Waking Up. (Ken - Part One.)

Spectrum.

My nose drags along the dirt of the ground, in taking the scent of various beings that have walked the path I was currently on. There are spots of familiar ones, like N and Brynne, but so many new ones. There was the odd scent here and there, but luckily, in my surroundings, it was generally floral.

Being an animal had its ups and down, and being one with such a touchy nose was, in what I saw a blessing. Especially so since I was one that was both creature and human, even though I didn’t have much choice in it.

I pause when my ears twitch to the left, hearing a strange crack in the distance. Assessing it for only a moment, I choose that it was there to cause no harm, most likely an animal awakening from their nights slumber.

I keep my four paws moving forward towards Connors shop, eager to see someone I cared about very much. Although, I wondered if it was only my human version he truly cared about.

Once I make out the sidewalk that leads into town, I take a moment to let my yellow eyes scan over the perimeter, making sure there was no threat to my being. I can see the roof top of Connors home and my legs move more quickly once I am finished looking over the area.

‘I wonder if Ken will be awake by now.’       

The thought dances around in my head as my stomach flip-flops in excitement.

Even if I was a type of fox, I still had the thoughts and emotions of a human, especially since I was in love with one and it was one of reciprocation.

I turn my trot into a run, moving quickly to Connor’s shop. I find myself in front of it all too quickly and before letting my paw scratch the wooden bottom, I try to make sure my fur isn’t ragged looking. The glass of the entrance is highlighting my image, my fiery hair glowing in the morning light. Although in my fox form, I was still concerned as to how I look if I was going to be in his presence.

The door has light spilling through it, alerting me that someone is awake so I know I wouldn’t be a bother if I was to “knock” on the door. So I lift my paw and let my nails tap delicately on the wood part of it, hoping at least N could hear me.

My tail whips back and forth when I hear footsteps inside the shop and when someone emerges from the counter, I’m happy to see the new boy, Ravi, coming to open it for me.

When he does, he smiles down at me, holding it open for me and giving me a greeting.

“Hey Melody, Ken’s still asleep but I cracked the door open for you,” Ravi instructs while nodding his head towards the stairs.

I bow my head a bit in thanks before trotting up the stairs, making my way eagerly to his room. Just as told, the door is inched open and I slink my way in, pushing it closed softly with my head.

When I turn towards the bed, Ken’s splayed out in his bed on his stomach, his head engulfed in the feather pillow. His back is showing, the blanket only pulled up to his waist.

If I could smile I would… I wanted so much for one day to finally come when I could admire this every morning while holding him with my human hands instead of twelve times a year.

I am careful when I jump onto his bed, hoping that I would wake him as I found a comfortable place in his bed. The sheets are soft compared to my forest home, the grass not as welcoming as the silky cotton encircling me now.

I can’t help myself when I press myself up against his skin, the warmth from it comforting as I think about the current form I am in.

‘Please, can’t this just go away…? I want to be with him every day.’

When I rest the jaw of my head on his bicep, the muscles of his arm being something I admired thoroughly, I hear a groan escape his lips.

My eyes lock on his face, waiting for his lids to open and stare at me.

“Hum, what do I do…?” He breathes through puffed lips, opening his eyes finally and making out my curled up form.

“Ah, Melody,” he breathes, “my love, why are you here so early?”

‘What do you mean early? Can’t I come see you when I’m not a human…?’

I nudge my snout under his arm, encouraging him to his handsome hands over my ears and head to which he complies with a sweet smile.

I let out a strange whine, hoping the tone of annoyance would come across. Ken laughs quietly as his fingers scratch my ears.

“Don’t get me wrong, I like it like this… I just wondered because the full moon isn’t until later.”

My ears perk forward in happiness, the hours soon to be counted down by both of us so we could spend the evening and night together. Although short, anything was wonderful at this point in time… The paste eight years it was all we had to look forward to as he worked towards finding me a cure. Yet, the ending was still unplanned.

My Father owed a high debt to a sorcerer who used me instead of my father in a ploy to earn the money back… It was a dirty trick, and became even worse when he told us that if we were to break it without his consent, he would kill us all.

As much as I hated my days as a fox, I couldn’t bear the idea of being responsible for both my Father’s and Ken’s deaths. So I stayed like this… Only slightly discouraging the idea of a cure.

‘I love you too much to know you could die because of me.’

If it came down to it, I would tell him to find another lover and move on with his life… As much as I hated the idea of this, I wanted him to be happy more than anything else in this world. He cared for me for so long, and I felt that I was using his love… taking it for granted. He had a beautiful heart, and if this pained him too much in the future, I would let him go to find a woman to grace with his caring nature.

I can feel my eyes sting at the thought, but I am unable to cry in this form so I inch myself closer to him, finding his touch comforting.

“Oh,” he breathes, “N said he wanted to ask you some questions later about the sorcerer… I know it sounds strange, but he’s really sure of something, so I agreed.”

I move my head slightly in agreement, letting him know that it was alright.

He smiles again and I feel butterflies float through my chest.

“I’m sleepy, Melody… let keep sleeping for just a little while?” He asks with an adorable smile on his face.

I move my head once more, squishing against his back as his eyelids closed once more, hoping that he was dreaming of me.

‘Good-night, my love.’

I close my eyes, finally drifting into a peaceful slumber, waiting for the evening to come.


Ah! Sorry for the short chapter, but I wanted to introduce the characters quickly :D I hope everyone is excited to the story for Melody and Ken ~

Anything italisized is Melody's thought (which should be fairly obvious ;P) but I thought I should leave a not mentioning that just in case anyone were to get a bit confused.

Enjoy!