09 Couldn't, Wouldn't

Bittersweet Capture

Everything had gone wrong the moment Miyoung stepped into the household.

Everything had gone wrong the moment she swore to get revenge on Lu Han.

This revenge, in all honesty, had been completed the moment Miyoung confirmed the woman’s words as the truth, but, why didn’t she feel an ounce of happiness? She should have been jumping for joy the moment she was successful in getting revenge like she wanted.

However, here she was, closed in a room – that room.

She had hurt the boy as much as she had hurt herself. Making fun of him and causing him to say something like that, regret was all Miyoung felt. Having changed back into the clothes she had came to the house in, she remembered the last things Lu Han had spoken to her.

He had permitted her to take all the jewels and valuables she wanted, even though all of those glittering items held absolutely no value to her.

Taking anything from him would be absolutely meaningless. She knew it all too well, but there had been one thing she considered to take. It held one perfect, happy memory of her stay here. It would remind her of everything she had experienced since she stepped into Lu Han’s household.

If she were to take anything, then she would take that.

 ————

“Are you sure it was the right decision to drive away Miyoung?” Sehun questioned, his eyes filled with uncertainty as he gazed at his two friends.

Lu Han did not remove his eyes from the book he had opened in front of him, making it impossible for Daehyun and Sehun to read his emotions, “Yes.”

Silence filled the room as Daehyun and Sehun exchanged worried looks. Knowing the old Lu Han, the two younger boys knew that something was definitely wrong; if Lu Han knew that it was the right choice to chase Miyoung away, he would not be acting so strangely like he was at that particular moment.

“…Why did you choose to trust her?” Daehyun finally asked, “Why did you choose to trust her confirmation about her intentions?”

“Because she didn’t deny that woman’s claims,” Lu Han replied simply, “so that means it has to be the truth, right?”

Sehun frowned, “But hyung! You can’t think of it that way – Do you really think that only honest people confirm claims of others? Liars can too!”

The young boy, obviously annoyed by the return of the calm and cool personality of his hyung, could not understand how he could just allow someone so hard-working and loyal to leave so easily. Miyoung had done absolutely nothing during her stay to indicate that she was a gold-digger like the woman implied.

If he could tell that the situation didn’t add up, then why couldn’t Lu Han?

“Just forget about her!” Lu Han raised his voice, “What’s so special about her anyways – ”

However, as those words escaped from Lu Han’s mouth, sudden noises in succession were heard outside of the window. Daehyun made his way to the glass, looking outward.

“Lu Han,” he stated slowly, uncertainly, “…They’re coming from your room – the jewelry I mean.”

The three boys stood together, side by side, watching valuable items fall from the sky. With each item that fell, emotions burst through Lu Han. He knew that this had to be the work of none other than Miyoung.

“What is she doing?” he muttered, taking a step backwards, “…Those are my favorite watches. Stay here. I’m going to figure out what’s going on.”

Watching Lu Han rush up the stairs, Daehyun and Sehun just smiled knowingly at each other. The two of them hoped, with all their hearts, that Miyoung would bring back the Lu Han that she had changed him into – one that could finally learn to trust other beings.

As Lu Han made his way closer to his room, he couldn’t help but find his mind filled with everything about the girl that had captured his interest. Each word she had said, the smile on her face, he could not forget about any of it. What had she done to him?

“Are you stupid? Can’t you see anything beside money? It does not solve everything!”

Such a hypocrite she was. Everything she said about having money, she had contradicted herself through her actions. Didn’t she get close to him because of money? He couldn’t wrap his mind around it, but even so, he couldn’t deny he had a hard time hating her.

“Aren’t you the same as the people you hate, then? Money, it can’t possibly be the most important thing to you, right?”

All of the things she had said to him and every gesture she made towards him were heavily imprinted in his heart. She had once asked him what the most important thing to him was, and as he ran up the stairs breathlessly, he finally realized what it was.

He couldn’t lose her.

He wouldn't lose her.