CAPTURE.

Pull

Minhyuk doesn’t do things by half measures - he doesn’t know the meaning of the word ‘half-assed’. Whatever it may be, he throws himself into it. One such example of this was photography. A passion passed down through his family; he loves photography in all it’s forms. Minhyuk owns hundred of varying cameras, whether they be retro or modern. Minhyuk has done it all in some way. Some nights, he turns his pokey bathroom into a darkroom and Eunkwang gets pissed because he always forgets to take the red bulb out.

 

So Minhyuk’s got his trusty camera hanging around his neck when Eunkwang drags him to the coffeè shop to stalk that barista. His friend saunters up to the counter with confidence, seeking out his target whilst Minhyuk follows, giving the cafè a once over. It’s a pleasant little space. As he’s looking around, he spots someone drinking coffeè or something alone, a guitar case propped up on the wall near him. Minhyuk does a double take, Eunkwang’s lame chat up lines become white noise behind him. There, sat serenely is the busker guy from the other day! His fingers reach up to trace the lines of his camera. He’s never wanted to take a photo so badly. He can’t though, it would be weird and rude. Suddenly, Eunkwang places a hand on his shoulder, breaking him out of his trance, holding a cappuccino to him.

 

“I’m not getting anywhere. I must be barking up the wrong tree,” his friend sighs as they walk out of the cafè. Minhyuk tries not to but his eyes keep landing on the busker practically every second. The busker however is oblivious as he scrawls things down in a small A5 notebook. Minhyuk silently sighs and mourns the loss of not only a good photo, but a good opportunity.


 

But fate has other plans for them. As Eunkwang keeps trying his luck on the barista, the busker is there every time they visit. Minhyuk isn’t sure how to approach him though. It’s not like he can just go up to him and say ‘hi’. And he can’t exactly flirt hopelessly over a counter with him like Eunkwang. So, for a while, Minhyuk just watches from afar; watches as he writes, sips on his coffeè and flicks his hair out of his eyes.

 

Minhyuk isn’t sure why he’s so fascinated by the musician. But he is. He doesn’t know to describe it. Minhyuk is simply drawn to him, like a magnet, like it’s in his nature. But… He doesn’t even know the guy’s name! Now he feels depressed again.

 

He’s walking home after staying behind at uni when he passes Mr. Busker. He’s surprised he’s playing so late, but nevertheless, there’s a few people stood around him, listening to his magic. As soon as he hears the strummed melody, his legs have already led him halfway there. The notes flow deep into his chest making him feel heavy and light at the same time. As the notes are being pulled from the strings, he looks up, meeting Minhyuk’s eyes in an instant. It’s like he knows. He starts to sing, soft and full of passion. Minhyuk wants his camera - where is his camera?! Nonono, he has to have his a camera, he needs a camera! But he can’t find one in his backpack, only books and paper. He can't let this moment go by uncaptured, so he takes out his phone. It might not be the posh camera he should have on him, but it’ll do.

 

He tries to get a good angle, so the city lights illuminate the musician, giving it an enchanted feeling. It earns him some weird looks but Minhyuk’s long since grown used to them. The musician himself watches with amusement and focuses on playing the song. Minhyuk mentally congratulates him, he’s taking it better than other people would.

 

The song ends with a final, charming but haunting strum. The sparse audience leave him a few tips, not failing to give Minhyuk a judging glance as they leave. He’s looking through his photos and footage (he couldn’t resist the urge to video him) when:

 

“I could sue you, you know.” It’s not just joking tone that surprises Minhyuk, it’s the fact he’s talking at all.

 

In his stunned state, all he can manage is ‘um, why?’

 

“Improper use of my content without my permission or something, I don’t know.” He chuckles and it’s warm like chocolate and melodic like his singing. “Don’t worry, I’m not going to sue you.”

 

Minhyuk somehow manages to recover himself, “Oh good cuz’ I’m a bit a poor at the moment.”

 

They share a laugh and for some reason, Minhyuk’s shaking. Which is weird because he usually gets like this when -

 

A gloved hand is presented to him for a shake. Minhyuk sputters for a bit before reciprocating the handshake.

 

“I’m Hyunsik,” he smiles all teeth and no eyes. He’s so endearing and friendly.

 

How cute…

 

“Minhyuk,” he grins back.

 

 


 

 

Sunyong calls him up out of nowhere. It’s awkward at first, full of forced pleasantries until the inescapable subject crops up. He lets her breach it first as he sits on the edge of his bed. His ‘day off’ thoroughly interrupted. He runs a hand through his untamed mop of brunette hair with a frustrated sigh.

 

“I just think, maybe I was too hasty.”

 

Minhyuk scoffs, bites his tongue and lets her continue.

 

“You see, I realise now… What we had. I - I miss you and… And I want to give it another go.” He falls back onto the bed. All he wants to do is hang up, but he can’t. He watches the rain water make droplets run down his window, blurring the vista of the city at twilight. Is he singing in this weather?

 

“Sunyong-ah, I gave you a chance and I gave it my all but you didn’t give anything back. All you did was make me feel bad and horrible and I can’t see a future together.” he takes a breath, finding that he’s quivering. “I’m sorry but… that’s how I feel, I can’t change that.” She stutters on the other end.

 

“What if… What if we meet up and - and you see how you feel then?”

 

Minhyuk doesn’t need to see her, he can see her clearly in his mind. Long dark curling hair, cute round features and plump lips. It hurts. It hurts to know how much he loved her, and it hurts to know how much she didn’t love him back. He covers his face with his arm.

 

“I don’t think it would change anything b-” He was about to call her ‘baby’ - just like he used to. The ‘unword’ burns on his tongue, just another factor to the pain.

 

“But Minhyuk! Please!”

 

It’s only because she’s lonely.

 

“Go and find someone you truly love and be happy, okay?”

 

There’s a pause and lots of sniffing. “Okay, Minhyuk. Okay.”

 

And then it’s truly over. He’s on his own. His phone slides out of grip and softly lands on his bed. His arm falls off his face, suddenly heavy. He might be crying, but it’s okay.

 

It’s okay, right?

 

Faintly, he can hear the strumming of a guitar.