Chapter 3: The Irritable Princess and Charming Dragon

Korean Vacation [ON HIATUS]

 

My eyes flew wide open as this cat named, Heebummie (I think that’s how you spell the cat’s name, although it does sound familiar), settled itself in my lap. It’s face looking up at me with a lazy look while its tail flicked back and forth behind him. A bark was suddenly heard inside as another pet came bounding to me its beady eyes focused on the bluish gray cat in my lap. ‘ING HELL, REALLY!? Do I look like a bloody pet whisperer?’ I thought as I tried to lift off the cat from me and stood up away from the dog at my heels (thank God, I’m wearing Hani’s flats and not my heels, THAT is a to use when trying to run away from dogs). Another call of “Heebummie!” was to be heard among the chaos that these two pets had started creating as well as a shout of, “Gaho!

*Dialogue inside a parenthesis () are the thoughts of the lead character’s.

“I think this, I mean –,” I stopped mid – sentence to look at the gender of the cat. “ – I mean he, belongs to you. The cat I mean. Is the dog yours too?!” I called out to the two shouting voices. I stopped shuffling myself away from the dog (whose really insistent on getting to the cat) when I saw two men flanked by their respective posse stop in front of me eyeing the two pets. “Jesus Christ and Mary Joseph.” I whispered as it sunk in who these pets’ owners are. One of them with short cropped blonde hair and leopard wayfarers kneeled in front of me and stretched his arms to the dog saying, “Gaho!” His crooked smile making my knees buckle as he called out his Chinese Sharpei that obediently bounded to his open arms. He scooped out the panting dog and faced the rest of us. However I was shook from my dazed stare when Kim Heechul himself stood in front of me with his eyebrows raised. “So this is your cat then?” I said sheepishly as I tried to give him back the slumping cat in my hands. “He is. Thank you for catching him.” He said grabbing Heebummie (Is that really the poor cat’s name? No wonder it ran away) who suddenly sunk its claws in my sweat shirt. Heechul who was now getting impatient with his cat’s antics tugged on Heebummie’s torso harshly to get him off me but the cat won’t relent and sunk its claws more on Hani’s sweatshirt. “Wait! This isn’t mine so, just let me do it. You’ll ruin the shirt.” I said pulling away from Heechul and started taking out the blasted cat’s claws in my sweatshirt one by one in vain. I was near to tears already in frustration when a slender hand helped me and my face turned beet red as I looked up and saw G Dragon himself (he’s the owner of Gaho, finally I’m catching on with who these pets belong to) helping me out with Heechul’s clingy cat. I groaned suddenly as my phone started ringing in the table where I left it (along with my other things) with T.O.P. and GD’s song Baby Good Night ringing shrilly. To my utter horror (and secret delight) GD started humming to it as Heebummie’s final paw was taken out from my sweatshirt. He gave it back to Heechul with a cheerful, “How’ve you been Heechul-shi?” Heechul shrugged and replied, “I’m fine, just got back from another shooting. You?

Nothing much this is my only schedule for today. I’m heading back to the dance studio after this for practice with hyung.” Replied GD who elbowed T.O.P., jokingly, who was now carrying Gaho. T.O.P. rolled his eyes and glanced my way as I tried edging myself away from them my phone and bag in hand. “Thanks miss.” He said with a nod to the dog. At this everyone’s attention was shifted back to me, GD walking up to me his crooked smile back. “Thanks! Gaho’s a rascal, sorry for the trouble he’s caused.” He said “I’m Kwon Jiyong by the way and that’s T.O.P. and Heechul-shi.” I nodded with a sheepish smile when suddenly a loud cracked voice screeched out, “ATE [Older sister]!!” GD cocked his head to the side as I excused myself to answer my call (that I accidentally put on loud speaker as GD talked to me). I hurriedly turned off the loud speaker and started talking hurriedly to Sab (my cousin from the mother’s side) who was asking me teasingly who I was talking to. “Just someone, so stop pestering me. Bakit ka ba tumawag [Why did you call]?” I said while dumping my stuff on another table far away from the idols who started settling themselves on their respective set inside the coffee shop.

*Dialogue in Bold letters are dialogue spoken in Tagalog. Its translation is written inside the brackets ([translation]) next to it.

“Nothing really, just wondering what you’ve been up to.” She said in amusement at my harassed voice. “So who’s the guy you were talking to? Bawal magsinungaling, susumbung kita kay Tita [And don’t you dare lie or else I’ll tell auntie].” As I sat down I sighed at her and looked at G Dragon and T.O.P., the former being busy cooing at its dog. “Just someone, as I keep telling you. I’ll tell you when I get home ok?” I pleaded to her. A phone ringing and a lot of people talking in the background could be heard from her side while she kept silent for awhile. “Hmm, whatever. You’ll relent soon enough. Lagi ka naman ganyan, di mo din ako matitiis [You’re always like that, you won’t resist me for long].” She replied after awhile chuckling. “Anyway, I’m here to tell you that your schedule when you come back from that self – imposed exile is really packed. Your clients from New Jersey will be the first among your many appointments.” I mumbled a, “Yes.” to her before dropping our conversation with a promise that I’ll call her back this evening.

Sab Gonzales is my younger cousin from my mother’s side who has come to work with me on my company. She’s one of the most sought out events planner for the company. At the age of 21 she’s already made a name for herself even though she would tell me most of the time that events’ planning for her is just for fun. I trust her the most in the company (I made her head of the events planning department, we’re not really THAT big of a company) so most of my appointments are forwarded to her from my assistant to direct at me when I’m not there or handle for me in my absence.

After my phone call with Sab I noticed that some of the staff of SKOW (shorter name for the cafe), including their manager were out of the kitchens carrying trays of their most delicious homemade pastries and dishes as well as their best freshly brewed coffee, placed in their best china. These food were placed one by one in the make shift long table that the staff put up in the middle of the restaurant.

Antonio, the Filipino cashier of the café who I became quite close to over the days I’ve spent my morning in their coffee shop, slipped a tray filled with my usual order every morning consisting of a mug of freshly brewed coffee, and 2 choco chip cookies, save for 2 sandwiches instead of a muffin, in my table. He gave me a wink and sat down across from me hurriedly after a sideways glance at his meek boss. “What’s this?” I asked even though I’ve already started putting sugar and cream into my cup of coffee. “It’s Heaven, on the house and a thank you would be nice too.” He retorted saucily with an indignant look. I smiled and waved him off for him to continue. “You’re frustrating me you know that? You’re so lucky to have become an extra.” Toni (what I prefer calling Antonio) said with a dramatic sigh. “Anyway that’s not the point, you have some explaining to do girl. About those two gorgeous lollipops that’s been staring at you since you had that little cute intervention with their pets.” I continued pretend sipping my coffee to prevent myself from talking and took a peek at the said two lollipops. He narrowed his eyes at my silence and said, “Mhmm, this isn’t over. Your pretty will soon tell me what’s up. Anyway I’ve got to work (I scoffed at this) and be inside that hideous kitchen while they’re filming. I think that little man will start filming the shoot in a matter of minutes.” True enough Joe and the director were soon making their way to their respective seats as the guest idols were about done with their preparations and the staff of the coffee shop was already gone along with Toni. I recognized most of the idols present here and started listing them inside my head starting with Heechul (who was with Eunhyuk, Donghae, Kyuhyun and Leeteuk for Super Junior); GD and T.O.P. for Big Bang; Suzy and Min from Miss A; IU; Sooyoung and Sunny for SNSD. They were with their respective managers who from my view point (I was now sitting inside one of the shop’s booths near the shop’s counter) are being ushered in the sidelines. Joe suddenly called out someone and to my surprise Lee Seunggi and another man came in, the former attaching a lapel to his shirt’s front. After awhile everyone including the extras (who were given another brief through on what they’ll do) were finally settled and the director started giving out orders before Joe gave the cue to the camera men to start rolling. A flash of a bright light from the group’s left side and the unmistaken cry of, “Start!” Seunggi began the shoot in a jovial loud voice due to the lapel and as he hosted the show, the flow of things became much easier and I was becoming more and more absorbed with the scene in front of me. Right up until someone tapped me on the shoulder. I was suddenly caught by surprise as I looked up to see one of my clients, Mr. Park smiling at me.