Up Close....

Rapunzel, Hizaki...

Hizaki sighed as he continued to paint. He was trying to be a good daughter it had been weeks since he contacted his father. And his father hadn’t contacted him. “What if I was dead?” Hizaki complained aloud.

 

“What was that mistress?” Teru asked looking up from making the bed.

 

“Nothing…” Hizaki sighed. It was a silly thing anyway his father had cameras around the tower. He would know if his daughter was dead. At least… Hizaki hoped he would, unless he really didn’t care. Hizaki shook his head, he was being ridiculous. He looked at his painting and felt the tear escape his eye. He hadn’t even realized what he had painted. He ran his hand over the face of his mother wishing he could have gone with her… that she had cared enough about him to stay… He took the brush and ran it across the canvas over his mother’s face.

 

“Mistress! Are you ok?” Teru asked in concern.

 

“I’m fine… I just… I want air. I can’t… I’m sorry Teru. I don’t know what’s wrong with me lately. Father’s always been distant why does it hurt so much now?” Hizaki wondered to his friend.

 

“I don’t know Mistress. Is there anything I can do?”

 

Hizaki shook his head and took a seat beside the window looking out until he saw something outside in the trees. “Do you mind giving me some alone time?”

 

“Of course not, Mistress, whatever you need.” Teru responded smiling as the cat jumped on his Mistresses lap. He turned to leave the room.

 

Hizaki absentmindedly petted the cat in his lap as the familiar man came into the clearing, Hizaki smiled. The one bright thing in his life were the visits he received from the mystery man. He was the only one that could take Hizaki’s mind off of his absent parents.

 

“You’re  back!”

 

“I’m sorry it’s been a while. I had work to do, but I came as soon as I could.” The beautiful man said from the ground below him.

 

“It’s ok. I have nothing to do but wait. I painted some…”

 

“I wish I could see them.” Zin sighed, he had been trying to visit the beauty once a week since they had met.

 

Hizaki looked around the room for something that may be long enough to pull the man up… but he didn’t have any ropes or ladders… if he did he would be out of the tower every night… he almost gave up when some of his hair across the room caught his eye. He looked at the end of his hair and down at his new friend down below, judging the distance and whether or not his hair was long enough…. “I think I have an idea…” He yelled down and moved his hair over the windowsill.

 

Zin looked up confused as something dropped in front of him from the window. It didn’t look like rope it was beautiful, silky and braided… “What?”

 

“Just climb…” He heard before taking hold of the… hair? Zin climbed as carefully as possible until he reached the top and made his way in to the room surprised by the shear size… His eyes made their way to the maiden and his breath caught in his throat. “You’re even more beautiful up close.”

 

Hizaki blushed and looked away pulling his hair up into the room. “Thanks…” he murmured helping the man into the room. “You’re quite… handsome.” Hizaki muttered, “I knew you would be…”

 

Zin smiled at the sound. He had been thinking about hearing that sound so close… about seeing her face… Zin saw the canvas and moved to look at it before Hizaki could stop him. He saw pale skin and dark hair… dark clothes… but the face had been marked. “This is fresh… what happened? Who is this?”

 

“I… My mother… it was my mother….” Hizaki responded unsure why he told his new friend.

 

“Why did you black out her face. I’m sure she would love to see it. Where is she?” Zin asked curiously.

 

Hizaki looked down before looking at the stranger. “She;s gone she left when I was a child. I haven’t seen her in… a long time.”

 

Zin could hear the sadness in her voice. “That’s terrible to grow up without a mother…”

 

“I… yeah. I’ve been in this tower for as long as I can remember.”

 

“What about your father?”

 

“He’s… away. Look I’m… I don’t know you… I can’t… no matter how you may make me feel…”

 

“You don’t have to tell me… how do I make you feel.” Zin added smiling.

 

“Confused mostly, I don’t really know. I’ve only ever known my parents, Teru and Masashi… and Teru and Masashi are so in love with each other. I’ve never felt that… but you… it’s silly we’ve barely spoken. “

 

“I know what you mean.”

 

“You do?”

 

“I do.” Zin responded softly. “So what else have you painted?”

 

Hizaki smiled and stood smoothing the beautiful dress she was wearing then headed around the most recent painting to a few canvases.

 

“Over here…” Hizaki pointed.

 

Zin hurried over to the other paintings and couldn’t help the feeling of warmth at the sight on the canvas. One was of him in strange clothing that matched the dress Hizaki was wearing, “I…”

 

“I took some liberties, I made you a prince.”

 

“I’m flattered…” Zin said feeling the red grow in his cheeks.

 

“I have nothing but my imagination… and books as well as movies to fill it…” Hizaki told him.

 

“It’s very good. You’re so talented…I’m jealous.” Zin replied.

 

Hizaki looked down shyly. “Thank you. My mother taught me how to paint…” Hizaki trailed off.

 

“I’m sorry…”

 

“It’s fine. I should be over this by now… but I still…”

 

“It’s always hard when you lose someone.”

 

“I’ve read a lot about that… I mean after my mother…”

 

~~~*~~~
 

“Have you seen Rui yet?” Inoran asked the pink haired man.

 

“No he hasn’t been there that long. Yoshiki wants me to take you while he continues to train Yuuki here..” hide replied.

 

“Of course. Just in case he comes back?”

 

“It would be better if there were two of us. With Yuuki still training and the uncertaintiy of what Kozi is actually doing even with Wu Chun and Jiro checking out one of his buildings… And Tohya’s undercover work…”

 

  “So is that why you came to find me?” Inoran asked hide. Inoran had been… indisposed when the pink haired man found him.

 

“Yes.  We’ll be heading to the tower tomorrow and I don’t know how long we will be staying so make the most of your time with J.” hide told him before he left the other man.

 

Hide headed back to the office to see what else Yoshiki needed to do before they needed to head back to the tower.

 

“Yes, hide, I will…” he heard as he opened the door only to stop in his tracks at the sight of Yuuki sitting at his father’s desk moving his arms.

 

“You’ll what boss?” He asked causing the young boy to stop what he was doing.

“Ahh…!”  Yuuki cried loudly, “I… don’t… don’t tell dad?”

 

Hide laughed, “He has camera’s in his office going to know.” Hide reminded the boy.

 

“I…” Yuuki looked down. “He’s coming back soon. He won’t… He went to check on something for Rainie.” Yuuki told his father’s second in command.

 

“Is he going to train you today?”

 

“He said he’d start tomorrow. I don’t want to disappoint him. So I was…”

 

“You’ll be fine. You were born for this just like your father and…”

 

“You?”

 

“Ym… yeah me, Inoran and Hitsugi… You will be just fine.” Hide assured the youngster.

 

“Thanks, hide.” Yuuki replied before standing up and moving back to his armchair picking up his book, something by Takari Soshi…

 

“hide, what do you need?” Yoshiki asked coming in from the door to his room.

 

“I wanted to see if there was anything more you needed me to do to prepare before I left tomorrow.”

 

“Not really. You can do as you please.” Yoshiki told him.

 

“hide, read to me?” Yuuki cried causing the older man to chuckle.

 

“Aren’t you a little to old for that?”

 

“Never! And I like how you read with voices and all!””

 

“Of course Yuuki. Anything for my favorite nephew.”

 

~~~*~~~

 

Takanori finished cleaning up the last bits from the kitchen. Masashi had told him things were different. Hizaki had been uncharacteristically happy. Takanori didn’t know the last time he’d heard about Hizaki smiling… had been such a long time ago.

 

“They’re coming tomorrow.” Takanori jumped at the sound taking a deep breath when he turned around to see Rui in all his glory.

 

“I… ah… You’re boss?”

 

Rui was quick to put on a coat. “Sorry, hide and I don’t know who else, but I have to get out of the tower tomorrow.”

 

“For how long?” Takanori asked.

 

“I can’t say… an hour? I don’t have enough to report. I haven’t really been here that long.”

 

“I have plans I can give you of the tower and where some of the new security is. I… I can help you get out for a little while. I’ll talk to Masashi about distracting the Mistress long enough for you to get out and speak to whoever is coming.”

 

“You didn’t…”

 

“Tell him what you are? No, of course I didn’t. He and Teru are, were… sheltered… I don’t think telling him about the things that are… ubelievable…”

 

“Even if he’d been outside… my kind are few. And we’re protected. Yoshiki finds us when he hears about us and then he gives us a home. The only one who got away was… well… Yoshiki’s never forgiven himself.”

 

“You should get back to the Mistress. I’ll have a plan for you tomorrow.” Takanori told the young cat who nodded and left the kitchen.

 

With the help of the young cat and… a man that he hadn’t even met. “Rui, wait.”

 

Rui stopped at the door and turned to face the other man. “Yes?”

 

“I want to meet them… if we’re going to work together I want to meet the people who are helping me rescue the mistress. How do I know they really wish to help him.”

 

“They… of course, if your helping me get out I see no reason why you can’t meet them.” He replied before turning to leave.

 

Takanori watched him leave conflicted. He wanted to finally fulfill his promise to Mana. But he couldn’t make his move until it was what Hizaki wanted. He didn’t want the young Mistress to be made at him any more than the others. He had to be more careful this time. He couldn’t afford to mess up again. And Rui was just making it easier to get them away from Kozi and providing an actual place to hide.

 

Their chances were higher this time, but they only had one chance so they would all have to be extra careful. He would not move this time until he had an escape plan for every one. No more mistakes.

 

~~~*~~~

 

Hizaki leaned against Teru as the older man ran his hands through his hair. “Teru… how did you know you were in love with Masashi?”

 

“Wha… How? It’s difficult to say, Mistress. I’ve always been around Masashi. Then one day… it was like… It’s so hard to explain. It was like the other half of me had arrived… That sounds so stupid…” Teru shook his head.

 

“It doesn’t sound stupid. It sounds… wonderful. Do you think I’ll have that one day?” Hizaki asked.

 

“Of course you will, Mistress. You will be with someone who will love you and cherish you. Your father wouldn’t let anyone hurt you.”

 

“He has a strange way of showing it… but… I’ve only met you two… and Aoi over a screen… You don’t think he’ll put me with Aoi do you?” Hizaki asked scrunching his face in distaste.

 

Teru chuckled, “You don’t sound too happy about that idea.”

 

“He’s attractive and all… but…”

 

“Don’t worry, Mistress. I don’t think he would let a servant touch his precious daughter.”

 

“I… wish he would lelt me find my own match… I mean… What if I don’t want… don’t feel anything for whoever father has in mind… if he already has someone in mind.” Hizaki picked his words carefully as he spoke to his friend, is time with Zin had been limited but he knew he felt different around the blond than he did with Teru or Masashi.

 

“I wish he would, too, sweetheart. The Master… He cares about you… but…”

 

“But he won’t let me out of this tower… of this room… he won’t trust me to go out and interact with other people. I… do you think he would have… let me out if… moth… Mana was here?”

 

“Mistres… I couldn’t say. Maybe… but… your father is… You’ll experience love darling don’t think about what could have been. No matter what happens, you have Masashi, Takanori, and I.”

 

“I know, Teru. We’ll… You need to tell Masashi how you feel. There is no reason you shouldn’t.”

 

“But… what if… I mean… you don’t know… I…”

 

“It’s ok, Teru. I’m not going to stop suggesting it. You love each other and I want you  to be happy. Even Takanori who I haven’t been able to meet… I should tell father I want to meet him. But… not soon… I’m not supposed to contact him. I still hope he’ll miss me…”

 

“I’m sure he does. He treasures you dearest… even if he doesn’t show it.”

 

Hizaki nodded not sure he believed the older man. There was so much against those words… If he really treasured him… would he be in this tower… He should stop wondering about these things… and he was trying… but it was hard.

 

~~~*~~~

 

“I talked to her up close… I was in her room. She’s a talented painter!”

 

Hyde chuckled from his place beside the blonde. “That’s wonderful for you.” He told his friend as Tetsuya put food on the table in front of them.

 

“How did you get up there? We couldn’t see any way up.” Tetsuya asked.

 

“I… her hair. It’s incredibly long it was almost the length of the tower… it was amazing and so soft…”

 

“Really? That tower is several stories high… How… how… That must have never gotten a hair cut. Is she always brushing her hair?” Hyde wondered.

 

“She has time to paint so she can’t always be brushing her hair.” Zin said dreamily. :She made me a prince in her paintings…”

 

“Did you see anyone else?” Tetsuya asked curiously as he joined them at the table.

 

“No… no. The door was locked and no one came in… She said… Well … There’s obviously more to this girl and I can’t want to find out what it is… I’ve never met anyone who… I wanted to know everything about.

 

“No hang on, Romeo just remember to be careful. I’m all for love at first sight, but…” Tetsuya chimed in. “Just be careful there are a number of things…”

 

“Tetsu, hush! Zin don’t let him dissuade you. If I had listened to logic this perfect thing here may have never happened. I may still be single taking care of Soshi all on my own.”

 

“Meaning you were the one that had to be careful, Hyde…” Tetsuya asked quizzically.

 

“Tetsu! Seriously!”

 

“And what about taking care of Soshi? From what I can see…”

 

“Zin! The point is for love some of us have to be impulsive!”

 

“Love… but…”

 

“Early days, I know but if you want to get to know her and you can’t stop thinking about her… that’s a start. I mean it’s more than that crush you had on…”

“No one!”

 

“What his crush on Soshi?” Tetsuya asked.

 

“What Crush on Soshi?”

 

“Tetsu!”

 

“It was a long time ago, babe. Don’t worry your little babies virtue is safe…” Tetsu assured his love.

 

“We could have been brothers!” Hyde complained.

 

Zin shook his head and glared at his best friend’s lover. “Just because… Just because I may have had feelings for your brother doesn’t mean he would have wanted me. And like Tetsua said… it was a long time ago.”

 

“You’re right… Now we have to focus on getting you your maiden from the tower…”

 

“But… How would we do that? She never leaves that room. She told me that…”

 

“Just make sure that you have time to go see her. I will always make sure you have time for your maiden. Even during work if you want…”

 

“Really? Why would I go during work?”

 

“Why not… I’m just saying the boss would do anything for me.”

 

“I think you are exaggerating, but I don’t need to go during work.”

 

“Fine… but he does.”

 

“Whatever you say.” Zin chuckled.

 

“So when are we going back?” Hyde asked.

 

“I… We?”

 

“It’s dangerous up there. I don’t want you going out there by yourself. What if something happens to you?”

 

“Oh… well… I guess… but I don’t know when I can make it up there.”

 

“ Every day!”

 

“Hyde, babe…”

“Ok, fine it’s your choice. I will be ready for you to come get me when you want to go again…”

 

“We’ll see Hyde. You are an amazing friend.”

 

“I know.” Hyde responded making the other two laugh.