Musical Piece

Candies and Jars
“Go and play Turkish March.”
“But sir, I have prepared my own composition.”
“Show me.”
 
Fingers started to dance on the piano keys and give out beautiful music. He looked at his hands and concentrated, reminding himself not to have a mistake. He didn't even write notes down; his own composition was pure imagination. The piano keys seem to sink by themselves whenever he plays the piano. He does it brilliantly that you'd think he's cheating it, but he still kept on believing that he's not good enough. Since he is only living in this grand mansion because of his father who is a member of the household, he promised to his father and to himself that he'd do his best to help and to impress the family. There was one thing that the butler and his piano mentor kept on telling him.
 
“Never, ever dare to know the daughter. You can't be friends with her.”
 
“Why?” He thought whilst playing his musical piece. He wanted to think further about it but he shrugged the thought away. He decided to focus on his musical piece, for with this he'd avoid trouble and breaking his promise.
 
“Music keeps the house alive.”
 
“You're doing better.”
 
The butler praised him with a resting face, but with a small curve showing on the side of his lips. The boy smiled and nodded, being more eager on playing his invented piano piece.
 
 
~
 
“Are you excited now that you're coming home, Miss?”
 
 
The girl just nodded with a faint smile on her lips that never seemed to leave. She sat perfectly straight with her legs sticking to each other and her hands resting on her lap. The old man who was a member of the household heard her sigh inaudibly with a small hint of sadness. The car kept on moving to places she'd never seen.
 
“Don't worry Miss, music will welcome you home.”
 
The girl's faint smile disappeared; she didn't know anything about this. The thought of hearing music once she entered the mansion really makes her wonder about it. Especially wondering about who the new pianist may be.
 
“Is he good?”
“Yes Miss, he's my son.”
 
Her straight lips cured upward into a smile. She grew excited but she didn't show it on the outside. She kept it to herself and stayed perfectly still. The car pulled the brakes for a moment and the gates swung open.
 
“Will he last long?”
 
The old man just mumbled quietly and she nodded. Her question was left unanswered.
 
 
~
 
 
Faint greetings were heard from the music room. He couldn't help but to get curious. His eyes looked around the windows but he didn't move his head so much. He could only see his father helping someone out of the car and the whole household was bowing. However, he still managed to play his musical piece while watching.
 
A girl appeared and walked closely beside the huge windows of the music room. He gazed at her in curiosity and can't help to watch wherever she may be going. His fingers' dancing became slower and the piano keys faintly sank. A slam by the butler surprised the boy and made his attention go back to playing his musical piece.
 
But he still couldn't get the girl out of his mind.
 
 
~
 
 
The girl kept a smile on her face when she heard the piano playing. The beautiful musical piece was stuck in her ears and it played over and over again in her head. Every time she remembers this, her smiles go bigger and merrier... like it doesn't matter if she couldn't see the world.
 
The music alone keeps her contented and alive.
 
 
~
 
 
“We're done for today. Next time, focus.”
 
The boy looked up at the butler, who had a frown imprinted on his face. He opened his mouth to speak but he was stopped when the butler walked away. He sighed and grabbed his bag and his notes. As he stood up, his eyes rested on the jar. Inside the jar were pretty candies that seemed sweet and dainty.
 
What more he was wondering about was why were there candies in the jar? The jar rested on the piano for a long time, empty and alone. But now, it was different. Who were the candies for?
 
The boy shrugged and took a candy in the jar and walked away from the music room.
 
He gazed at the piece of candy that was resting on the palm of his hand. His mind was still thinking about the girl, though. She was like this candy. Small and cute, but mysterious.
 
 
How could a candy even be mysterious?
 
Honestly, he didn't even know.
 
 
The boy shrugged and just took the piece of candy while walking in the hallway. He saw the girl a while ago and looked at her. Instead of the girl giving him a smile, she kept a straight look and walked past him. The boy looked back at her as he kept on walking. He quickly kept his sight back to where he's going and he met a man, someone from the household. He approached him and asked out of the curiosity boggling his mind.
 
“Why can't she see me?”
“None of your business. Move!”
 
The man shoved him to where he was supposed to go. The boy furrowed his brows and swatted his arms whilst he was being shoved away.
 
Before he would make a turn to the hallway to his room, he stopped just to look back in the music room. He saw the girl sitting by the piano.
 
He gave out a soft chuckle and a sweet smile as an incomplete, slow, yet innocent piano piece filled the house.
 
 
He was happy, but his heart ached.