Chapter 2: FANtastic Cats

Korean Vacation [ON HIATUS]

 

An hour and a half has passed since my impromptu conversation with Hani and I’m already on my way to the café she mentioned earlier which was a coincidence since it was the same café where I buy my coffee everyday since I’ve been here. I glanced at my watch as it read 12:45 pm while I made my way to the place, wondering what variety show exactly is being shot there. As I crossed the street and walked the side walk pavement towards the quaint café, I noticed a lot of people crowding the place. Most of them by the looks of it are from the crew and staff of the variety show and as I approached them, I saw Hani talking to a camera man and another crew member. She quickly noticed me as I made my way to her and waved at me enthusiastically. “Hi!” she said happily giving me another once over. “Wow, you look really lovely, not that your outfit awhile ago was bad or anything but this is really pretty.” She said of my outfit for that afternoon, a white knitted lace top with a rich blue ribbon tied loosely around the neck, a thick gray wool cardigan, wide legged black slacks and 4 – inch heel platform pumps. “Thanks.” I said, flattered at her compliment. “Where do I sign up? You said there’ll be a listing of the extras during call time.”

“Oh right, well here it is.” Hani replied to my inquiry while offering me a black clipboard that she’s been clutching. “Just put your name, age, gender, and contact number there.” At this she tiptoed in her flats to glance at the clipboard I was holding up in front of my face and to point out where I should write down each category. I stared blankly at the page in front of me that’s already filled out by around twenty nine people already ahead of me. It was all written in Korean characters that I have no clue as to what it says so I looked at Hani helplessly. “What’s wrong?” she said curiously at the look I gave her. “I can’t write in Korean.” I said.

“That’s alright, we have guests actually who can read and write in English. They’re amazing and good looking too. They’ll help us in that.” She told me dreamily while I wrote down my name, age, gender and my mobile number from Manila (I didn’t have any other mobile number, I just hastily wrote on the side that it wasn’t a Korean number). I gave back the black clipboard to Hani and she walked with me to the place where all the extras will be settled. As we were walking she explained to me what I’ll be doing. Basically from the ramblings that she told me on the 2 minute walk we had to the inside of the café, the extras will be in three rows. The first row are the extras who will be seated in the chairs near the set made by the director for the guests (they’ll be the one in charge of acting looking interested at what’s happening and reacting to it as well); the second row will be people crowding the terrace outside the café (they’ll be in charge of the audience applause, and vocal reactions); and finally the third row will be people behind the second row near the streets already (they’ll be the barricade for the other people that would distract the shoot). There would be around fifty extras but most of them would be placed at the second and third row since only about six to eight people can fit inside the already crowded café.”Hani-ah!” a tall young man called out after Hani. “There’s a problem outside! The fan groups that have contacted us are outside, they want to come in. The director is getting more and more upset.” He said, his face crumpling in anxiousness at the same time as Hani’s. “Why? Wasn’t there someone in charge of settling matters with those groups? We have too many people already here.” She groaned in annoyance by the looks of her face.

*Dialogue in Italics are dialogue spoken in Korean.

Do something!” he nearly screeched as he glanced at the window of the room where we could see a number of women starting to crowd the front of the café. Hani was desperately looking around for help from the other staff while her hands clutched the hem of her white Doraemon sweat shirt. Having not understood a word they said I asked, “What’s wrong?”, as she whimpered in distress beside me. “Do you remember what I told you about the fan groups earlier?” she said and I nodded. ”Well they’re here and they can’t be here!” She was getting more flushed in the face in her distress. “He,” she said pointing to the young man next to me who was talking to his mobile phone in hurried Korean. “, wants me to do something about it because our superiors are busy enough with the hassled director, the crew members, primadonnas and their demanding managers so since I’m just an assistant I have to do the lesser jobs. But that’s just it! I’m just an assistant! Those people will not take me seriously due to my position!” Hani was near to hyperventilating by the time she finished her furious rant and the young man next to us and I were staring at her in astonishment. I narrowed my eyes at her and scanned her outfit that consists of black sequined flats, gray leggings, a white knee length pleated skirt and a white Doraemon sweat shirt. “Come here.” I commanded, grabbing her hand, as I dragged her to the bathroom at the back of the café. I locked the door of the whole restroom and started taking off my cardigan and kicking off my heels. “What are you doing?” she cried, backing away from me. “You want to be taken seriously? Then change your clothes. No one will take you seriously in those.” I nodded to her outfit. “We’re nearly the same size except for the top, are you wearing anything underneath that sweatshirt?”

“Uhm, yes there is a navy blue button up shirt.” She said hesitantly as she followed suit, kicking off her flats and taking off her sweat shirt. “Wear my heels, pants and cardigan for the afternoon. That way you’d look more business – like. Don’t slouch, tilt your head a bit as if an apple is dislodged in between your neck, put up your hair in a tight ponytail, walk in long strides, talk in a clear voice and don’t beg, make THEM beg.” I said as I counted off in my fingers the things that she should do in confronting the group of unwanted people outside the café. She kept nodding but then hesitated when we were both about to take off our pants. She raised an eyebrow at me and I pointed her to the bathroom stall indicating that I’ll change outside while she inside.

After a few seconds we finally emerged out of the bathroom wearing each other’s clothes and the young man we were with awhile ago gave us a questioning look as we passed him by on our way outside. We ignored him and continued on walking until we were in front of the group of women gathered outside. Hani glanced at me for the last time and with my nod she shouted, “Can I have the leader of this group in front?” A woman in her late twenties or early thirties walked up to us from the middle of the crowd. In a few seconds Hani and the leader fell into a heated conversation of Korean that made me feel out of place when I noticed that the other people understood what they were talking about.

Was it unclear to you in the message we sent through text and our call to you that fan groups are not allowed for this shoot due to explicit orders from the director and the producer?” Hani said in her most firm voice.

There was nothing unclear to us except your determination to keep us from showing our support to our idols.” Retorted the leader.

These idols are well aware of your support as well as their popularity already. We have already gathered a sufficient number for the audience without your help.

“This is a public place hence we are not committing any crimes for being here, in fact we’ll buy something from the establishment if that’ll give us a reason to stay. No matter what you say we won’t budge from our place.”

“It is a public place but you are causing public nuisance, I could report you and get your group taken to the nearest police station. And for your information this establishment is rented for the afternoon, the staff and its owner are only providing a private service for today. I will get you and your group out of here as is asked to me by the director and the management.”

“You’re just an assistant. You won’t be able to do anything about us. You think you’re some hotshot just because you’re wearing something fancy and you belong in a top corporation?

Hani narrowed her eyes and refused to comment at the personal jab made by the smug fan group leader. When I glanced at her she told me in English, “She just basically insulted me and my job and refuses to listen to me.” I looked at the other girl then back to Hani thinking of what my professor said about crowd control in our Communication Arts class back at the university. Hani and the other girl resumed their conversation ignoring me as I pondered quietly what to do about the stubborn lot. Finally after some mulling over I figured out a perfect compromise for the two.

“Stop!” I cried as I stepped in between the two girls who were now nearly face to face in their argument. The other girl glared at me while Hani tried to push me away but I stopped her and said, “I’ve got a compromise for you two, translate what I’m about to say, in Korean. Speak in a manner that I told you to.” She looked at me carefully as if wondering if what I’m planning to do would work. I don’t blame the girl, her job after all was in the line, but as I gave her another reassuring look she gave in and gave me way to talk. I cleared my throat and faced the throng of people (mostly women in their early thirties to their forties).

“As you know you’re not allowed to be in this shooting location due to strict orders from the management and the director himself. But I know for myself that you won’t listen to anyone and you would stick to your resolve on staying here no matter how many or what exactly the attempts are to keep you from going here. So we’re going to make a compromise like the civil people that we are. We will allow you to stay here but there will be a barricade separating you from the original audience. You are not to cheer or chant without the signal of the director, if you do chant without permission you will be personally escorted to the nearest police station by the hired security. You are not allowed to take pictures, ask photographs nor get any memorabilia from the establishment before, during and after the shoot. If we get wind of any news from the internet that this rule was disobeyed through posted pictures, blog or whatever means to spread this news, you will find out that this corporation has the best IT team in Korea as you see your computer shut down as soon as possible from the time your improper behavior was discovered as well as a lawsuit. And if you were caught today doing the act itself, then prepare to delete pictures or prepare to go to the police.”

Throughout this long drawn speech, Hani was busy translating it in Korean for the people to understand. In fact as I finished talking, I notice a few people from the crew and staff looking on with interest as this foreigner scolded these people in their behalf. Well at least I hope that’s what they’re thinking and not the fact that this sweatshirt is just a smidgeon tighter on me compared to Hani. The young man from before was one of them and he was standing next to a man who looked like the director or the head writer by the looks of how Hani’s co – worker acted around him. As Hani finishes explaining, the smug look on the leader’s face disappeared and was replaced by a ghostly pale face with angry eyes however to my surprise (and delight too) she reluctantly nods her consent and tells the others to follow this compromise strictly. Hani released a sigh of relief and dragged me aside thanking me profusely for the help. “That was amazing! Why didn’t I think of that?” she gushed happily as she watched the down trodden fans move away from the terrace to give space for the crew and the audience and settles themselves at the sidelines. “Wasn’t it a bit too much with the police and threats?” I asked hesitantly, recalling the things I said at the top of my head awhile ago. She shook her head no vigorously and said, “Well they were pushing their luck and there was no other way to put them in place. I just don’t know how to make the barricade you were talking about.” Before I could reply to her, the director/ head writer/ whoever he is approached us with Hani’s colleague from awhile ago walking a few steps behind him. “Hello, I am director. You are an employee here yes?” Realizing that the question was for me I quickly replied. “I’m sorry. I’m only a hired extra for the audience. I’m not from the staff hired for today.” I bowed to him in respect and apologized for stepping out of line. “No, no, no bow. You did well with the fans. I should thank you. No do not be sorry.” He said good – naturedly. “We shooting soon, how about you be in row one? For your help.” He said smiling at me. Hani gave me a thumbs  up  and urged me on to say yes. I nodded and the director gave me another smile and a, “We’ll talk some more later.” look before heading inside to do his job. The young man from awhile ago who apparently was the assistant director told me his name with the help of Hani. He insisted me to call him Joe with a laugh when I can’t pronounce his Korean name. Joe guided me to where the people for the first row will be seated and told me that I’ll be seating on my own since only thirty – nine out of fifty from the invited audience turned up and there will be only five people in the first row of the audience. He also told me that throughout the shooting he will be holding up a cue card for us so we’ll know how to react to what’s happening (I think he’s the tallest from all the crew members and extras combined, he’s that freakishly tall). Hani came in after us and after a quick touch up of make – up for me care of her own cosmetics bag and me instructing her on how to make the barricade outside to prevent the fan groups from doing anything drastic, Hani made her way outside to keep guard of the crowd control there (still with my clothes on).

Ten minutes have passed since then and I’ve already spent the entire time people watching, it was becoming too boring for me until the guests came inside at ten to two o’ clock that caused people to gasp and burst into loud chatter.  I was surveying them one by one but was once again interrupted as loud shrieks came from just outside the door (I’m only two seats away from the entrance) and a bluish gray cat jumped at me from nowhere with a shout from outside, “HEEBUMMIE!!!”