Chapter 5: Isn't It Neat

Twisted Fates

It was a warm, Monday afternoon and the skies overhead were clear. Kris had just come out of his last class for the day and saw Chanyeol and Kyungsoo sitting at one of the outdoor cafes in the campus. His roommate saw him and waved him over to join them. Kris made his way towards the couple, but before he could take a seat, he stubbed his big toe on one of the legs.

“Ow!” Kris exclaimed.

“Are you alright, Kris?” Kyungsoo asked, concern in his voice. “Do you need to have the nurse look that over?”

“No, no, I’m fine,” answered the other guy. “Don’t worry. It just another on my streak of bad luck since the weekend.”

“Hey,” Chanyeol pouted. “How come you don’t sound as concerned for me when I stub my toe on a chair leg?”

Kyungsoo took his boyfriend’s hand in his and patted it. “That’s because it’s just stupidity when you do it, babe. Didn’t you hear Kris? He has bad luck. Maybe his luck fairy is not around.”

“Why do I get to be called stupid?” Chanyeol mumbled to himself.

“Come on, don’t be upset,” Kyungsoo pinched his boyfriend’s cheek. “You’ll scare away the fairies.”

Kris raised an eyebrow towards Chanyeol, looking confused. “Fairies?”

“Kyungsoo’s family really believes in fairies,” Chanyeol answered him. “Especially his grandmother.”

“That’s true,” Kyungsoo added. “She used to tell me stories about her adventures with the fairies who showed themselves to her when she was a child. Of course, the times were different, but I was fascinated by her stories. Halmoni and I believe that my father is blessed by a luck fairy. I can recognize the signs my halmoni told me about.”

Kris was in quiet disbelief. While the three of them were about the same age, he hasn’t really hung out with Chanyeol’s boyfriend as much as he could because he had different classes from the two of them.

“I strongly believe you are blessed with a luck fairy, Kris,” Kyungsoo remarked firmly. “But if you’ve been having a streak of bad luck, something must have happened to your fairy.”

“Babe, you’re making Kris uncomfortable, I think,” said Chanyeol, reading through Kris’ poker face.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo bowed towards the other man. “I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable.”

“You don’t have to apologize,” Kris waved his hands and head quickly. “I’m just not used to hearing about fairies and similar stories. I was very young when my laolao died.”

“That’s sad to hear,” said Kyungsoo. “But what about your father’s parents?”

Kris shook his head. “They live in another country, so I’ve never really spent time with them while growing up. I think they still resent my dad for settling in this country.”

“Talk about depressing,” Chanyeol said, earning him a slap on the leg.

Kyungsoo scowled at his significant other. “Well, on to better topics then because someone here is being a jerk. So the annual poker tournament is coming up, Kris? Will you still be defending your crown? Or are you going to let the newbies finally have a shot?”

“Of course, he’s going to enter!” Chanyeol interjected. “He’s the King of Poker Faces!”

Being contrary to what Chanyeol just declared, Kris laughed. “I didn’t know you followed the tournament, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo smiled. “It’s funny how you deny your own popularity, Mr. Wu. No other event is as greatly celebrated in our school as the annual poker tournament. Everyone looks forward to it even more than our home sports games. Of course, it has gained even more popularity when a certain freshman beat the heavily favored winner of the year and has kept his crown for three years running.”

Kris blushed at the other man’s statement. “I guess I’m just lucky.”

“Nope, you are the King of Poker Faces!” Chanyeol interjected again. “You have like mad card skills, man. You easily tore down that senior’s wall of steady faces that was rumored he was perfecting for the past three years.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Kris blushed even more.

“Nah, man!” Chanyeol spoke again. “You also have these mad people-reading skills. It’s like no matter how they try, you always bait them out and smack them with your mighty hammer of poker victory!”

“Okay, now that’s just nonsense,” Kris let out another laugh. “I guess I’ve just been lucky at the cards.”

“I think you are skilled, Kris,” Kyungsoo said, nodding. “But I wouldn’t go so far in describing it as my little stupid puppy here.”

“Little?!” Chanyeol’s mouth hung open, and then he frowned. “I’ll show you little!”

“I was just teasing, babe,” Kyungsoo leaned in to give his boyfriend a peck on the lips, before he turned back to Kris. “But I do think there’s something more than just skill, Kris. One victory may be a fluke. Twice may be a coincidence. But three crowns? You’re not just skillful, but Lady Luck has really favored you with your own personal luck fairy.”

“Babe, I thought we weren’t going to talk about fairies for now,” Chanyeol reminded him, as he took the other guy’s hand in his and gave it a kiss.

“Sheesh, you two are the cheesiest couple I’ve ever met,” Kris remarked, not having seen Chanyeol this doting on any of his exes. And the latter did leave a lot of broken hearts before he seemed to be settling down with Kyungsoo. “But I find it oddly cute at the same time. It makes me wish for someone to be mine too.”

Kyungsoo raised his free hand. “Let me just say this one last thing and I’ll stop mentioning the fairies, but, Kris, with your luck fairy, I’m sure you’re going to find someone to be cheesy with soon.”

“From your mouth to heaven’s ears, Kyungsoo,” Kris had a wistful smile on his lips.

Although not as many as Chanyeol’s, Kris did have some relationships in the past. Not everything ended well though and he just wanted to find that one person who would stick by him through the laughter and tears. Of course, it does help if the guy also had the looks. Just like that guy.

“Hey, Kyungsoo, you’ve seen a lot of people from the university, right?” Kris suddenly asked, as he remembered the handsome guy he caught when he was walking home the weekend before.

Kyungsoo’s family owned a restaurant and it was famous throughout the whole campus for its friendly atmosphere and student-affordable prices. Kyungsoo, who was a business major, worked there during some of his days off from school. “I guess so.”

“So… um…” Kris hesitated. “Have you seen this guy with hair like the color of bright orange flames?”

Kyungsoo was in the middle of sipping his juice when Kris asked the question, causing the former to sputter and spray some of his drink to the side. “I-I’m sorry, what?”

“Uh, never mind,” said Kris, as he handed tissue to Chanyeol who was helping his boyfriend wipe off the spilled juice. “I mean, the orange hair might not really be his natural color. He did look like he came from a cosplay convention anyway.”

“Who came from a cosplay convention?” Chanyeol asked.

“Th-that guy I asked Kyungsoo about,” Kris answered. “Just forget about it.”

“Ooh,” Kris’ roommate had a teasing twinkle in his eye. “Someone finally caught the King’s attention. Here that, babe? The King may have finally found his…”

“Just stop right there, Chanyeol,” Kris threatened, with a smile still on his face. “Just… stop.”

“Okay, now I’m intrigued,” Kyungsoo interjected. “Tell us how you met the guy. What’s his name?”

“That’s the problem,” Kris sighed loudly. “I don’t know his name.”

 

“You know his name!” Sehun said in a loud voice as made his way inside their enchanted dorm room.

“I invoke amnesia?” Baekhyun cringed, not really understanding why Sehun would be so pissed off.

“That will not work on me, Baek,” Sehun turned around to face his new roommate. “I want to know the name of that cupid fairy who shot me! I don’t know what twisted games are going on inside my father’s mind right now, but you will tell me who that fairy is or I swear…”

“I-it’s Luhan,” Baekhyun finally caved in, as he thought back at the events that unfolded that day.

The day before all this madness started, Baekhyun’s necessary equipment to continue with his duties had finally arrived via delivery from the fairy division of UPS. Sehun gave him what he called a tablet and instructed Baekhyun on its many uses. The luck fairy was a quick study as it mostly had the same purpose as his old cloud puff with its cute cherub.

The package also came in with what looked like a click pen. It wasn’t really a pen though as Baekhyun was to fill it with his lucky dust and click it when his charge was nearby. He needed to be careful how he would use the pen though and be discreet about it. The delivery of the lucky dust would not be as potent as when Baekhyun had his cloud puff though, thus he needed to be able to spray on his charge several times a day.

Sehun had to procure Kris’ class schedule as well as Baekhyun’s own class schedule, so the latter would know where his charge was and so that Baekhyun would not also look like a wandering creep. Baekhyun’s face fell, though, when Sehun told him that he made Tao place a tracker on Kris’ wallet which should show up on the luck fairy’s tablet. Baekhyun felt more like a stalker with every piece of “equipment” that Sehun gave him, just so he can perform his duties.

“And now for the final touch,” Sehun told him before they went out of the dorm room for Baekhyun’s first day in school and back at the job. “Your hair.”

“What?!” Baekhyun screamed. “No way! No! No! You are not touching my hair!”

“Oh, yes, I will!” Sehun glared at the other guy. “What is your problem? I’m just going to turn it into a darker brown. I’m not shaving it off.”

“But I love my hair!” Baekhyun complained.

“Baek, would you take a look at yourself.” At Sehun’s words, their dorm turned into a hallway of mirrors. “You are carrying a backpack; you look like someone just above the status of homeless with your choice of mortal fashion; you are carrying a tablet, and have a cellphone on a sling around your neck. With your orange hair, let’s face it. All we need is a taxi outside, waiting for you to follow your idols around. I’m sure that’s not far away from what you really do, but you were invisible when you were doing your job before. I’m sure you have a big crush on Kris, and I can just imagine you giggling and squealing like a schoolgirl receiving her first love letter whenever he is around. You are not doing that with ORANGE HAIR. I will tone down that hair color and at least give you some semblance of being a calm and collected fan boy. Now, I don’t want to hear any more complaints.”

With a snap of Sehun’s fingers, Baekhyun’s hair turned into a shade of dark brown just like any other normal student in their university. Baekhyun hated it. His flame-orange hair was his pride. And now it was plain brown. At least, Sehun allowed him to keep his gold eyeliner.

Baekhyun was finally ready to go back to his job. He was at the designated place five minutes early. Seventeen minutes later and the luck fairy was still waiting. Kris was supposed to pass by this hallway ten minutes ago. Baekhyun was already at the perfect place, in a corner of another hallway where he would click his pen when Kris would walk in front of him before he would go in his classroom a couple of doors down.

The reality though was Baekhyun slumped down on the floor, still waiting for his charge to come. It was a good thing that the hallways were already quiet as everyone else was in class. Everyone that is except for Kris Wu who, unknown to Baekhyun, had a crappy weekend being plagued with bad luck which was still going on that morning by being tardy.

A minute later and finally Baekhyun heard the door at the end of the hallway open. He stuck his head out a bit and saw his charge. Kris Wu had just entered the building, hair unkempt, with slight bags under the eyes but nonetheless handsome as ever. As crappy as his luck had been, one strap of his bag got caught in the door handle, causing Kris to stumble back. Baekhyun couldn’t help but let out a snicker.

When Kris finally got himself free, he looked down at his watch. He barely had two minutes until he would be considered tardy, and the professor, for the class he was going to, had a vendetta against those who would come in late. Left with no other choice, Kris made a dash for it.

Baekhyun got ready. He saw Kris running towards where he was and he just needed to time his click as the other man passed by. Kris would be able to get inside his class with two seconds to spare. His charge  would earn nothing but a glare from that professor, because technically, Kris was still within the limit.

Baekhyun’s plans were foolproof, that is until suddenly someone pulled him back just as Kris passed by. The luck fairy let out a loud yelp as he found himself falling back. His and Kris’ eyes met for a moment.

Baekhyun thought he could see Kris mouthing, “I remember you,” as he saw the recognition in the other man’s eyes. Baekhyun’s gold eyeliner might have been a giveaway, although Kris was just as suddenly gone, having decided that not being tardy for class was more important than helping a guy who slipped on the hallway.

Baekhyun heard the professor’s voice when Kris opened his classroom door a few feet away. “Ah, Mr. Wu, you are just in time to be late.” The rest of the words were muffled as Baekhyun realized that Kris had closed the door to his classroom behind him.

As all this was going on, the luck fairy was really falling backward. Suddenly, someone caught him. Baekhyun looked up and saw the shocking pink hair of…

“Luhan, what have you done?!” Baekhyun tried to right himself, with some help for his cupid fairy friend.

“I’m sorry,” Luhan said. “I was lost in the hallways when I saw you. I just got excited. Where you waiting for someone?”

“Oh, geez!” Baekhyun did a facepalm. “May the ground open up and swallow me! That was my chance to finally sprinkle luck again on my charge after three days of absence from my job.”

“You’ve been absent for three days??” Luhan exclaimed. “Oh no, Bacon! What happened? Did you get sick? Did you eat those funny mushrooms again like we used to back in the academy and we would go running in the flower patches with our-“

“Nooooo!!” Baekhyun interrupted the other fairy, before he could speak any further. “I was absent because I lost my cloud puff.”

“You lost your cloud puff?” Luhan gasped. “When?”

“Three days ago,” Baekhyun answered, glaring at his friend.

"Three days ago? But I just saw you three days ago and… oh…” Luhan was hit with the realization that he had tackled Baekhyun three days ago, causing the two of them to topple to the ground. Everyone knows luck fairies are not allowed to step off their cloud puffs while on the job because those had a tendency to float away when unattended.

“Yes, oh!” Baekhyun looked up to the ceiling, trying to calm himself down.

“You, two!” Baekhyun suddenly heard someone call out to him and Luhan.

The luck fairy turned to the direction of the voice and saw that it was Sehun.

"What in the world are you two doing?” Sehun was marching towards them, appearing to be fuming. “Baekhyun, you are in the mortal world and you don’t have a cloud puff to keep you invisible. Do you realize that you look like a retard standing there talking to someone who mortals could not see?”

“Oops, I-I’m sorry, Sehun,” Baekhyun blushed.

“Is that Oh Sehun?” Luhan whispered to his friend.

“Yes,” Baekhyun replied. “Sehun, meet-“

Before Baekhyun could say anything more, Luhan had suddenly pulled out a small crossbow and pulled the trigger. The bolt flew towards Sehun’s heart, and Baekhyun could only stand there with his mouth agape. The next thing he knew, Luhan was nowhere to be found.

Baekhyun and Sehun were presently back in the dorm room. The bolt from Luhan’s crossbow was still sticking out of Sehun’s chest. It seemed like it was invisible to mortals because no one looked at them funny while the two of them were walking back to their dorm building.

“Luhan…” Sehun’s eyes flared in anger as he began to mutter out loud. “I’m going to rip out your pink hair, and then I’ll rip out your wings, and then… no, no. First, I will deal with my father.”

With a wave of his hand, the enchanted dorm room turned out a hallway of mirrors that was different from the one that morning. The mirrors were all framed and Sehun walked towards the most opulent one.

“Mirror!” Sehun screamed. “Mirror!”

Baekhyun was surprised when he saw a face appear in front of the mirror Sehun was looking at.

“Master Sehun, it is nice to finally see you again after-“

“Shut it,” Sehun snapped. “I need to speak with my father.”

No matter how he tried, Baekhyun realized he would never know the true depths of the personality that is Oh Sehun. He also realized that if he wouldn’t go out now, he would be the one who is late for class. He still had to maintain a degree of normalcy while he was stuck in the mortal world.