Everything has a beginning

[On Hiatus] Scent

0004

 

If Yongguk was told to describe himself using just a few words, creep wouldn't be one of them, at least not until recently. But he was surely feeling quite like one right now, it was one of the many nights in which instead of sleep, he would sneak in the room next to his and just watch the teenager rest. It was odd... this recharged him better than sleep had in the past decades, just sitting in the comfortable armchair, listening to the boy's heartbeat and just watching his chest rise and fall..

 

During some of the nights Junhong would have nightmares, it was obvious by the way he twisted slightly and his face turned into a frown. In those nights Yongguk wanted nothing more than to take the boy in his arms and chase the bad dreams away. Of course he knew he couldn't do that..

 

This night however, was different. Tomorrow he won't be able to sit around in his office, pretending to do work while he would just focus on Junhong's presence in the house, he wouldn't be able to keep an eye on him through the day because tomorrow the youngest was going to school with Youngjae. Yongguk was so tempted to go back on his word and just keep him there but that would be selfish and that was one thing the old werewolf was surely not.

 

~ * ~

 

Breakfast in their house was a happy affair... this morning was no different with the exception of the gloomy cloud looming above Yongguk's head. Junhong had noticed it and he wasn't sure how to react. The alpha had been nothing but kind to him, something the boy couldn't remember anyone else being and he had moments when he truly questioned the nature of his thoughts. There was something about Yongguk that made him want to stay close to him. Of course all the members of the pack were like this, nice and kind.

 

".. and after we can go to the cinema and watch Thor!"

 

Junhong's eyes snapped to Youngjae as the young werewolf finished his sentence and just stood there grinning, obviously happy with his plans. The boy's eyes didn't miss the way Yongguk's jaw tightened and his eyebrows lowered a bit, not quite a frown but very different from his usual look.

 

"Actually hyung... I'd rather we come home straight after if you don't mind. It's the first day and I'm sure it will be tiring"

 

Yongguk's gaze shifted and Junhong could feel he was being watched. His skin almost burned and he didn't know he did the right thing but Youngjae just pouted slightly, giving himself a quite funny look considering his lower lip was thick enough anyway, but nodded anyway.

 

"I'll drive you" said the alpha as he slid his full plate forward. He didn't miss the nasty look Himchan sent his way but Junhong did.

 

To the young boy's surprise he was led to the car which they had that night, when they first met. It brought back unpleasant memories but also questions which didn't cease to give Junhong peace. Why didn't Yongguk kill him? Junhong might not remember his life but he did remember the general knowledge he posessed quite well. He knew what year it was, he knew who was president, he knew supernatural existed and sure enough he did know stuff about werewolves as well. If he was in a clan war that night, in plain battle then there would've been nothing stopping Yongguk from killing him but the elder just stood there and watched.

 

Yongguk was quite an enigma.

 

The car parked in front of a beautiful building and Yongguk turned to watch the two boys in the back.

 

"Don't be late. Call me if anything happens" he said and even though he was looking at Youngjae, Junhong knew the words were meant for him as well.

 

Both of them nodded and got out of the car. The younger followed the blonde werewolf to the main building and couldn't help but glance back. The car was still parked and even though he couldn't see through the tinted windows he knew Yongguk was watching them.

 

"Come on Junhong-ah, let's go get your schedule"

 

By the time lunch break came, Junhong was sure of one thing about himself, he did not like school, at all. Everything seemed to be dull and boring, throughout the day he had many of those annoying moments when you hear something and you know you've heard it before but can't place the moment or what would happen next. It was like a broken dream.

 

Youngjae glanced at the boy in front of him. He seemed so young, but in their world looks were decieving, so who was to say the boy wasn't actually older than him? The werewolf inwardly snorted at the idea, it was plain ridiculous.

 

"Can we eat outside hyung?"

The blonde snapped out of his thoughts and merely nodded before leading his new friend to the courtyard.

 

"I feel better here, outside" muttered Junhong as he sat down on the grass, not bothering himself with the dirt he may get on his clothes, and leaned against a tree.

 

"Me too but I've grown used to being indoors"

 

It wasn't a secret that werewolves loved being connected to nature, they liked camping and spending as much time as possible outside, far from busy city streets and concrete buildings.

 

"Hyung... do you mind me asking something personal?"

 

Youngjae felt conflicted for a moment but ended up shaking his head and allowing the teen to speak.

 

"You can not answer, I wouldn't mind but I'm really curious of how you and Daehyun hyung met. It isn't common for vampires and werewolves to mix"

 

The werewolf stood frozen for minutes just staring at the other boy's pale face. Junhong figured he wasn't going to get an answer when Youngjae tilted his head back and stared at the clear, blue sky.

 

"It was ... scary"

 

Junhong's eyes widened and stayed fixed on the blonde's slim figure. He hadn't moved but he spoke softly, voice cracking slightly...

 

Decadence, a word best suited for the mid nineteen century. People slowly stepping over the formality and frivolity of the past centuries, stepping away from the dogmatic catholic belief, from people telling you this life was the torture you had to suffer to go to heaven above. It was the time when people began living seeking thrill and pleasure, comfort and wealth.

 

The world of the immortals was no different, they thought that they were well above humans but always kept close, sometimes too close. In the centuries past the rumors about blood ers and terrible beasts, witches who could turn you into a frog and the living dead were stories past down from unfortunate incidents but now... now you'd have a Duke living nextdoor with a vampire clan, a pack of wolves so close to a prince's estate that hunting accidents happened more often than never.

 

If the human world was in a fast paced process of evolvement, the immortals were in chaos.

 

A little north from Paris was a building so beautiful people often wanted to stop by and just admire the place. Amazing architecture, huge gardens and art work worth more than a few colonies. Everyone who had the chance to stop and visit found the place to be delightful. They never got to meet the owners, it seemed as they took often trips around the country so sadly no one could come face to face with the rather large family.

 

They didn't know that the trips were just more into the woods, that the savage animals who happened to attack travellers now and then weren't pure animal. One word could describe the family without any trouble: arrogant. They knew a lot of immortals knew their residence but they couldn't be bothered to care, they were powerful, who would dare to come ask for a fight?

 

The large dining room was full, almost 20 people in the chamber when a beautiful tanned woman entered through the open wooden door.

 

"Is it true?" she demanded grinding her teeth together visibly. Some of the people in the room almost flinched, others merely grimaced.

 

"It is, obvious insult brought to the packs around the world" answered the man sitting at the end of the table, his dark eyes shining in the amber light of the tens of candles lit.

 

"You are not thinking of acceping this are you Lee?" she asked staring straight in her mate's eyes.

 

"They've asked us to go to the negotiations, we cannot deny the High Council"

 

The alpha's mate spit on the expensive carpet "I refuse to bow to the damned"

 

Just hours before a message was broadcasted to a multitude of immortal communities, a call for the making of a pact. The dark times they all went through didn't need to be darkened with the blood spilled between each other.

 

Lee's pack was at the top of the werewolf line. One of the three still alive who's blood flowed from ancient times. Lee himself was a few hundred years old. His pack was formed from skilled wolves, almost 40 of them.

 

The meeting place set by the High Council was in a desert, far in the heart of Asia and it took the pack weeks to get there.

 

It's no secret to anyone that immortal species cannot stand each other, some had small pacts made under the table but they weren't all formal. Vampires hated witches, witches hated fairies, fairies hated shifters... it was a huge circle of hate. They all thought they were superior, better, so even when they had a common goal such as survival, they weren't keen on collaborating.

 

The only member of the pack who was happy to be there was Youngjae. In his almost 30 years of life he had never seen any of the bigger races of immortals. His family kept him shielded from everything, in their eyes he was weak, a liability.

 

The young wolf looked around, fascinated by the colors and the atmosphere, it was heavy but filled with something. His eyes nearly doubled in size when a beautiful woman, barely dressed considering the green satin material she wore could barely be called a dress, looked straight at him and winked. She waved slightly and he stood awkwardly at his aunt's side, unsure how to react.

 

To the young one's dismay he had been kept locked in the improvised tent the pack made, he wasn't allowed out but from time to time, when the wolf assigned to keep an eye on him got too bored and either drifted into a cautious sleep or left the tent to stretch, he dared to glance out through slight cracks.

 

He learned that Witches were pretty but mean even to each other, that the males of the kind, the wizards, tended to be gloomy and lacked social skills (Youngjae could recognize one of his kind in that aspect) and he also learned that vampires were like statues. Pale, almost expressionless, the exact opposite from the mostly tanned werewolves, wolves who loved to show their emotions on their faces (granted usually it was anger or disgust in this situation).

 

It was towards the end of the meetings, when his father had gotten so upset that his cruelty to his own son had reached a new high, when Youngjae got out of the tent again. He had taken care of his wounds himself, patching them up the best he could but still he realized it was not enough when they entered a tent full of vampires, vampires which immediately turned to stare at him. The alpha growled loudly and no one in the room moved.

 

Youngjae watched with surprise as his father put his hand in one of the pots on the table, emerging from there deep red and laid it on the parchment in front of him. One of the vampires from beyond the table stepped forward and did the same. Youngjae thought he was beautiful. Normally werewolves were beautiful in an exotic sense but the vampire looked as if he was royal.

 

One of the elders in the room, a man who looked way above his fifties in age and whom the young werewoulf couldn't identify as species, nodded slightly "Your heirs need to sign as well"

 

Youngjae watched as another vampire stepped forward. His walk was heavier, unlike the previous man's but the wolf couldn't focus on him because something simply took control of him. It was as if someone else was making him move because his head moved to the left to an almost painful angle and his eyes locked with another pair of warm chocolate ones. It was as if a fire started inside of him, all around him disappeared, the table, the tent, the vampires, the werewolves... but when he sprinted forward, by pure instinct, all hell broke free.

 

Junhong's wide eyes and slacked jaw made Youngjae giggle.

 

"So you met him at peace meetings and you caused it to fail?"

 

Youngjae laughed freely before answering "Not really, I still signed it and the treaty's running even today but my reaction back then caused us a hell lot of trouble. If I was a bit more subtle..."

 

The wolf didn't finish his sentence, just turned to look at the street and pouted.

 

"Himchan hyung is here, let's go"

 

They reached the house fast but maybe it was because Junhong couldn't focus on anything besides the story. His eyes followed the small werewolf as he jumped in his mate's arms as soon as they stepped in the living room and both their smiles caused Junhong to grin as well.

 

 

_____________

I can't believe I'm actually updating. I feel like a freaking turtle, actually a turtle could probably update faster! T_T So sorry for taking forever guys. This month is always pretty insane in my life, everything piles up and requires my attention. I hope I can update faster as soon as this week ends. That marks school end for the year and I can focus on writing (hopefully).

There might be spelling mistakes in the chapter which I will fix if I notice them later.

Thank you guys for sticking with me <3 Hope you enjoyed the chapter~