Chapter 2:Pets That Talk

He's My Pet

"Junmyeon-sshi, I've compiled the files according to your instructions.Here you go,"Mirae squeaked, as she placed the stack of files on the man's table.

Junmyeon briefly thanked her, immediately reaching out to grab hold of a file as the petrified woman scurried away.

His forehead creased.

He then flipped through the other files meticulously. 

Junmyeon had to walk to Mirae's cubicle, placing the stack of files she had just given him on her table, as the young girl peered at him wide-eyed.

"Mirae.I think you'd incorrectly indented the texts in the content pages.And you'd also forgotten to include the recent month's reader statistics regarding our new article format.So-"

He was cut off by the girl bowing and apologising profusely to him, words broken by sobs as she promised not to make such a mistake ever again.

"Ah!I am so sorry.You know I'm not like you.I don't really have much knowledge when it comes to these things.Uh..Haha...Junmyeon-sshi,I am so embarrassed at how I may look like to yo-"

"I'm pretty sure there's a reason why you're working here.It's not that hard to just.Study.Learn,"Junmyeon cut her off,seemingly staring holes into her forehead.

And then Mirae burst into tears.

"I-I am so sorry.I won't make such a mistake ever again,"she blurted out,bowing excessively and sobbing even louder than ever.

Junmyeon was shocked.

He was only speaking the truth.What the hell...?

It seemed as though everyone's eyes were trained on them, and there were even some who gave him disapproving shakes of their heads.There was that look of sympathy.For Mirae. 

Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes, trying not to let his anger get the best of him.He his heel, leaving behind the confines of the department to have a smoke.

"Oh dear, poor Mirae. She'd just started working here."

"You would have thought that he would at least spare her instead of hounding her like a wolf."

"That happens when you think you're better than everyone else."

"Huh.He made his ex-girlfriend cry and literally drove her into another man's arms. Why are you all so surprised about him making the new intern cry, then?"

 

dog1-emoticon-002.gif

Junmyeon shakily took a deep drag of his cigarette, flicking into an ashtray every once in a while.Why couldn't he do something without receiving criticisms at least once? He knew that the entire department was aware of his nowhere near average qualifications, but that didn't mean that he's any different from them.He works just about as hard as the next person, If not more.

Why does that make him egoistical and self-centred, then?

It was alright when he was dealing with foreign affairs.However,ever since he was moved[read:demoted] to the monthly female fashion magazine department by his boss out of spite, he found it even harder to cope with his surroundings.He knew that his ex-boss wanted him to give up and quit but of course,he wouldn't let that piece of win.Female fashion magazine or not,he was going to make his mark.

He viciously stubbed out his cigarette before throwing it into the bin.

Junmyeon was then about to leave, when a man entered.He was tall.Really tall.

Even taller than Kai, even.The human Kai.Not the dog.

His broad shoulders seemed to be taking up too much space in the lounge, making Junmyeon hyper aware of his own average height and scrawny frame.

"Oh.Um.Hi,"the other man started, upon seeing Junmyeon there.

The latter gave a brief smile, eyes touching the shock of blond hair on the other's head.It was only when their eyes met that something clicked in his brain.

"Yifan?"

"Junmyeon? "

The shorter of the two men reeled in shock; as if he'd just seen a ghost.A ghost of the past, truthfully.

The man before him, standing tall and beautiful, was none other than his forbidden first love, Wu Yifan.

dog1-emoticon-002.gif

Junmyeon was sipping on his himalayan tea, surreptitiously watching Yifan from under his lashes.

Junmyeon had always known that he's biual ever since high school,but he'd thought that he would end up falling in love with a girl and eventually marry her when the perfect time comes.

Which was why it came as a surprise when he found out that he was crushing badly on his Chinese Canadian high school senior, Wu Yifan. Victoria knew about it.She was the one who urged Junmyeon to confess but the latter, being cowardly and unassuming, thought What if he isn't gay? What if he looks down on me afterwards? What if he decides to ridicule me because I, Kim Junmyeon, confessed to him? What if? What if? What if.

Also,he was worried about his mother's reaction to him bringing home a boyfriend for dinner.It all seemed really impossible at that time and that was why Junmyeon thought that it was much better for him to keep quiet and enjoy Yifan's gummy smiles,charming manners,and gentlemanly actions.

However, Junmyeon regretted not ever taking the chance to confess when, on the day Yifan was scheduled to fly to the USA to further his studies, the older boy gave him a light peck on the lips.He was caught off-guard, thinking that Yifan was only going to give him a simple friendly hug, but no.

It was with a light blush and a small wave that Yifan left, years ago.

And now he's back, working in the same company as Junmyeon. It must be...

"Fate."

"Huh?"Junmyeon asked in surprise, jolted out of his reverie. 

"If must be fate, to be working in the same company after years of not seeing each other,"Yifan replied, a charming smile on his face as he studied Junmyeon's puzzled face.

The latter almost smirked.He was thinking the exact same thing.When Junmyeon met Yifan's eyes, his cheeks promptly heated up.He only hoped to God that his cheeks weren't burning bright red.It was ridiculous how he seemed to turn into a puddle of mush around Yifan. Some things never change.

Except Yifan's hair.

The taller man laughed when he noticed Junmyeon's eyes on his hair.

"Is it that weird? I didn't really think that blond's a good look on me but it sort of stuck, I guess,"he muttered, ruffling his hair.

"Ah! No, it suits you, really.You look more Canadian, truthfully,"Junmyeon rushed, and then almost squeezed his eyes shut in embarrassment at how he's almost gushing.

Relax Junmyeon.Relax.It's just Wu Yifan.

He settled instead for a stern talking-to to himself in his head.

"That's good to hear,"Yifan said in a teasing tone, eyes twinkling as he studied the other man's expression. 

Junmyeon let slip a small smile,as he started on another topic.

"So...I heard that you were transferred here from the headquarters in America..."

 

dog1-emoticon-002.gif

 

When Junmyeon got home that evening, Kai was writhing around on the floor.He flashed a sad puppy dog look at Junmyeon as he got flat on his back and rubbed his tummy.It was grumbling really loud.

"Alright, alright Kai.Just wait a minute,"he cajoled, bending down slightly to give the younger boy a pat on the head.

He quickly don his apron, pulling out a few packets of ramen.As he cooked, Kai quietly slipped behind him, circling his arms around Junmyeon's slim waist.

The latter froze for a while, feeling somewhat weird, but shrugged it off.

"What are you cooking, Myeon Myeon hyung?"He asked, his breath tickling Junmyeon's ear.

The older man creased his eyebrow.

"What did you just call me?"He asked Kai, turning his head a little to stare at his pet.

"I was wondering what to call you.Hyung is not very pet-like...And...Myeon Myeon!No one calls you that!"The young boy blurted out eagerly. 

Junmyeon had to restrain himself from slamming his head onto the kitchen countertop because...Oh dear God... What a horrible nickname.

"But I am your master and I refuse to be called that."

"Junma?"

"Nope."

"Junmama?"

"Kai-ah,I'm a man!"

"Really? You don't look like on-Oof! What was that for?Hmm..Junnie?"

"Only my friends call me that."

Kai flinched,but Junmyeon pretended not to notice.He didn't really know why Kai would react in such a manner.They don't even know each other that well anyway.

"Ah...I guess we need a more special one then.Jun-nim? How about Jun-nim?"

Junmyeon tested it out under his breath.It sounds nice.It sounds both intimate and formal at the same time.Perfect, even.

"Bingo,"he chirped, before tasting the ramen soup to make sure he'd put in just enough seasoning in it.

 

dog1-emoticon-002.gif

 

"I don’t get it, Jun-nim? It's only ramen but why does it taste so damn good?"Kai asked, almost sobbing as he slurped down the rest of the ramen.

Junmyeon didn't know whether to arch an eyebrow or smile fondly at his pet in response.Or whether he should just vomit blood all over the table.

"Uhh? Probably because I added in some meat and vegetables? You should try doing that too, someday."

Jongin scoffed.

"Yeah, like that'll ever happen."

dog1-emoticon-002.gif


"So....You seem to be in a pretty good mood, Jun-nim...Did you score a date with a girl or something,"Kai asked, splashing around in the bathtub to face Junmyeon.

"No! No.What are you talking about.?"The latter replied, scowling as he scrubbed Kai's head harder, making the poor boy wince.

That also made the younger turn back to his original position.

Junmyeon then continued in a sombre tone,"I just broke up with my girlfriend of two years.I don't think I'll be able to find a replacement this fast."

"But she did, didn't she?"The taller inquired, playing with the foam in the bathtub. 

He vigorously scrubbed Kai's head once again, hoping to make the boy feel dizzy and stop stop being too insightful.

"You weren't suppose to be this smart for a pet.But...Yes.It was because she found a replacement for me that I decided to break up with her."

Junmyeon noticed that Kai stopped playing with the foam for a while, and they let silence take over for a few seconds.

"Well,that .It's okay, Jun-nim.Her loss, my gain,"Kai said in a matter-of-fact tone.

The older man blinked his eyes a few times,and he even had to tamp down a large sob threatening to burst out of his mouth.He didn't know that hearing just a few simple words was able to affect him this greatly.

dog1-emoticon-002.gif

Junmyeon woke up feeling unusually warm.He was more used to the cool draft settling in the early morning instead of such...Warmth.

Breathe.I need to breathe.

That was when he realised that there was a body on top of him.Not only that, but there was something exceedingly hard prodding his thigh.

"Geroff!!"He mumbled angrily and incoherently, pushing the snoring log off him.

It was Kai.But of course.

"What are you doing in my bed?"Junmyeon asked Kai, who had just woken up.

The latter groggily looked at him, his lips as he whimpered,"It was too cold outside."

Junmyeon sat up and frowned down at the boy.

"But it's okay! I didn't touch anything though! It's a pity that you don't have any s to speak of though because God they're so comfy. BUT like I said, it's alright because you're a guy-"

A pillow slammed onto his face before he could finish his sentence. 

"No.Just-Don't even bother explaining yourself,"Junmyeon whispered as he got out of bed, dragging the blankets along with him like a cape.

"A-And I'm sorry about my ahem jabbing you inappropriately. I wasn't aroused by you or anything! It just happens!"

Junmyeon turned, his eyes seemingly squinting at Kai.

"I know.I am a guy too, aren't I?"He asked tiredly.

Kai sat on his haunches on the bed, awkwardly tugging at the seams of his sweatpants.

"Yes.Yes.

And actually, it was because of your ahem poking me that my ahem got ridiculously out-of-controooooo-

WAIT!What have you got there? A remote control? 

Wait, are you going to throw it at me, Jun-nim? 

No! Please!! 

Think about it!! 

This is animal abuse! 

Ow! 

No! Not the lamp too-

GOD SAVE YOUR SOUL JUN-NIM!"

 

 


 

STATUS:UNBETA-ED

A/N:

You'll find out why Junmyeon was demoted in the next chapter.

No.Junmyeon and Yifan aren't dating yet,as you can see.

And no I'm not letting Junmyeon be nicknamed Suho this time round lol.

Hope you all liked this update~xx