Chapter 2: I should be so LUCKY

Twisted Fates

Baekhyun was bored. He was also confused. He was bored and confused. 

The young fairy was a fresh graduate from the Fairy Academy, and became the newest intern for the Luck Sprinklers. Yes, it was a sorry name for the team of fairies who work for Lady Luck, the fairy queen of, well, luck. No one knows why the luck fairies have called themselves the Sprinklers. The huge array of history books that the fairies kept mention no such event, but the name has stuck ever since. Rumor has it that it was Lady Luck who thought of the name while frolicking in poppy, but everyone knows that the Queen of Luck has a terrible temper. To be in the line of sight when she is angered is a death sentence.

How Baekhyun thought that being a Sprinkler could be fun, he did not know. The recruitment process for being a luck fairy was a long and arduous process. Yet, performance in the Fairy Academy did not really matter at all; not that Baekhyun was a slacker in the Academy. He might have had a few road bumps along the way, but he still considered himself a graduate of flying colors. Well, to be honest, only one color flew when he raised his diploma in victory, but a flying color is a flying color and that's that. Baekhyun still wondered though that, with the long list of requirements in the application papers he submitted, his transcript from the Fairy Academy was not even requested. Sometimes, he that that the Fairy Resource Department of the Luck Sprinklers, 51 Toadstool Way just pulled his name out of a bowl in order to be accepted.

Nevertheless, Baekhyun did a happy dance when he heard the news of his acceptance into the Sprinklers. It was a secret that will never leave the four walls of his bedroom.

With wide eyes and a great smile, he went onto the first day on the job as an intern. It did not take long for his expectations to crash, though, when he was greeted at the door by his surly, stick-by-the-rules-and-you-will-never-fail, Boss Chen. It did not take any time at all for his expectations to be buried six feet under, when his boss began to drone on and on about "The One Thousand and One Rules for Being a Luck Fairy" by Sahrzad the Historian. 

The "rules orientation" took a whole month to finish, but Baekhyun stood firm. He never gave up. He is a fairy of strength, diligence and industry. He knew he was out of his mind when he filled in that application form.

It took another month for Baekhyun to finally learn the ropes of being a luck fairy. Well that would be true if learning meant simply listening to Boss Chen and looking at diagrams of how a luck fairy is supposed to act in theory. Still, Baekhyun stood firm and his hard work paid off.

A couple of weeks ago, Baekhyun earned his fairy cloud puff, which would be the equivalent to the regular fairy wings that other jobs get, to allow him to watch over his charge in peace. It even came with a built-in cherub replica that played whatever music he desired, for music to a fairy is like mud to a pig. Of course, Boss Chen wouldn't be Boss Chen if he didn't leave Baekhyun to his own devices after transporting the younger fairy to where his new charge was.

Baekhyun's charge was the very handsome, very intelligent, very humorous Kris Wu. That was, of course, the description of great bias according to Baekhyun himself. Being Kris' luck fairy, he was obliged to follow the mortal around and Baekhyun began to know the guy by observation. Sometimes, Baekhyun would laugh at Kris' lame jokes, then he would suddenly be embarrassed with himself for laughing, and when he realized there was no one else around to see him anyway, Baekhyun would be embarrassed for being embarrassed in the first place.

Yes, Kris struck the fairy's heartstrings, but Boss Chen's last words before leaving was to never fall in love with his charge. Why would his boss torture him this way? It wasn't unheard of for fairies and humans to fall in love. Look at, well, Lord Cupid, not the cupid fairies, and Lady Psyche. They were the epitome of love. Of course, Lady Psyche had to endure the cruel tests of Lord Cupid's mother, but, hey, it's the happy ending that matters. Look at Brad and Angelina. Baekhyun would bet his own cherub replica that one of them had to be a fairy or at least a fairy by blood.

Falling in love should not be an issue for a fairy! Baekhyun slammed his fist down hard on his cloud puff and caused it to wobble around furiously. The luck fairy almost fell but managed to hold on.

'Oops!' Baekhyun thought to himself when he finally regained balanced. He suddenly saw something from the corner of his eye. It somehow looked like a flying cotton candy.

"Hi! Hi!!" screamed the flying cotton candy as it zipped quickly towards Baekhyun.

The young fairy froze in surprise when said flying cotton candy barreled into him, making the two of them falling to the ground. Baekhyun somehow realized that the flying cotton candy was actually another fairy. He tried to push the other one off him, when he realized he was face to face with a thick mop of shocking pink hair.

"Lu-Lu Han??" Baekhyun exclaimed, as he finally managed to get the other fairy off him and stood up. "What did you do to your hair?!"

"BACON!!" the other fairy Baekhyun called Lu Han screamed. "I missed you! How are you? Omo! I hear you are a luck fairy now! I'm jealous! I want to be a luck fairy! Make me a luck fairy, Bacon~! I need to be a luck fairy! I am born to be a luck fairy, you see? Bacon~! PLEEEEAAASSSEEEEE~!!"

"Wait a minute!!" Baekhyun shouted over what the other one was babbling. "Slow down, Lu Han! Sheesh! You sound like you ate three bowls of honey-coated sunflower seeds with a double shot of espresso topped with jelly beans and whipped cream."

"Aaah~!" Lu Han almost turned the other fairy deaf. "That was my breakfast! How did you know that? You are so cool! I haven't seen you since graduation and you know my breakfast. Are you psychic? I don't know any other fairy who is psychic. Omo! I have a psychic fairy friend! Quick! Tell me what I'm thinking!"

Baekhyun couldn't stop himself from hitting his friend at the side of the head. "I am not psychic! I was just exaggerating! How would I know what your breakfast is today? Like you said, I haven't seen you since graduation. Four years of having you as a roommate was more than enough to last me a lifetime."

Lu Han pouted. "You're mean! Here I am missing you, and yet you say mean things to me. We don't have to be roommates again, but it doesn't mean you don't have to call me anymore. I thought we were friends."

"I'm sorry, Lulu," Baekhyun took the other fairy's hands in his, and knocked their foreheads together. "Of course, we're friends. I'm just a bit out of sync today. I'm also sorry I haven't been in contact since graduation. As you well know, I was accepted into the luck fairy internship and it's really hard. This is my first assignment and I don't want to screw up."

"You are so cool, Bacon~! I didn't really believe it when they said you applied for Luck Sprinklers, but I prayed very hard that you would get in. You are a very good fairy, Bacon! I knew you would get it and you would work hard!"

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lulu," Baekhyun genuinely smiled. "Well, how about you? How are you doing? I've been so out of link with everyone these past few weeks. Did you get into the Flower Pollinators Program? Tell me!"

"No, my application was denied," said Lu Han, turning his head from side to side. "It's a good thing I also applied for Psychedelic Charmers, and now I'm a cupid fairy! Isn't that exciting? But you are more exciting! You're the one who became a luck fairy!"

Baekhyun couldn't help but be infected by his friend's enthusiasm, but all he could manage at the moment was a vague smile. "Well, luck fairy intern at the moment."

"Nope! You are a luck fairy and that is true because you believe in yourself, right?" Lu Han gave his friend a goofy grin.

Baekhyun's smile grew into a grin. Lu Han really knew him, coming at the right time when he started to believe he could never be a true luck fairy. He ruffled his friend's pink hair in jest and appreciation.

Lu Han swatted his friend's hand away. "I'll give you that chance to mess my hair up, Bacon, 'cause you seemed sad. But no more, you hear? No more~!"

"Alright, alright!" Baekhyun giggled. "That's just so typical of you, being a kitten one minute, and Godzilla the next. What are you doing around here anyway? I've been here a couple of weeks and I haven't seen any other fairies around."

"Huh?" Lu Han answered. "But fairies are always around. There's a fairy associated for every good thing that mortals do. You must have seen at least a hundred by now. Oh, wait. That's right; there are only a few jobs that allow one to see other fairies in action. We were taught that in cupid boot camp, because we also need to shoot our arrows at fairies who fall in love."

"O...kay... So I guess you had to shoot someone because you were in the area, right?"  Baekhyun fished, and thought, 'I hope it was me.'

"That's right," Lu Han answered with enthusiasm. "It was two mortals who really had no idea that they were meant for each other. Lord Cupid himself ordered the hit, because he was sick of those two going behind the bleachers and just staring and stammering and going nowhere. Sheesh! I followed those around before shooting just to see if they had any chance of falling into love by themselves so I could save an arrow or two, but nooooo... They had to avoid looking at each other's eyes, and blushing, and being tongue-tied, and... I had to shoot that Tao in the head, just to deliver the best amount of dose directly."

"Huh?" said Baekhyun. "I thought cupids were supposed to shoot at the heart."

"Oh, get over yourself, Bacon! That's such a fallacy. We can actually shoot anywhere that we like, just as long as we hit our target so the dose penetrates the blood. Everyone knows it all ends up in the head anyway. The reason we shoot the heart is because it's the one pumping all those blood around, but if we really want to deliver the maximum dose, we shoot at the head. This is for special cases like that Tao who just can't seem to get through to his thick skull that Sehun likes him. Geez! Mortals! Now, I want to shoot a real arrow this time."

"Whoa! Calm down, sniper. No need to go all gung-ho on me. I was just asking."

Both of them grew quiet for a few moments. Lu Han calmed himself down, while Baekhyun tried to find the courage to ask, "Are fairies allowed to fall in love with mortals? I-I mean... I'm just asking... since you are a cupid fairy and all... and you shoot arrows of love... and... and..."

"I understand, Bacon," Lu Han answered. "Yes, fairies are allowed to fall in love with mortals. There have been a lot of unions. Some of them had their happy endings; others not so, but there are many reasons involved. But I believe you have a different question in mind, don't you, Baekhyun?"

"I... I..." the other fairy stuttered.

Lu Han smiled at his friend. "I've seen your charge, Baekhyun. He's very handsome and has really good qualities. It would be easy to fall in love with such a guy."

"So...um... maybe there's a... chance?"

"I don't know, Bacon," Lu Han answered vaguely. "While there are many unions between fairies and humans, a union between a luck fairy and a human is unheard of, well, almost." Lu Han suddenly covered his mouth, horrified.

"You said almost, Lulu~! What do you mean? So it is possible for a luck fairy and a human to be in love with each other? Lu Han, answer me!"

"No... No, I can't," Lu Han panicked. "I-I have to go. Headquarters is calling an emergency."

The cupid fairy tried to leave but Baekhyun grabbed his wrist to hold him back. "Please, Lu Han. You're my friend. I need you to be honest with me."

"I-I've already said too much," Lu Han tried to take the other one's hand off him. "I'm so sorry, Bacon! Geez! I'll be in so much trouble just for bringing that up. Baekhyun, I beg you not to fall in love with your charge. Just... please don't."

After struggling for a bit more, Lu Han finally freed himself and took off. Baekhyun was caught in surprise and fell back to the ground.