Chapter Sixteen

Awake My Soul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

August 13, 2011

“Well,” The man in a slick, black tuxedo scoffs. “You look…” Sehun continues, probing through his humming cerebrum for words so as to describe the woman who stood before her. How long has it been since he last saw her like this? She scintillated while he helplessly stood in awe. Wearing a gold evening gown long enough to trail behind her, Hyunsu chomped on her lips anxious and agitated. Her hair is in a low bun that hovered over her nape, strands tickling her own skin. With nothing but an Isadora Diamond and a pair of white heels to finish her look, she seemed very opulent and perfectly posh. When the man realizes that he has been staring at her for a while, he clears his throat. “You sure clean up well.” Nonchalantly patting her shoulder afterwards, deliberately ignoring the faint tug on his rock-hard heartstrings.

“T-thanks.”

“That necklace—”

Putting a hand over the exquisite, bright yellow accessory, Hyunsu smiles dotingly. “Jongin bought it for me when he toured Europe with his ballet company.”  She fondly narrates, her gaze afar.

“Isadora?”

Quickly, she shoots Sehun a look, blinking twice. “Wait, how did you—”

“I suggested it. He phoned me then, sounding really troubled. If I remember correctly, it was even two in the morning and I couldn’t stop cussing at him for waking me up. He kept prattling on about a forgotten anniversary gift et cetera, et cetera.” He chuckles at the memory. “That bastard’s pretty hopeless. At times.” His voice quiets, seeing as he let another fragment of himself loose. “Shall we?” He begins again, opening the door to his pristine, black BMW 740D 2011 Series.

Caught off guard, Hyunsu tucks her clutch bag to herself as she helps herself in. While Sehun started the engine, she looks up and sees her brother by the window. Luhan sees her from down below and spares a smile despite the prominent pain in his chest, his love for his sister and his love for Sehun ruthlessly tearing him asunder. Watching the car drive away, he begins to cry. Bitterly at that, confusion taking over him. Should he be happy for his sister? Or should he mourn for his loss? Just as the tears streamed down his gleaming, moist cheeks, the doorbell rings. For a moment, he blankly stares ahead, letting the very sound reverberate through the empty loft. Ineptly after processing that someone is indeed at the door, he wipes his tears away and walks toward the intercom, clearing his throat.

“Hello?” Luhan begins, clicking it to activate the projector so as to see who it was.

“Uhh, yes! Good evening, this is Kim Minseok.” Says the man over the other line, shrouded with heavy jackets, loose pants, growing bristles and deep lines.

“Ah, detective!” Sniveling his tears away with a polite smile. “It’s been a while, come right in.”

Then buzz! goes the intercom, the door propping open with a click!

*

“Y-you’ve caught them?” Luhan says, placing a t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter