It's been how long?

Rapunzel, Hizaki...

     Hizaki sighed as he continued to look out the window running a brush through what he could of his hair. He’d never been allowed outside of the tower, grounds and ever since Mana left he wasn’t able to set foot outside of his room. His father believed that by just putting technology and pretty things in his room it would be enough for him. At least he still had Teru and Masashi. His father had tried to keep them away from him as well, but Hizaki had begged him to let him keep the helpers. He had pointed out that he wouldn’t be able to manage his hair without Teru. His hair actually hindered him in a lot of ways.

     Hizaki hated how long his hair was. It felt like it took them weeks just to brush it. That was probably why it was usually braided. He asked his father why he wasn’t allowed to cut it but he had never gotten a straight answer.

     “Is everything alright mistress?”

     “I told you to call me Hizaki. I’m not a girl and it’s only you and me here.”

     “One never knows when the master is watching.”

     “If he says anything then you can just send him to me,” Hizaki told him truthfully. “Since Mana left he’s…. at least tried to make me happy…. if you forget that I’m confined to this room.”

     “He didn’t want to leave you. You know,” Teru said moving to hug his mistress.

     “I know. I’m not mad at him for leaving. He was miserable and got out when he needed to.”

     Teru nodded as he lifted some of Hizaki’s hair to brush some that Hizaki could not reach.

     “Have you been to the city Teru? Do you think he made it that far?”

     “I’m sure he made it out to the city. I’ve never really been to the city. The master found me in a village a ways from here. This tower is all I’ve known since then.”

     “So you don’t get to leave the tower either? Don’t you want to find live?”

     Teru shook his head and smiled. “All I need is my mistress. I don’t need anything else.”

     Hizaki shook his head. “That is ridiculous. Father should let you take vacations sometimes.”

     “Don’t speak nonsense, Hizaki. I have everything I want right here, a roof a good friend and plenty to do.”

     “Mistress, I have your lunch. I’ll set it on your table,” Masashi told Hizaki as he entered the room. He made his way carefully to the dining area setting the dinner down carefully he bowed and moved to exit the room once more.

     “Wait, Masashi! Stay and speak with us. We were just talking about the city and how we wish we could go.”

     “Is that what we were talking about?” Teru asked gathering what he could of the other man’s hair and helped him to the dining area.

     “Have you been to the city?”

     “I’ve had to see your father a few times and I have to go to the city for cleaning supplies. You aren’t missing much. I much prefer the quiet of the tower.” Masashi replied standing with his arms folded.

     “I suppose you’re right. I see pictures and movies with cities. They look so crowded and dirty… but I would love to be able to see them. I don’t even know where father lives,” Hizaki sighed as he started eating.

     “He…. wants to protect you,” Masashi said carefully. He didn’t hate the master, but he didn’t like that Hizaki was kept in that room, and he didn’t like what had been done to Mana, but he didn’t think the master was evil just a little understood…. He definitely had issues with people or how one should deal with people. Masashi never said that to him though. He needed the money and he needed to know that Teru and Hizaki remain unharmed. Hizaki was like his…. sister and Teru was…. so much more.

     “I know Father loves me in his own way. We should talk about something else. I’m not getting out of this room…. Would you tell Takanori that lunch today is amazing?”

      “I’ll be sure to relay that message for you. Am I dismissed your highness?” Masashi asked hiding his smile.

     “You’re free to leave whenever you’d like! I’m sorry if I’m forcing you to stay!” Hizaki pouted at the accusation.

      “I was just kidding Hizaki. I will be back to get your food. I have to do some things in the kitchen.”

     “Of course take your time,” Hizaki told him as he looked back at Teru.

     “Don’t take too long….” Teru said softly hoping the other heard.

     “That’s why you don’t want to leave. You already found love so you don’t need to look anywhere else,” Hizaki exclaimed as he watched Teru’s expression sadden as Masashi leaves the room.

     “Wh…. what are you talking about?”

     “You like Masashi don’t you?”

     “I…. yeah I do…. but don’t tell him! I need to be here for you. I can’t let anything get in the way of my work! I don’t know what…. never mind. I’m content to serve you and watch him from afar or up close…. you know what I mean.”

Hizaki chuckled at the flustered way Teru was talking. “You are so adorable! I bet he feels the same way about you. How could you not? You’re cute, compassionate, caring…”

“Stop! Mistress please. After… after Mana left and we lost… I promise this is enough for me. The master was very specific about how to take care of you. I can’t risk him finding out and taking me or Masashi away from you. I couldn’t… I couldn’t live with myself if that happened because of me.”

“Don’t be ridiculous! Father wouldn’t…”

“Hizaki, when Mana escaped he already tried to keep us away from you.” Teru interrupted.

“I won’t tell him anything, don’t worry. Maybe… something will happen. I’m so tired of waking up in his tower.”

“Oh! Baby!” Teru cried sitting beside Hizaki and hugging him close. “I know this is hard on you. It’s  been years since Mana left. Hopefully the master will let up on you a bit and you can go outside.” Teru told him pulling his Mistress closer.

“What did you say? Years? It feels like he left yesterday… It’s hard to keep track even with limited access to the internet.” Hizaki told him sadly. He was sure that the other was telling the truth, but everything was so slow. He had all that technology, but he was certain his father messed with the dates because they weren’t the same years all the time. He wasn’t sure what his father had to gain from that. Everything was slower now that Mana was gone…

“If it’s been year there’s no saying what father will do. I’ll just have to wait and see. He should know by now that I wouldn’t run away. Even if I wanted to find Mana I wouldn’t know where to look. I wouldn’t want to anger father… Whatever he did before and whatever he’s doing now… He’s still my father. What would I do without him?”

Teru looked at Hizaki forcing a smile and nodding. He felt bad that the other man would never know his real family… Kozi wasn’t bad to Hizaki… not the way he had been to Mana. He had even stayed with them for a while until Hizaki’s constant questioning had become to much for him. “You can ask him about it the nxt time he comes to visit you.” Teru suggested.

Hizaki nodded and smiled at his “lady”-in waiting finishing his meal and humming. “I wonder if he’ll come soon…” He mused standing and pulling up his skirts before taking his seat next to the window and gazing at the city once more.