5

To hear your voice

5—Reckless rendezvous

 

It was quiet for a while. The girl listened to the rain hitting the top of the shelter, the rain pouring down as though even the rain God wished to wash away her worries. Unable to stop herself, she stared at his beautiful features and smiled wistfully, hoping for him to open those pinkish lips and one day sing for her. The drop of water at his hair slowly slid off his smooth strand of blonde hair, before finally dripping off and landing on his already soaked shirt.

By now, she was doing everything to not look into his eyes and as her hands shook, his warm ones covered hers.

But she couldn’t run away. She had to settle it, this very moment.

“Daehyun, I’m sorry. I love y—no, even if I share the same feelings, I wouldn’t be able to accept yours. I—” The grip on her hand suddenly tightened, as he leaned in to catch her lips with his. The absurdity of the situation first set in, then the hunger and as both remained still she felt the cold wall against the back of her hand and gasped ever so subtly, ever so softly. Hunger finally set in, as both nipped at each other’s soft lips with such ferocity that it felt desperate.

His lips left hers, not before making the light sound of him pecking her nose, as his lips ghosted over hers. ‘I love you, Dan.’ He pecked softly and smiled. ‘I really do.’ The sweet taste of his lips lingered on hers, and she ran a tongue over them, nervous again. The rain splashed in, but she was too soaked to be bothered and finally, she gave in.

‘I love you too.’ And with that, she pulled her hands away from his and ran her fingers through his hair.

 

“July 19th, 2012. It’s freaking hot here, especially with Daehyun beside me.” The girl laughed, looking at the smiling eyes of the boy before resuming with the recording. Her head was on his lap, and as he stared at the train track above them, she closed her eyes and tried to remember the sound of crickets chirping, of the wind blowing softly and the grass dancing about in the wind. “We’re going to the hospital later for a checkup, but I know it’ll be nothing good.” She slowed down as she spoke, and the boy suddenly lowered his head, locking gazes with her.

“No, it might be something good.” Dan always thought she was quite an optimistic girl, but there were times where she couldn’t smile naturally too. At times like those, Daehyun was her pillar. And she was glad for it. As the boy took his mask off, he smiled and that was it. She loved that smile, and she scooted over to throw her arms around his waist awkwardly.

 

The girl walked out of the hospital doors, seemingly stunned as she bowed to a doctor that walked by. In her arms was a brown envelope, and she hugged it close, as though she’d lose her life without it. Which, maybe, was true. She tried to smile, to show that she was fine but really, she wasn’t. The desperation she felt pulling at the ends of her hair was killing her. The wind, as though having felt her arrival, changed from a cheerful whistle to angry groans and she closed her eyes, letting herself absorb them. She didn’t want to ever lose these sounds.

A hand was on her head, sudden yet calming and she looked up, meeting Daehyun’s eyes. His eyes seemed to question if she was fine, rather than the results, and she was thankful that he knew she couldn’t tell him immediately. Putting her forehead against his shoulder, she let herself melt in his embrace and tried to take her mind off the appointment just now. The time spent with him had been the greatest times of her life. She loved him. She loved the warm arms around her, his sharp chin buried in her hair, the soft beating of his heart, and the soft patting of his hands.

“Thanks. Let’s go!” Grabbing his hand, she took his mask off and wore it herself, raising both their hands and pointing to the direction where they’d agreed on going after the appointment.

She had less than two months of her hearing left.

 

She wasn’t a good singer, and she knew it.

The boy before her was practically an idol, with his singing and small dances and she laughed, clapping along with the trot song. When he sang such a song, she wondered if he was a boy with an old man’s heart and grinned, cheering when the song ended and he grinned too, the simple expression brightening all his features.

“It’s your turn.” As he passed the microphone to Dan, she swallowed and checked that her recording was still going on before giving him an awkward grimace-smile.

“Be ready to go—” She froze, the words stuck in . Don’t ruin the mood. “Be ready to puke blood, boy.”

 

The clouds would have seemed ominous to anyone, but Dan. To her, it meant rain and she loved rain. She loved the sound of water droplets marking the ground as theirs though only temporarily, how the sound of thunder made her jump. Judging from the smile playing on the boy’s lips, he did too. She remembered the first time they met, and when he took his mask off to let the raindrops meet his face. Maybe, she thought, that was when something truly connected to him.

She turned her head, looking at the man’s closed eyelids, the smooth curves of his pretty yet masculine face and smiled. They were lying on the grass, and if she put her arm out she would be able to touch him. To many, the sound of wind blowing leaves up, making mini tornadoes and messing people’s hair up may be noise. It may be annoying. But it was one of the greatest sounds in the whole world.

Dan continued staring, watching as his chest rose and fell. His lean body was muscular at the same time, and he moved with the kind of grace of bodybuilder would never have. She loved the way he moved.

“Are you going to keep staring?” He cracked a grin and looked over, making her blush heavily. The boy smirked.

“Maybe.” It was quiet between the two of them again, and she took her recorder out. It was going to be full soon, and she’d get a new tape.

“Dan, I need to ask you something.” The boy rolled over cutely, stopping beside her and she smiled, curious. In her eyes, he was adorable. Everything he did was a mix of masculinity and cuteness, and everything he did captivated her. That moment, he lay beside her and Daehyun took the recorder out of her hands, clicking on the button.

“Sure.” He took a deep breath, as though to calm he himself down and she knew instinctively that it was something big. What could it be? The sound of his breathing was calming to her ears, and when he looked right into her eyes she grew strangely nervous. He tended to have that effect on her, and suddenly she wanted to touch his shapely lips.

He sat up, and pulled her up too so he was facing her.

“I know it’s been only two months into our relationship, and we’ve only known each other for… four months? But I feel that special circumstances brought us together, and they will keep us together.” He paused, and she suddenly knew what he was trying to say. The blush on her cheeks grew, and the girl bit on her lower lip. 

 

------------

Woohoo! It's coming to an end soon, I think :P

Will they have their happy ending? The funny part about this fic is, that i don't think there are any comments. Comment, guys~