Present

To hear your voice

Melancholy. —Present

 

The man stood outside his music school, remaining as emotionless as ever. It was a good thing, that no one mentioned her name anymore. If he even heard the simple word, he could break.

            He was simply passing by, wanting to check the place out when he passed by a few practice rooms. The walls facing the outside world were made of glass, and he didn’t use the phrase ‘outside world’ for nothing. With all the players’ different expressions as they let the notes flow out, it was a totally different world inside and outside. The girl sitting at the piano though, captured his attention. Her brown hair was let down but her fringe was pinned up so as to not obstruct her vision and he unconsciously let out a smile.

The man put his hands on the glass, closing his eyes and letting the warm breeze mess his hair up, like how she used to for the fun of it. He used to ignore her, and then swat her hand away but she was clingy and stubborn; she wouldn’t give up unless his hair was already messed up.

            “July 19th, 2012. It’s freaking hot here…” The sound of the girl’s laughter was music to his ears, a peaceful melody that he would never be able to play on his violin. Her eyes were like stars in the night sky, but he prayed that unlike stars, her eyes would forever be this bright. “We’re going to the hospital later for a checkup, but I know it’ll be nothing good.” Her words were slightly surprising, but over the past few months he’d known a lot more about the girl. Maybe, he thought, he understood her more than she understood herself.

“Bye hyung.” The man waved, still leaning against the glass and the man who looked like he’d never laugh ran over, throwing his arm around his shoulders. “You should get some deodorant. You stink.” The man pulled his mask down to speak clearly, but quickly put it on again when the taller man laughed and waved his arm about as if to stink him to death.

            Her lips moved about, forming words and he understood them, though nothing really registered. All he knew was that the girl needed time and that was exactly what he would give her. Yet, her pink shivering lips were too inviting and as he leaned in to claim his prize, he knew she’d given in.

The two were silent after a while, the shorter simply closing his eyes and enjoying the hot wind while the taller stared daggers at him.

“What?” He snapped, opening his eyes and the man sighed.

“It’s coming.” Yongguk looked right into his eyes, and the man sighed before looking away.

            “I- I’m losing my hearing.” She’d always been a playful girl, taking risks everywhere she went and he’d almost expected her to kid him. But he never knew such a bomb was awaiting him. She bit on her lips, seemingly guilty but he didn’t know what she was sorry for. If anything, he was the one feeling sorry. “I’m sorry. I love y—no, even if I share the same feelings, I wouldn’t be able to accept yours.” Her slip of words gave him the opening, and all of a sudden he was hopeful again.

“I’m fine. Really.”

 

The store was located quite a distance away from the music school, and he somehow knew she would have ever gone there.

            “Three pink roses, please.” The man smiled, pointing at the flowers on display and the woman moved to the back, getting fresh ones and the boy watched, as he played with his ring. He was engaged. The boy wondered why he would buy pink ones instead of the usual red ones, and apparently the man had received his query via telepathy. “Pale pink roses stand for joy and grace, and red stands for love. Dark pink is for thankfulness. Buying roses for your girlfriend?” He grinned, the joy practically radiating and the boy blushed softly, thankful that he was wearing his mask.

“Chrysanthemum.” The man hadn’t expected to be able to say that one word so easily, yet he needed those. Taking a glance at the other flowers on display, he decided that it wasn’t enough. “And one rose—the darkest red you have. Thanks.”

            “What’s that behind you?” The girl was bouncing on her feet as usual, and he hoped she liked it. He really did. Bringing one hand out, he showed her the thorn-less dark pink rose and took his mask off with the other. “Thank you, for entering my life.” He had no idea he would be that nervous saying the simple words, but the fear of rejection was something great indeed. Her grin though, lit up his whole world and she happily smelled the elegant flower. “I bought one, because you would probably scold me for wasting my money if I bought any more.” “Good boy!”

The way to his destination, physically, wasn’t half as draining as mentally. Every step he took was a small cut to his heart, and he closed his eyes. He felt tempted to simply succumb to the pain and fall on the path, but he wouldn’t. If she were beside him, she would’ve grinned and pinched his cheeks to cheer him up.

            “Boyfriend, if one day, I can no longer hear you, will you still stay with me?” The girl looked right into his eyes as she said the simple words, and he nodded his head without missing a beat. Of course he would. After all, he was the one who’d brought her into this relationship. She’d given in to his demands, and he was glad for that.

Taking the recorder out of his pocket, he sat down and sighed. It had been so long.

“Sometimes, we’re both quiet, but the sound of the world remains, ever so beautiful.” There was a pause, and the man smiled at the sound of her voice. “People listen to so many different sounds, yet don’t even notice it. I guess it’s true. You don’t know what you have, until you’ve lost it.” He supposed it was true too. He’d learnt a lot because of her, and now that she no longer stood beside him he would always remember them. “Sound is the most wonderful thing. Ever. I don’t want to lose the luxury of listening to things happening around me. I want to record down every single one down, to remember them, lest I forget.” He hadn’t noticed his eyes heating up, until the sting became unbearable. Finally, the tears flowed out and it was like water flowing out of a broken dam—uncontrollable.

            “Hyung, what are you doing here?” The hands covering his eyes were soft and delicate, though the fingertips were hard from playing instruments. The voice that traveled to his ears was gentle, yet ecstatic and he couldn’t help but laugh. If she was trying to make him laugh, then the girl was doing it right. “I know it’s you, alright? Here, I got you some milk tea.” He showed the girl the drinks and immediately her attention was diverted. Her eyes were bright, going wide like saucers and when she jumped to reach the drinks, he laughed while taunting her about her height.

The recorder was back by his ear, and the tears that he wiped off returned again. “Having him is like having the Sun beside me. Jung Daehyun, I love you. The sound of your voice—that’s what I least want to lose. I don’t ever want to forget your voice.”

The man leaned against the tombstone, deciding that he had to come back and clean the place up soon. Some grass had grown, and he wondered if the girl would prefer having the grass keep her company. After all, she’d always liked nature.

 

‘Dania Oh, 19.09.1993 - 04.08.2012.’

 

“Dan, I miss you. I’m sorry for not coming often but… I guess I can’t bring myself to.” Daehyun willed himself to be strong; to keep the tears in but it was so hard.

In the end, he gave up and let his tears win the battle.

 

-----------

BOOM! Plot twist~ but actually it's not so much of one, if you think about it. The 'Present' chaps have been kinda off, haven't they?