01 Purpose

Bittersweet Capture

Her eyes glazed over the scenery in front of her: A huge mansion sprinkled with shimmers here and there, a row of butlers and maids standing in two perfectly formed rows, and the dark limousine she had arrived in. If she had been an onlooker, then this situation would seem like it was too good to be true.

“Miss Miyoung,” a man had come up to her, dressed in a tidy suit from head to toe, “Welcome to the family.”

She took one step towards the butler, twirling her umbrella that was keeping the sunlight from coming in contact with her fair skin, “Pleased to meet you.”

Miyoung glowed with confidence in herself and a smile was plastered upon her face. She walked with poise, revealing her respectable manners. With each step taken, she knew that this moment was finally coming; the moment she had been waiting for all her life.

“Please allow me to introduce you to the young master.”

Her body stiffened unnoticeably as the butler gestured her towards the mansion swiftly after she gave him a slight nod. She was still unsure if she was ready to meet him yet.

Would he recognize her?

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” a loud, angry voice came echoing down the stairs as she stepped into the mansion, “Which one is it this time? Is it the 82nd, 35th, or perhaps, the last one, the 99th?”

Loud footsteps were heard before three tall boys stepped into view; each one more attractive than the next. The last one that came into her line of sight, the young master, made her heart tighten with unrecognizable emotion.

Lu Han, we finally meet.

“Young master Lu Han,” the butler began to introduce, “The president, your father, has found you a new marriage – ”

“…What the hell is this?” was Lu Han’s immediate reply, blunt as ever and harsh as always, “What do you want? Money? Just take it and leave.”

From his pocket, the boy drew up a stack of paper bills, harshly throwing it at her. The money fluttered down around Miyoung, almost as if it was raining. A blank expression stayed upon her face as she took a deep breath.

He hadn’t changed at all.

Miyoung’s family had met an obstacle in the business world which caused her father to fall into debt. Fortunately, a marriage offer came from Lu Han’s father, one of the richest men in South Korea.

He had figured that if her family was in desperate need for money, then he would be able to secure this wedding without a doubt; Lu Han had been chasing away all the fiancées his father had arranged for him, all 99 of them.

His father’s health had begun deteriorating, and he insisted on having grandchildren before he went. As a result, he was looking for a marriage partner who would be able to withstand his son’s strange personality and temper – Miyoung, his new target.

She agreed to the proposal on the condition of meeting him for a week or two to see how he was like. Of course, Lu Han’s father agreed to the simple condition with strong beliefs that Miyoung would never refuse Lu Han due to her family’s situation and their dire need for money.

But, Lu Han’s father had miscalculated one thing – Miyoung was not here for the money.

“Lu Han!” one of the boy’s friend, Daehyun, sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose in shame, “Calm down!”

“…and there goes your image,” the other friend of Lu Han, Sehun, shook his head, “Well, what’s left of your image at least.”

Her head lowered a bit before a dark expression was casted upon her face, the plastered smile dissipating. Her hand slowly reached for the paper money that had fallen on her shoulder, and when she felt it, she crushed mercilessly.

“Don’t joke with me!” her glares sent chills down Lu Han’s spine after she took the crushed money and threw it the boy, “How can someone be so horrible? Ever since I went to the same high school as you, I’ve always, always hated you!”

Yes, that’s right.

Miyoung was here to get her revenge on her potential fiancé within the one or two weeks she was supposed to stay at the mansion.