►TWO

Taste of a Ballad

 

AFTER SCHOOL ENGLISH CLASS was only for top 15 English students to get the best result in order to represent the school. None of Yoona and Luhan’s close friend was there, just them sitting next to each other. The class was finished a minute ago and Luhan glanced at his watch. It was 6 o’clock.

“I will accompany you to your house.” he softly spoken but not looking at her instead staring at the already closed book. A sweet smile appeared on Yoona’s face followed by a nod “Thank you.”

The sky was quite dark and not many people are on the street. As they walk along the road together, the silent build up. Their gazes just couldn’t' meet up and slide rapidly away from each other. They couldn’t think of any words to say although they are not that strange to each other.

“So, Do you want to eat ice cream?” he offered sincerely and broke the silence. And Yoona replied playfully “If you treat me.” Smiles brighten up both of their faces, leaving off the awkward atmosphere.

“Ok just sit at that bench and wait. I will quickly go and buy.” She nodded in agreement.

When he comes back with two ice cream cones in his hands, they sat down on the bench and ate the ice cream together.

“I saw you and Kai last Sunday in front of a supermarket.” he started.

“Arrrr really!! But you didn’t greet us.” she pouted cutely.

“Cause I didn’t want to disturb you two.”

Her eyes widen in what she just heard. WHAT??? Did he think that we were dating? Or is he being jealous? Actually my mum was also with us but she was inside the shop. May be he didn’t see my mum. Few thoughts flew in her mind.

“Kai and I met accidently in front of that shop.” she tried to explain. His head was down and just looking at the ice cream in his hand. “I heard that Kai likes you” he smiles. But she knew it was a fake smile.

“Yeah I know. But I don’t like him” she hurriedly deny. Finishing off the ice cream, “It’s getting late. Let’s go now” she stood up and Luhan followed after. They walked until near her house “Have a nice dream.” He said with a smile on his face.

“You too.” Yoona replied with her soft voice while waving at him and then she went inside the house leaving him alone in the dark.

 

She rushed into her room, threw her school bag away and jumped on to her bed. WHAT!  ‘I heard that Kai likes you.’ is that what you wanted to say to me? What wrong with you Luhan. Just be honest with your feeling. I know that you like me. But… why can’t you just say? What is stopping you? I don’t CARE about anything. WHY? WHY? WHY CAN'T YOU JUST SAY IT? The thoughts yelled inside her head. Then she grabbed the diary and pen under her pillow and wrote in silent for 3mins.

 

“Yoona-ah let eat our dinner” her mum called her from down stair. “I am coming” she replied, hurriedly run to the dining room.

“Stop eating like that” scolded her mum, because of the sound that can be heard while she was eating. “Sorry I forgot” She apologised. In fact Yoona is really afraid of my mum. Her dad left her mum since she was pregnant of her although she still doesn’t know the reason why and her mum never tended to tell her. However, she loved her mum so much, as much as she loved her dad and desired to meet him at least once in her life. “Ok mum, I finished. I am going to do my homework now.” As her mum nodded she left the dining room and went up stair.

 

Once she got into her room, she opened the windows just to let some fresh air in. But in a glance, unexpectedly she end up seeing Luhan was there, standing under a street light on the left hand side of her house. Standing and gazing at her room. Since the house was at the corner and on the left hand side was a street, she can clearly see the street from her room. She wondered what he was doing there. Their eyes met. It seems like he wants to talk to me. But why didn’t he just text? Is he standing there since I came inside? Answerless questions were thrown into her mind. Her speedy fingers dialled his number but he didn’t manage to answer. Why is he just staring at me? She was so confused; her mind was full of questions. WHY?   

Without making a second delay she immediately brought herself down to the stair and walked to the door way as fast as she could. Her mum prevented her act just before she opened the main door and questioned “Where are you going?”   

“No Where! Just to the front-yard” she replied, acting just like nothing was happening. Her undetectable expression managed to make her mum way back to the kitchen. And quickly she dashed to him.

“Luhan, What are you doing here?” No answers were replied. She shook his arm and louder her voice “Luhan! Are you all right?” this time he responded calmly “Yoona-uh I miss you so much.”

She looked at him for a moment, then uncontrollably burst into laughter and slapped his arm. “What? Are you mad? We just met a while ago and how can you…” Without giving a chance to finish her sentence, he cut in “Yoona-uh! Can you give me a hug?” he opened up his arms just like he was ready to receive a hug from her.

Her heart was beating; BEATING as if it is going to explore soon. Why he is doing that? Why is he suddenly acting like that?  She couldn’t believe herself. Her mind was literally frozen for a minute. All she could do was a blink and went closer to him. Finally, now she was in his arms. He tightly wrapped his arms around her yet gentle, typically expressing the affection.

Her eyes closed; feeling safe and comfortable. They both stay still for a couple of minutes. He couldn’t let her go. To get out from his arm was so challenging for her. Am I enjoying it? She asked herself in her mind. No I can’t stay any longer. We will be in trouble if mum come out.

So she gently pushed him away. “I gotta go now.” couldn’t look directly in the eyes.

“I am sorry, I don’t know what is wrong with me today.” he uttered shyly.

“Bye now. Good night” without attempting another glance she ran into her house.

That night surely would be a sleepless night for both of them.

***