Chapter 1:I Shall Call You Kai

He's My Pet

"I am sorry, young man. I am not your noona. Unfortunately."

Jongin looked up, following the vertical striped lines on the apron worn by the person, to meet a handsome and utterly male face staring down at him.

Jongin yelped, hugging his own body tight as if to protect himself from the man.

"What is the matter with you?"The pale man asked in a rather unemotional tone which bidded no answer, a hand reaching out to touch Jongin's forehead.

He withdrew it when he felt the younger flinch, tightening his grip around the spatula in his left hand.

"You've sweated out your fever.How are you feeling? If you're fine, maybe you would like some breakfast? Dining table,"Junmyeon pointed to the dining table itself, turning around to leave Jongin still looking a little terrified.

But Jongin was hungry, and he was feeling less ty than he did yesterday, so he pushed the blanket off his self to follow Junmyeon. 

He was still a little wary after what had happened to him the day before.

He tried to catch Junmyeon's gaze from across the table but the latter was busy eating his food.

Jongin stared at the plate before him.Piping hot omurice laid in wait, with octopus-cut hotdogs at the side.

Well.

As expected, Jongin ate his meal in record speed, even to the extent of his plate clean (which thoroughly disgusted Junmyeon who let out a little grimace) before letting out a loud burp.

"That was delicious, hyung,"he gushed, eyes almost sparkling as he delivered his compliment.

Junmyeon showed absolutely no emotion at all, simply nodding modestly, even though his heart warmed a little.It had been so long since he last cooked for someone.Even with Minhee, he used to feel obliged to take her out to restaurants for dates.

"Ahhhh...."Jongin continued aimlessly, hoping that the older man would try to dispel the awkwardness.

But to no avail.

"Hyung, I bet you're wondering why I got beaten up so bad right?"

Junmyeon chuckled a little at the eager expression on the other's face, as he steepled his fingers to rest his chin on them.

"Yes indeed I am.Do tell."

And Jongin proceeded to tell him about the man who propositioned him the other night while he was about to dig into his ramyun outside the convenience store.

"I told him I wasn't gay! But what did he do? He tried to kiss me and of COURSE I had to throw my precious ramyun on his face because it-pardon my French-I am not queer at all! And even if he is, that doesn't give him the right to molest me, right? Right, hyung?"

Jongin looked at Junmyeon with big puppy eyes, wanting some acknowledgement. 

The older tried not to snort, imagining the young boy trying to get away from the wrath of a ert along the streets, but at the same time, feeling relieved that the cheerful kid only got beaten up by some thugs in the process.Thugs who were sitting and eating peacefully at the table beside his but unfortunately got involved when he knocked over their table while trying to escape said ert's clutches. 

"That was very entertaining, really,"Junmyeon got up, untying his apron,"but it seems like you've fully recovered.Those bruises will take some time to heal, but I think you're healthy enough to be on your way now?"

"B-but-"

Junmyeon collected their plates, calmly heading towards the kitchen.

"Don't tell me that you want to stay here with me?"He asked as he washed their plates, a lilt in his voice expressing his incredulity. 

"C-Can I?"The younger asked, his husky voice turning even more huskier, as though adding a lot more emotion to his voice will make Junmyeon acquiesce to the idea.

Junmyeon froze.

And then he wondered if the boy was being treated badly at home.Or if he was running away from home-Ah, that's it then.

He dried his hands with a towel cloth, throwing it one side as he turned to look at the boy. Who was nowhere in sight-

Because he was kneeling on the floor, face scrunched tight as he begged.

"Pleaaaaase? I swear I will do anything you ask of me.I will have with you too.You are pretty enough, for a guy-"

Junmyeon has had enough.He huffed, pinching the boy by the ear.

"Your parents must be really worried about you.You must get home.Get up.I'll drive you there.And anyway, I thought you're not gay, judging by what you've told me just now?"He asked in a condescending tone, hoping that the boy would just stand up because it seemed impossible that Junmyeon would be able to lug his tall body up.

"Heh.Well, if it's not forced, I wouldn't mind much. Even though it might be a little weird, wouldn't it? I've never really tried having with men before, though.Have you? And! And if you cook like this every day, I'll gladly have with you if only to eat your food.

Please?

Hyung?

Sir?

Oppa?"

Junmyeon rolled his eyes.What the ever-loving had he gotten himself into?

"I am not interested in you,alright?And I would really appreciate it if you would repay my kindness by getting out of my house instead of possibly landing me in hot soup, kid,"Junmyeon drawled, gently slapping the back of the younger's neck.

"Ahh, if that's the case, then how about taking me in as a maid?"

Junmyeon could easily tidy his house without any help.

"No?"

"As bros?"

"No!Get your goddamn off the floor!"

"Pet?"

Kai.

Junmyeon was suddenly assaulted by an onslaught of images in his head.Of the beautiful white Samoyed he once had when he was young.

"N-"

"Pet dog?"

Kai.

Junmyeon visibly tensed, as a wave of nostalgia hit him full force this time.He remembered the moments when he was truly happy.Of a time when he need not worry about anything in particular. 

When he still had his beloved dog at his side, big and lovely.Making him feel better after those times Appa scolded him for not paying attention in school.

And when Kai died, Junmyeon hadn't had a dog since then.He felt that if he had to endure such pain in order to take care of a pet, he might as well have none at all.

Jongin's smile lit up the whole apartment. 

"That's it then, right? A dog? You want a dog? I can be one for you! Woof! Woof!"He bumped his head into Junmyeon's thigh, gently nuzzling it.

And Junmyeon was actually considering it.

"Stop that! This-This is getting ridiculous!And your parents are probably searching for you right now!"

"Hyung, my parents are too used to me running away from home.They want to mould me into someone I absolutely do not want to be, and I hate that."

Junmyeon sighed.How different would that be from being treated like a dog then?

The younger boy seemed to have read his mind, surprisingly.

"At least being a dog is more fun then learning French for three hours for god-knows-what.I'm a dancer, damn it!English is hard enough for me to handle!"

Junmyeon sighed, squatting down to meet the other's eyes.

"Kai.I'll call you Kai from now on, okay?That was the name of the last dog I had,"he said at last, watching as Kai perked up.

It was probably his imagination, but Junmyeon could have sworn that Kai's ears twitched in happiness.

Kai nodded his head vigorously, as Junmyeon stood back up.

"Kneel!"Junmyeon commanded.

Kai knelt, waiting for the next command. 

"Play dead!"

Kai collapsed to the floor, leaving his tongue hanging out as he did so.

Junmyeon couldn't help but to let out an uncharacteristic giggle at the comical sight.He quickly shut his mouth when Kai peeked at him from one eye, his face turning stoic once again.

"Okay, boy.You'll do,"he now beckoned Jongin towards him, scratching his chin gently.

"I am Junmyeon, your master."

dog1-emoticon-002.gif


Junmyeon laid out the rules.

1) Kai will not talk unless Master allows him to.

2) Kai is allowed to get out of the house for some fresh air when Master is at work.

"Fresh air" referring to Kai's dancing classes.

3) Kai must obey Master.

Junmyeon frowned at the list.He wasn't sure what else he needed to add in it.He took another drag of his cigarette, thinking that he probably needed to observe his new pet for a few more days before coming up with more rules.Kai nudged Junmyeon's armpit with his head, whimpering lightly.

Smiling wryly, the older man raised his arm to let Kai wriggle under it, such that he could rest his head on Junmyeon's lap.

Instinctively,Junmyeon left his cigarette between his lips to scratch Kai's hair.He grimaced when he encountered dirt and oily strands of hair, making him recoil in disgust.

"You need a bath, Kai,"he said, patting Kai's shoulder firmly.

He patted Kai's shoulder to get rid of the grease on his hand, wiping it away on the boy's shirt.

Yuck.

He took a longer drag of his cigarette this time, letting the cancer stick fill his lungs even more fully, before adding another rule to the list.

4) Kai has to bathe twice daily. 


dog1-emoticon-002.gif


"Talk,"Junmyeon commanded, sinking his fingers into Kai's hair.

As his fingers collected foam, Kai decided to turn and look at him in question. 

"Talk.I'm letting you talk now, Kai,"Junmyeon repeated, urging his pet to look forward so that he could continue washing the latter's hair.

"I like that."

"Huh?"Junmyeon asked, as he massaged Kai's head.

"Whatever you're doing now.I like it.Love it, even, maybe.No one has ever done that for me.Well, not since I was little, anyway,"Kai replied,tilting his head even further back such that he could look at Junmyeon. 

It suddenly occurred to Junmyeon that the both of them were in a pretty intimate position.

No.

Kai is his pet.It's normal.

Kai smiled, and his eyes turned into cute little crescents.

"Hmm, I'm glad you like it, then,"Junmyeon told him, as he caught himself leaning towards the contented-looking face.

He pushed Kai's head forward, wanting to rinse the shampoo off the latter's hair.Junmyeon smiled when he saw the boy play with the foam in his bubble bath.

Kai used to enjoy his baths too.


dog1-emoticon-002.gif


The next day, Junmyeon received a surprise visit by no one other than Victoria, his long-time best friend, and her two-year-old daughter. He didn't even think that Victoria would suddenly decide to show up without telling him.

Kai was the one who answered the door, which made Victoria confused for a second.Had she just knocked on the wrong door? She was pretty sure that she hadn't seen the handsome boy in front of her before.

"O-Oh, Vic? You didn't...Didn't tell me you're coming, "Junmyeon greeted uneasily when he popped out of the kitchen, watching Victoria eyeing Kai suspiciously. 

"You're just in time for lu-"He didn't manage to finish his sentence before the woman grabbed him by the sleeve with her free hand, and into the kitchen, leaving Kai behind to shut the door.

 

dog1-emoticon-002.gif


"Umm...Junnie, who is he?"She asked, letting go of her friend as soon as they got to the kitchen. 

"Uhh...It's really weird but..."Junmyeon didn't know how to tell his best friend that he'd just acquired a pet.

It's just too ing weird but then again, Victoria herself was ing weird before she married her beloved pilot husband.Wait,she still is.

"He's my pet,"he whispered, his words making the woman's eyes widen as large as saucers.

"Kim Junmyeon! I never knew that you are into these sort of things!"

"What?! No, Vic, it's not what you think it is."

And he proceeded to tell Victoria everything which had happened the day before.Her endearing facial expressions were almost too comical to bear; she couldn't believe that her most rationale friend turned out to be even more wild than she'd made him out to be.

She knew though, that Junmyeon might be feeling a little out of sorts after the recent break-up with Minhee, and finding out about her impending marriage.Maybe this...Kai....might help take his mind off Minhee and work.She had always known that Junmyeon had a sort of motherly streak in him, but she had never thought much about it because with Minhee, it had always been the latter trying to take care of Junmyeon, not the other way round.

However, back when they were in high school, Victoria remembered Junmyeon taking care of her when she fell sick.She almost thought that she was in love with him but they kissed and not only was there too much spit but also disgust and disbelief and oh it was too horrible to even think of that particular incident. It was better that they stayed as friends.

Also, Taeyang, her precious little daughter, seemed to have developed an affinity for the man.Junmyeon wasn't particularly big on coddling kids, but her Taeyang was attracted to the boyish man the instant she was plopped into his arms.

Junmyeon hides behind a facade, revealing his emotions only when he feels the need to.Which was why it came as a shock to Victoria that her little daughter quite liked Junmyeon's attention. She recoils whenever her own father wants to take her into his own arms.

But that's probably because he's rarely at home, working to fly passengers from country to country.He even missed Taeyang's birth; Junmyeon was the one who held Victoria's hand throughout the entire ordeal and almost fainted when Taeyang's tiny head popped out all bloody and slimy.

They had to get another gurney to haul the poor man out of the operation theatre as soon as the baby was safely delivered.

Victoria frowned at Junmyeon as the latter began distributing the kimchi fried rice he'd just cooked,evenly onto three plates.

"Strawberry star puffs for Taeyang? "Junmyeon inquired, taking out a square container from a cabinet.

Taeyang gurgled adorably in response. 

"But Junnie...A pet...? It still sounds pretty to me."

Junmyeon let out a long withdrawn sigh.


dog1-emoticon-002.gif



"Kai, this is Victoria. Victoria, Kai."

"Hi!"Kai chirped, more intent on eating the food Junmyeon had just laid out than being introduced to Victoria. 

"Nom!"Kai told Taeyang, who giggled in mock understanding as she watched the former stick his face into the plate of rice before him.

Victoria sent Junmyeon a disgusted look at the young boy's behaviour, to which the man shrugged.He was secretly amused that Kai still didn't bother maintaining proper human decorum even though Victoria was there.

The woman's face softened as she watch her friend's face looking more relaxed than ever, muscles free from tension and stress.

 


STATUS:UNBETA-ED

A/N:

Hullos!Thanks for the upvotes and subs!Hope you enjoy this chapter~

It's all pretty mellow as for now^^ <3