to her chest and resting her chin on them.

Key was confused by her words, “What do you mean? You turn from human to vampire like the rest of us—except Onew of course.”

“But I was never human,” Suryeon brought her gaze up at his perplexed face.

===================================================

Chapter 3~

I hope you liked it. This one was probably as long as one and two combined OTL

I know I could probably combine some of these chapters, but I like the way they end with cliffhangers >:D

I might even take everything down and put the chapters up one at a time again~^^

Anyway, hope you liked it<3

Comment please my loyal readers!!!