Chapter 3: Twist, twist, mashed potato, mambo!

Twisted Fates

Kris was making his way back to the dormitory, grateful that the torture of being a third wheel was over. Chanyeol practically kidnapped him to go to an afternoon movie, together with Kyungsoo. Kris was supposed to be the buffer for Kyungsoo's anger. The latter apparently did not like Chanyeol's birthday surprise for him a couple of weeks ago.

After Kris won the raffle prize of a dinner date for two, Chanyeol was practically down on his knees begging Kris to let him buy the ticket from the other guy. Kris somehow had it in mind that Tao also wanted the prize but was too shy to ask. Being the considerate person he is, Kris talked with the guy he treated as his younger brother first to ask if it was okay if he would give the winning ticket to Chanyeol. Tao was surprised at Kris' actions though and agreed without doubt, since he also liked how Kyungsoo was good for Chanyeol.

Chanyeol's great plans backfired, though, when the dinner date for two was at the restaurant owned by Kyungsoo's family. None of them knew that Kyungsoo had donated the grand prize. 

"I could have easily just cooked for you!" Kyungsoo told Chanyeol after their 'date' which incidentally Kyungsoo cooked for the winners. Two weeks later and Chanyeol was still groveling.

Kris was interrupted from his thoughts, when he suddenly saw another guy losing his balance and falling to the pavement. He was able to get there just in time to catch the other one mid-fall.

"Careful there!" Kris said.

Catching a glimpse of the other guy's face, he saw that the man he saved wasn't bad-looking. The other one had his eyes closed, perhaps in fear, and Kris felt something stir in him as took note of the eyeliner with flecks of gold. The other guy also was wearing a kind-of suit in white, which made Kris think that he must have come from a cosplay convention or something. The whole outfit wasn't university regulation, or at least, not something normal people wear every day.

The man stirred. When he finally opened his eyes, he started to struggle and Kris had to help him up. He started to take a few steps back, in surprise and probably fear.

"Look," said Kris. "I'm not going to hurt you. I saw you fall and, trust me, that pavement isn't as soft as it looks." He gave the other one a smile, hopefully trying to look as unthreatening as possible.

"Y-you..." the other started began to speak. "H-how..."

The man quickly turned his back on Kris and ran away fast. Kris himself was surprised at the other guy's reaction. That was something new. Kris tried to follow, but decided against it. The other one might think of him as actually dangerous, and that was the last thing Kris wanted him to think if they ever cross paths again. The young university student simply followed the stranger with his eyes, until he disappeared behind some trees in the distance.

"I didn't even get his name," Kris said loudly to himself. "Oh well."

 

Panic. That was the only thing that was going on in Baekhyun's mind. That was Kris. Kris touched him. Kris saw him. Kris saw and touched him? How did that happen? That wasn't supposed to happen. Was it? 

'Am I doomed now?' Baekhyun thought to himself.

The young fairy tried to think back what happened. 'I was supposed to be waiting for Kris at that spot because the scroll said so. Then Lu Han appeared and knocked me to the ground. Then we talked and he ran off on me. Wait... I fell back and Kris caught me... but, how?'

"I can't think like this," Baekhyun said aloud. "I should get back to headquarters... oh... no! No! No! No! My cloud puff!"

The fairy looked around, but could not find his cloud puff until he realized that he left it behind. "I should go back, but what if Kris sees me again? What if someone else sees me? This fairy regulation uniform already makes me stick out like a sore thumb!"

Suddenly, a light bulb went off inside Baekhyun's head. He tried to call out  softly, "Boss Chen... Boss Chen... Boss Chen..."

"Aigoo~! This is stupid," said Baekhyun. "How would he hear me anyway? How about..." He started to pat all around his suit, and found his scroll. The young fairy thought that if headquarters sent instructions via the scroll, he may be able to send a message back through it as well.

Pulling out the scroll and the matching quill, Baekhyun wrote, 'Dear, Boss Chen, I need help. Please come quickl-'

Before Baekhyun could finish the last letter, his immediate supervisor appeared before him.

"What are you doing, stupid?" said Chen loudly in greeting.

"Boss Chen!" the other fairy exclaimed. "You came- Ow!"

The resounding thud of the frying pan hitting Baekhyun's head filled the air.

"Are you deliberately trying to provoke me? How many times do I have to tell you how to use the scroll properly? Did you not read Rule number 843, article 76, section 59, line 36??"

"I'm so sorry," Baekhyun apologized. "I had no other choice. It was an emergency."

"Emergency?!" said the other fairy, the tips of his ears turning red in frustration. "How does a luck fairy get into an emergency? How can there be an emergency when you only have to sprinkle lucky dust on a specified time at a specified place? Did you see a luck robber?"

"Err... no..." Baekhyun replied.

"I see you're not in danger of dying, and there are no luck robbers around. What other emergency can there be? You are wasting my time. Go back the headquarters if you are bored. Your desk is ready, so you can start your paperwork. The rules do not say that you have to stick to your charge all the time."

"Well... about that... I... uh..." Baekhyun couldn't meet his supervisor's eyes.

"You... uh? Speak up, intern! I do not have all day."

Still looking away, the young fairy spoke quickly and loudly, "I-lost-my-cloud-puff-when-I-ran-away..."

"There! Wasn't it easy to speak out loud? You lost your... YOU LOST YOUR CLOUD PUFF??" Chen's eyes grew wide.

"But, Boss, you see. It was like this," Baekhyun tried his best to explain what happened since he arrived. "The next thing I knew, Kris caught me and I panicked and here I am. I didn't know he could see me."

"But of course he would see you, stupid!" Chen smacked his forehead. "You were off your cloud puff! How do you think fairies keep their invisibility?"

"With their wings," the other one answered. "But luck fairies don't have wings."

"This is exactly why we have cloud puffs! Argh~! I should take out that frying pan again... no... Not a frying pan... a wok! Two feet wide! Yes..." Boss Chen's eyes twinkled in glee.

"I'm sorry, Boss!" Baekhyun went down on his knees. "I didn't mean to do it."

"You do at least have the cloud caller with you, right?"

"Cloud caller?"

Chen looked up and raised his arms to the sky. "Where did I go wrong in training you? How did you even get into this internship program? Those stupid fairy resource personnel must have just pulled your name out of a hat. Don't you know what a cloud caller is? It's that whistle thing that the cherub holds."

"Oh..."

"Yes, oh!" Chen squeezed his eyes shut and breathed deep. "Keep calm... deep breaths... must not let two years of anger management go down the drain because of one stupid intern. You can do this."

Baekhyun opened his mouth to speak but the other fairy signaled him to shut it.

The older one exhaled loudly once more and opened his eyes. "Alright, there's no use trying to go back to the past. Even though this definitely was your own fault, the blame culture is not the Sprinkler way. We must look forward. What to do... what to do..."

The younger fairy could only watch his supervisor think.

"Alright," Chen spoke again. "I cannot think of any other way than to replace your lost cloud puff. Aigoo~! This is bad! Notus is in charge of the clouds for this season."

"Notus, boss?"

"The South Wind, carrier of storms, whose reputation is just as bad. A replacement cloud puff will not be easy to get. If I'd have known you would just lose your cloud puff, you should have done it a fortnight ago when Boreas was still in charge. At least, he was only cold."

"Err... how long would it take, boss?"

"I don't know. Notus barely checks any correspondence. I'd have to appear before him personally. I'd have to pencil that in to my schedule, and set an appointment with him, and..." Chen grew silent, thinking. "I think three months...at the least."

"Boss?!" Baekhyun exclaimed. "Three months. But that's when the seasons change."

"Exactly! Eurus would be in charge then. He's easier to do business with."

"But boss," said the younger one "What would I do for the next three months?"

"Your duties, of course! You think you can shirk from that?"

"B-but, how would I do it without my cloud puff?"

"Why, you'll be doing it the old-fashioned way," answered Chen, pulling out a card. "Seek out the name on this. He'll be able to help you assimilate into the mortal world."