Chapter 4: Park is for free

Korean Vacation [ON HIATUS]

 

“Chermarie what brings you here?” asked Mr. Park after sitting across from me in a hushed voice since filming is still ongoing. “I’m on a vacation here in Korea and I was lucky enough to get recruited as an extra for this shoot.” I replied smiling genuinely at him.

Mr. Park is one of my favourite clients. A kind man at his late fifties, Mr. Park was one of my first international clients. He took a shot at my rookie PR Company to be the representative of his agency for Manila when they decided to extend their company internationally. Ever since then we’ve done a lot of business together and became good family friends. Whenever he’s in the country he and my Dad would go for a two – day road trip in the country to go bird watching.

“Do you have a talent here?” I asked him offering him one of my untouched sandwiches. He shook his head and said, “They used to be my talent but I’m just overseeing their activities as one of their bosses. Their manager is with them and Chermarie please I’m quite full already. I’ve had my lunch on the way here.” He laughed at my obvious cringe when he called me my full first name instead of, “Rie”

“Alright then if you’re sure.” I said with a smile. “Who are you overseeing then?”

“Can you see those two men with the blonde hair?” he said turning away from me to look at them. I hesitantly did the same knowing who I’ll be seeing none the less. I was horrified to see GD glancing our way and whispering something to T.O.P. as they automatically laughed at something Lee Seunggi said while hosting. “They’re one of our best talents actually. Are you well acquainted with them? I noticed you talking to them awhile ago when Jiyong -ssi’s dog came after you.” He explained with a knowing look (There’s only one thing that my Dad and Mr. Park disagrees upon and that’s me dating. The former hates the idea whereas the latter enjoys setting me up on dates). “You saw that?” I said slumping in my chair. “Everyone did my dear.” He said consoling me with a pat to my hand. “Well it’s nothing really he just apologized for the trouble his dog caused. So how’s auntie?” I hastily said to change the subject. He shrugged off the question with a, “She’s fine.” He faced me completely this time and looked at my flaming face closely. “Who is it?”

“No one! There’s no one uncle!” I said helplessly and laughing at the same time. “Fine, fine I won’t punish you any longer. How’s your father? Has your mother allowed him to buy that Macau bird he’s been after?” he said.

For the remainder of the afternoon Mr. Park sat with me while catching up with each other. He was also a great deal of help in translating to me what Joe’s cue cards means as well as what’s happening exactly in the shoot when we are running out of things to talk about (Which is really rare). At quarter to five, he excused himself for awhile with a promise to get back. During his disappearance I amused myself by watching the people inside the coffee shop interact with each other and mused to myself how I missed being in this environment like this. If it weren’t for the fact that I preferred being in my company I would’ve still continued working at our local television network in Manila. Suddenly after around 3 hours of filming, everyone in the crew (including the extras and idols) were given a 20 minute break as the director and the writers survey the film taped as announced by Joe. I was about to stand up and carry my tray back to the counter where Toni’s manager is handling the empty dishes being given back to him by the staff, when Mr. Park came by me once again with GD, T.O.P. and their manager in tow. “Where are you going Chermarie?” he asked me. “Just bringing these plates back, sir, I’ll be right back.” I replied to him. Before he could reply, I quickly left them and headed to the counter where coincidentally Hani was standing nearby. “Rie-ssi!” she greeted me with a smile. “How’s filming?”

“Stressful.” I replied to her surprise. “Just kidding, I’ve got to hurry Hani but let’s talk right after ok?” I said to appease her just in time when I saw my uncle’s impatient glance at me while he was talking to the three men. She said ok and I walked back to the booth. I can’t help but curse the old man when I noticed how they were seated inside the booth. He and the manager were sitting side by side while T.O.P. was sitting at their opposite and GD was sitting at a chair at the head of the table thus forcing me to sit in between GD and T.O.P.

“There you are, as I was saying to these gentlemen, Chermarie is a most trusted business associate of mine from the Philippines.” Mr. Park began, as he introduced me properly to the three. I kept my mouth (and phone too) shut throughout this ordeal except when they asked me directly a question. Just when I thought that this could not get any worse he directed a question to the two guys beside me. “What is with you young people and your insistence to stay single? Are you single?” he asked in passing. “Chermarie refuses to date properly. Perhaps it’s her father but then again she’s not living with them anymore.”

“I’ve been busy Mr. Park so I can’t really afford to date right now. Business is thriving and I don’t want to miss any opportunity by mingling with strangers and attempting to make some sort of closure through mindless small talk.” I told him once again with gritted teeth. “But you’re not at the office, you’re on vacation. I just want you to enjoy your twenties.” He said in a tone that I could not refuse. I nodded mutely and remained silent throughout the whole thing once more. Finally when the people were called back again to take place, Mr. Park and I bid them a good luck. T.O.P. however stopped in his tracks to look at me and address me properly. “Maybe you should listen to your uncle. Perhaps mindless small talk could offer you more than you think it would.” He told me while placing his hand at GD’s blonde hair and making a mess of it at the same time. I couldn’t find a reply to that so I just nodded and faced Mr. Park once more when they were far enough to hear. “How about some coffee?”