Chapter 7: How Many Wonders Can One Baekhyun Hold?

Twisted Fates

The moon had just risen above the trees when the cold breeze made Baekhyun shiver slightly even though he was in layers of clothing and had gloves on.

"Are you cold?" Kris asked.

The two of them had just come from watching a movie. They decided to stay for a while at the park on the way back to the campus. The taller man, sitting beside Baekhyun, turned slightly to take the other's hands in his and rubbed them together.

Baekhyun chuckled. "What are you doing?"

"Just looking for an excuse to touch you," Kris admitted with a stupid grin on his face. "And trying to gather my nerves."

"What for?" Baekhyun's interest was piqued.

"Well... um..." Kris took a deep breath. "Baekhyun, I-I'm really grateful that you haven't turned me down whenever I ask that we hang out somewhere."

"That's not a problem," Baekhyun smiled. "I enjoy spending time with you."

"And I-I enjoy spending time with you too," the other one said almost too quickly. 

Kris paused and cleared his throat, as he placed their still entwined hands between them on the bench. Baekhyun decided to just keep his silence, noticing how the other man was really nervous all of a sudden. This was a side of Kris he had never seen before, and Baekhyun honestly didn't know how to react.

"Baekhyun," Kris spoke again. "I-I hope... I mean... Getting to know you these past few weeks has been the best thing that has happened to me so far. I-I hope I'm not too forward when I say I really like you."

"I like you too, Kris," Baekhyun tried not to sound too hopeful. That was what the instructional video on mortal romance said so. Recently, Baekhyun had been more interested on mortal romantic relationships and rummaged through the various instructional videos about anything and everything to learn about it. He was waiting for Luhan to come by, but Baekhyun thought that the pink-haired fairy might have been scared away from being in the immediate vicinity of his current roommate, Sehun.

"You do?" The question ended in a squeak. Kris mentally slapped himself, as he took a swallow. "I-I mean, Baekhyun, I like you as more than a friend."

"Oh? Oh! That..." Baekhyun blushed.

"I'm sorry. I've been too forward." Kris suddenly let go of the other one's hands and was about to get up when Baekhyun stopped him.

This time, it was the fairy who took the other man's hands in his own. "Kris, I like you as more than a friend too."

"Really? Wow!" Kris was stunned. It has been a long time since he had felt this way again. "Umm... Baek, will... will you be my boyfriend?"

Baekhyun was still blushing so hard. The ability of speech left him and he could only nod at the other man with a sweet, shy smile on his face.

Before he could stop himself, Kris suddenly stood up, raised his hands to the sky and let out a loud whoop. He became embarrassed at the unusual show of emotion and gave Baekhyun a grin as the fairy chuckled.

"Is it okay?" Kris asked, as he sat back down and slid closer to his new boyfriend.

"What is it?" Baekhyun could only manage a whisper.

"Can I kiss you?" Kris looked at him hopefully.

Once again, Baekhyun was speechless but he was able to give a nod. He watched as the other man's face came closer. Baekhyun closed his eyes in anticipation.

 

Sehun's revulsion could not be drawn on his face as he looked down at his roommate, the fairy Baekhyun who was stuck in the mortal world because he stupidly lost his cloud puff. The said being was moving about in his sleep and was talking nonsense. The half-mortal looked at the alarm clock on the side table and saw that it was almost time for Baekhyun to get up anyway. Sehun sneakily took one of the pillows at the foot of Baekhyun's bed and raised it high up. The fairy was obviously having a weird dream and Sehun retched when Baekhyun suddenly puckered his lips.

With a quick , Sehun smacked the pillow down on Baekhyun's face. "Hey! It's time to wake up, lazybones! You have a class in an hour!"

"Wha-?" Baekhyun suddenly sat up, and scrambled to get rid of the pillow on his face which was somehow stinging in pain. "Where am I?"

"The heck?" Sehun facepalmed. "Earth to Baek! Have you finally lost what little was left of your sanity?"

"Ugh! Sehun?" The fairy glared at the half-mortal towering beside his bed. "I don't remember asking you to wake me up."

The other one scoffed. "Well, I was annoyed because you were talking loudly in your sleep."

Baekhyun was horrified when he recalled what he was dreaming. "Uh... was I that loud? You didn't really hear anything, right?"

"I was actually thinking you were having a nightmare," Sehun answered. "But I had to walk in on you having a dream. How disgusting!"

"I was not having a dream!" Baekhyun gasped, as he thought to himself, 'Not really... I think?' 

"Oh, yeah?" Sehun raised an eyebrow. "You were making kissy faces! Yuck!"

"Now, you're just making that up," Baekhyun said dismissively as he got up from the bed.

"Whatever!" Sehun grumbled as he left the other one to get ready for the day. "I have a erted fairy for a roommate! What karmic forces have I disturbed?"

Baekhyun ignored the half-mortal as he took out his towel and clothes. He looked down at his cellphone, a piece of mortal technology that Sehun ordered along with the tablet. Baekhyun never really took notice of it until Kris asked for his number when they were doing their partner assignment for class almost a month ago. He noticed there was a text message and Baekhyun quickly opened it.

The message read, 'Good morning, my sweet man~! Will pick you up outside your dorm 15 mins before class, k? :-*'

Baekhyun gasped. It really did happen last night. Kris had confessed to him and they were now boyfriends. Boyfriends. Baekhyun liked the sound of it. He couldn't help but bite his knuckles in excitement.

 

A bit more than quarter of an hour later and the fairy made his way to the kitchen and got cereal for breakfast. Baekhyun was still amazed at Sehun's dorm room, which was very unlike any other dorm room on campus. It could change to whatever he or Sehun required just as they were thinking of it. It was one of the privileges that Sehun had as a son of one of the more powerful kings of the fairy folk, Lord Cupid. The said son was also in the kitchen eating a full breakfast that he made himself. He would have cooked for Baekhyun too, were he not traumatized by the fairy's antics while he was asleep. 

"Hey, Sehun," said the fairy as he sat down across the other man. "Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot!" answered Sehun before swallowing a large piece of hotdog.

"What do you think about a relationship between fairies and mortals?" Baekhyun asked, quickly glancing away.

Sehun took some time to chew on his food before answering, "You mean like a romantic relationship, right?"

"Umm... yeah," the fairy turned his gaze down to his cereal, feeling a blush creep up his face.

"I'm not against it exactly," Sehun answered. "I mean, I am a product of such a relationship, aren't I?"

"You don't sound quite sure," Baekhyun pointed out.

The half-mortal took another spoonful before he continued, "To be honest, I'm a bit ambivalent on that matter, but my views could be tainted because of my relationship with my father."

"What do you mean?" the fairy tried to probe further, hoping the other one would not shut him out.

"I've seen a lot of fairy and mortal couples, both here and in the fae world," Sehun spoke. "I have many friends who are half-fae and half-world and they seem happy. I can't say the same for my situation though, being an illegitimate son. But don't get me wrong. I love my stepmother very much, as she took care of me growing up."

"I did notice you don't talk about your real mother that much," Baekhyun commented.

"Do we really have to put a damper so early in the day?" Sehun raised an eyebrow. "I hope my answer was satisfactory enough."

Baekhyun only nodded and ate a bit before he spoke once more. "Umm... Sehun?"

"Yes, Baek?" Sehun rolled his eyes.

"If it's not an issue for fairies and mortals to be in love, why aren't luck fairies allowed to?" The fairy tried his best to keep his voice steady. 

"That is such bull," Sehun exhaled loudly. "You can't stop anyone from falling in love, whether they be fae or mortal. Why are you asking these stuff all of a sudden, Baek?"

"Umm... I..." Baekhyun stammered. "L-last night... umm..."

"Last night, what?" Sehun glared at the other one. "Spit it out."

"Kris-may-have-confessed-to-me-and-I-kind-of-accepted," Baekhyun covered his mouth with both hands.

"Oh, Kris-hyung finally confessed, eh?" Sehun had a smirk on his face. "Good for you! Now he can leave Tao and me in peace. Sheesh! For a man like him, why would a confession of love scare him so much? Do you know how many nights your boyfriend has been a between me and my boyfriend?"

To say Baekhyun was surprised would be a terrible understatement. He did not expect the half-mortal to react that way and actually be supportive. Baekhyun was half expecting Sehun to be angry, seeing as the latter knew more about customs of both the fae and the mortal world.

"I-I thought you wouldn't approve," Baekhyun said softly.

"Wait, what?" Sehun was agape. "Why would you think that way? I may act like a towards you, Baek, but I'm that way to all my friends."

"Well, it's just that Boss Chen said that I shouldn't fall in love with my charge," Baekhyun explained, telling the other about what also happened with Luhan.

Sehun stopped to think. "Hmm. I believe they have a point somewhat, and I think it's because of your job, Baek. Luck is a very volatile substance, and I'm sure you've been warned about using too much, right? Wait, don't tell me you've been using too much luck on Kris-hyung?!"

"No! Umm..." Baekhyun bit his lip. "I might have... once... or twice. But I just wanted to make up for those three days of absences."

Sehun sighed. "Are you sure?"

Baekhyun nodded weakly. In truth, the fairy had been adding an extra pinch or two to Kris' luck for more than two times, thinking that his charge deserved it anyway. Kris acknowledged it gratefully too, indirectly that is. Baekhyun knew he couldn't tell Kris about who he really is, but the young fairy would always feel a flutter whenever the other man would tell him that Baekhyun was Kris' lucky charm.

"Baekhyun..." Sehun looked fiercely at the other man. "Tell me the truth."

"Okay... okay." The fairy grew flustered and pleaded, "I won't do it again. Please don't tell Boss Chen."

The other one let out another sigh. "Just... don't do it anymore, Baek. It's only autumn."

Baekhyun did not have to be told what Sehun was implying. "I promise." 

With those words left in the air, the two of them finished their breakfast. It wasn't long after when Baekhyun felt his cellphone vibrate with a text message from Kris that the latter was downstairs. Bidding his roommate goodbye, Baekhyun went out to meet his new boyfriend.

Before the fairy could get down the stairs, Kris had already stepped up to him, saying, "I dreamed about you last night."

"I'm not even sure if I'm really awake," Baekhyun said in reply.

The taller man leaned in to give Baekhyun a peck on the lips. "This is real, Baekkie. We're real."

For the moment and some time after, Baekhyun forgot about the heavy conversation he had had with his roommate.