Forever ficlet: Confession Time

Never or Forever?

There’s something earth-shatteringly terrifying about confessing your relationship to your friends. Especially when said friends were Ari’s friends. Most terrifying friends of all friends there ever was and ever will be.


 

"We have to tell them some time," Ari murmured, trying very hard to get the words out. Even after almost a week of being able to talk to Hansol AS HER BOYFRIEND, and not just her friend's brother who she had a massive crush on, it was all very hard to wrap her head around. That HANSOL, of all the people in the world, would choose HER, Kwon Ari. 
 
Back to the situation at hand. 
 
"Them? Who's them?" Hansol sighed, burrowing her further into his chest. He had her locked in his arms, yet surprisingly it wasn't uncomfortable. In fact, it was (probably) the nuclear bomb of all fuzzy hugs any human being had ever received. 
 
"My friends, silly." With great difficulty, Ari unlatched herself from him and tried to focus on the discussion. (Very hard task. Hansol had now latched his nose onto her neck, nuzzling it and breathing her in. This boy knew no boundaries, for the love of.)
 
"HanSOL." Forcefully pushing him away and studiously ignoring the coldness that rushed down her spine from lack of physical contact, Ari clasped their hands together instead. Effectively keeping contact AND keeping his hands from wandering along with his attention. "We NEED to tell them about this. Do you know how angry Pilsuk was when she found out I was keeping my crush on you a secret? Very, VERY angry. I don't need that kind of anger directed at me again. 
 
"Plus, this isn't the kind of thing best friends keep from each other. We don't lie or keep secrets or talk behind our backs. It's a girl thing as much as it's a best friend thing. It just isn't done."
 
Hansol heaved a sigh part-aggravation part-fond. "You and your girl friend things."
 
Ari pressed together her lips to suppress a grin. "Me and the derps are a package deal. Anything concerning me and you should be brought to the notice of them. They're basically the reason all of this-"she wave a hand between them-"us, was possible. Also, did I not already mention Pilsuk and her anger?"
 
"Fine, fine." Hansol's lips suddenly stretched into a mischievous grin. "But dibs not telling them!"
 
With that, he ripped himself away from her, like running away would prevent her from disagreeing. 
 
"I don't know what I see in you," Ari lied, eyes smiling with the warmth in her heart. 
 
-
 
"Stop fidgeting," Ari couldn't help but snapping, watching Hansol dart to and fro with a nervous frown. 
 
"Can't help it," he muttered, still pacing. 
 
She ignored him. "And there's no reason to be nervous. They're the ones that have been rooting for the two of us for, like, ever. Being nervous is just stupid."
 
That's what she'll keep telling herself until she believes it. 
 
"I know but..." Trailing off, Hansol sighed. "It's not really all of them I'm nervous about. I mean, of course I'm a little bit nervous because they're your friends, but it's really just JiyeonandPilsukI'mworriedabout." He slurred the ending until it sounded like one word. 
 
Ari raised an eyebrow. 
 
Sighing again, he dropped beside her on the couch. "You know how Pilsuk gets. Heck, I'm barely even friends with her and I know what Pilsuk's like. She'll probably give me a shovel talk with an actual shovel involved. 
 
"And Jiyeon looks like she could kill you with her eyes. If looks could kill..." Hansol took a deep breath. "So. I'm not nervous actually. I'm honest-to-goodness terrified."
 
Ari only grinned at her (kyaaaa~) boyfriend's obvious discomfort. "It's okay, Hansie. I'll make sure they don't kill you TOO much."
 
"Thanks, jagiya," Hansol drawled, dry like the Sahara. 
 
Ari froze, breath hitching, but didn't have the time to react at the use of the word "jagiya" because her friends  had decided to barge into Hansol's living room like they owned it. (And, technically, Sophia kinda did.)
 
"What was important that I needed to be pulled out of my library shift?" Pilsuk demanded on sight, arms crossing and hip cocking in her natural state of "I'm too busy to be gracing you with my awesome presence but I will anyway". 
 
"Hello to you too," Hansol glared because he was so obviously stalling. 
 
"Hi," Pilsuk bit out with a sour expression. "Now. What was important that I needed to be pulled out of my library shift?" 
 
No one else could see Hansol's trembling hand but Ari. She leaned in to whisper, "Don't worry, she's like this on a good day."
 
"Not helping," Hansol muttered through his teeth. 
 
When she turned back to her friends, Pilsuk was staring at them with an arched eyebrow. 
 
Jiyeon, looking bored (though that WAS her default facial expression), dropped onto the couch across the one Hansol and Ari were on, followed by chatting Mei and Sophia. 
 
"Any day now," Pilsuk was saying, plopping into the single couch and curling into a ball until only her eyes and nose were visible. (It was almost scary how tiny she was, like, her leg was probably the length of his arm and Hansol was stalling AGAIN, gosh he just needed to get over with this, like ripping off a Band-Aid, like a Band-Aid, like a-)
 
"Ari and I are together," he blurted out with wide eyes and thinking, oh my gosh Hansol you moron what the heck. 
 
Silence met his declaration. 
 
Hansol was literally sweating buckets, blinking it from his eyes. Well that threw 'easing them into it' out the window. 
 
Pilsuk sighed, pushing himself up. "Will that be all, Mr. and Mrs. Choi? Because I have a library shift to get to and you KNOW Miss Bu is a beast when she's angry."
 
Hansol was too confused to even blush at the "Mr. and Mrs. Choi" comment. "What? That's it? THAT'S your reaction?" It was probably irrational-okay, yeah, it was irrational, but their reactions were pretty anticlimactic after the explosion he had been expecting. All his worrying, for nothing?
 
Sophia sighed. "I fear for your deduction skills, brother. We'd figured out ages before."
 
"Just after you both had gotten sick," Jiyeon continued. "We found it suspicious that you both got sick, AT THE SAME TIME, and unless you were out for a lovely stroll in the rain at the opposite sides of town, you were totally together."
 
"And, Ari." Mei sent her a level look. "You know how much you at keeping secrets. You were looking at Hansol extra happy, and there was something missing from each look. We soon realized that there was bo more sad longing in them. Instead, there was only vomit-inducing love in them."
 
Ari tried to not blush at that, she really did. (She did anyway.)
 
Pilsuk sent the dumbstruck couple a sly smile. "Exactly, my dear, oblivious friends. We were only waiting for you to spill. We'd also figured it wouldn't really take long, since Ari would be over the rainbow from being with you, Hansol."
 
"Excuse me," Ari squawked, though it was without a doubt the truth. 
 
Pilsuk shrugged and ignored her. "Bye bye, peasants. Your queen will depart." She then proceeded to breeze through the door, lips into an ear-to-ear grin Hansol found more terrifying than her glare. 
 
Pausing at the doorway, Pilsuk looked over her shoulder. "Oh. Also, I think a talk between us, women to man, is entitled. We'll be expecting you sans Ari at my house on Saturday, Hansol. Be there." The last sentence sounded like a threat despite its innocuous appearance. 
 
Upon piling out of the house, Sophia had sent him a wink. "Finally, oppa. We were wondering when we were going to have to resort to locking you in a room together for 24 hours until you got your heads out of your butts and saw sense. Good job."
 
When they all left, Hansol released a breath he hadn't realized he was holding. "Well that wasn't terrifying."
 
Ari patted his hand. "I told you, didn't I?"
 
He glared at her reassuring smile. "Sarcasm, jagi. That was one of the most terrifying moments of my existence."
 
Ari laughed. 
 
He sighed, leaning his head into her neck and inhaling deep. "At least I'm alive right?"
 
Ari bit her lip to stifle a laugh. Hansol needed her, she could at least be kind to him. So she his hair and said, "Right."
 
"But there's still Saturday, jagiya."
 
But she simply couldn't pass that up. 
 
-
 
You know you love meeeee~ ~_^