Chapter Twenty-One

얼음꽃 (Frost Flower)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Here's wishing our lovely ice princess Happy Birthday~

To celebrate... CLICK HERE! :D

 

--

| Chapter Twenty-One |

Confused. Startled. Stumped.

 

That was exactly how Yoona felt as she tried to keep up with Jessica’s pace. The woman had been tearing down the streets for the past couple of minutes, refusing to slow down.

 

After they passed several more blocks, Yoona tried yet again to make her stop, “Will you please tell me what’s wrong?” She called from behind, “Something bothered you back there. What was it?”

 

“Nothing,” Jessica retorted agitatedly, still moving in large strides. There was definitely something amiss. Nothing obviously meant something in this case. Sprinting with all her might, Yoona eventually caught up with her, tugging at her arm to stop her from taking another step.

 

She panted, “You… me… let’s sit down… have a talk. Okay? That curb looks good.”

 

Breathing heavily herself, Jessica allowed the girl to lead her to the side before sitting down beside her.

 

As she swiped at her forehead with the back of her hand, Yoona exhaled, “I really need to hit the gym more often… I burn out pretty quickly these days. Are you thirsty? Should I get you something to drink?”

 

The woman shook her head meekly, gaze fixated on the ground. Not wanting to waste any more time, Yoona decided to get right down to it, “Alright… how should I begin? Let’s see now… what you did back there was pretty impressive. You wanna tell me when you got your black belt in Taekwondo?”

 

“I don’t have a black belt in Taekwondo.”

 

“Being all modest now, are we?” The girl snickered, “Tell me then, Master Jung, where did you learn to punch like that?”

 

Despite her trying to assuage the situation, Jessica did not seem too at ease about it. Impassive eyes still focused on the same spot, the woman managed in a small voice, “It just bothered me a lot. That… whatever he was doing to you.”

 

“Is that all?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Scoffing, Yoona shook her head, “I’m not buying it. I saw the way you hit him. It was pretty intense… he was bleeding. He barely did anything to me. Why were you so worked up?”

 

Throwing the girl a biting look, Jessica almost shouted, “Would you have wanted something to happen?”

 

“Hey, chill out--”

 

“Don’t tell me to chill out, Im Yoona. I really can’t believe you sometimes. You treat everything so lightly and act as though nothing bad can ever happen to you.”

 

“Why’re you getting angry at me?” The girl raised her brows in surprise.

 

“Because you’re blind to so many things! And you’re always asking unnecessary questions, it’s annoying!”

 

Here Jessica halted, realizing that she might have been a little crude with her words. She knew she was not supposed to be unleashing this side of her on the girl but she could not help it.

 

“I’m sorry… for being ignorant and nosey,” Yoona looked down at her hands, not knowing what else to say. Seconds later, she continued softly, “I guess I just wanted to know what made you so furious… it scared me a little. But I won’t probe any further since you don’t want me to…”

 

Swallowing dryly, the woman sighed, opening as though she had something to say. Yoona peered at her from the corner of her eye, wondering if she was even going to get an explanation at all.

 

“My dad,” Jessica mumbled.

 

“What?”

 

“That man… reminded me of my dad,” She continued, an unusual heaviness plaguing her tone.

 

Sensing her bitterness, Yoona restrained the urge to question further. They had never discussed their families before and although she had a million doubts she wanted to get rid of, she figured she would wait if the woman was not ready.

 

Her ears perked up when Jessica spoke again, “He was never really around much. It was mostly just me, mom, and Soojung.” Her voice quivered from time to time, conveying some sort of poignancy Yoona had never detected before. The two statements were more than suffice to foreshadow what was to come.

 

Yoona kept her eyes locked on the woman and nodded ever so lightly, motivating her to go on.

 

“When I was eleven, Soojung came down with a really bad case of gastritis and had to be hospitalized. We were all stressed out because she didn’t seem to be getting any better even after days of treatment…”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter