I'll Be Your Therapist

The Therapy

 

It has been a few weeks since his awakening.

Jaejoong’s physical state was rapidly improving especially that he was blessed with the presence of the now only two people who mattered for him… He still couldn’t quite grasp the fact that his world turned no longer around three, but only two people; Junsu and Yoochun.

These two have seen their life brighten with Jaejoong waking up; they could finally see his beautiful eyes and hear his voice after so long. However, nothing was the same anymore. He was a changed man. They could no more see life in those eyes, and his voice carried nothing but melancholy and weakness. He looked and felt lost. They may have recovered their best friend back, or more appropriately his body, but who he really is and how he made people around him feel, was no more.

Looking at his friend’s figure from the glass window of the fancy hospital room, Yoochun felt as if Jaejoong lost his soul. The boy’s deep and sincere goodness used to shine out from his eyes but now, they held no more life. Each of his actions used to speak nothing but real concern for people around him, even if they all knew deep inside that for Jaejoong, it was only the three of them who really mattered; Junsu, himself and that…

He didn’t want to think about him anymore. That man doesn’t deserve to leave a trace in their life, not even does his name deserve to cross his or anyone’s memory. He blocked all the things reminding him of his friend’s molester. How could he break an angel’s wings? How could anyone who knew Jaejoong inside out, and who witnessed the perfection of that being, ever have the heart not only to hurt him physically, but also to destroy every single part of his soul? ‘Oh, if only I knew…’ His thoughts were interrupted as he felt a head fall gently on his shoulder and heard his other friend sigh deeply.

“It has been 3 weeks now, until now, I couldn’t see him even smile. Where is our JaeJae? Did we lose him forever?” 
Junsu was as desperate to have his friend back. He knew the process was going to be long and rocky. It may have been a two-year coma for them, but he knew that for Jaejoong, what happened occurred only yesterday. He still didn’t get the time to heal from it and it seemed that it would take more than they expected, especially when they witnessed their friend’s behavior once he woke up. He never let them talk about the incident. He wanted to forget it all, it was as if that night never happened, as if the man he thought was the love of his life, the man to whom he gave his all, has never jeopardized his life.

“He needs help Chunnie, he needs to get his life back. I need my old JaeJae back to the way he has once been. He was our rock, our support, the wisest among the three of us. I know it’s selfish, but I want that back. I’d give anything to have him back. We’ll bring him back Chunnie, won’t we?”

“I don’t know Su, I also want him back. You know how much he meant for me too, but what he went through wasn’t something to leave someone unaffected. What he faced would bring the strongest willed person down. We should be happy he got out of it alive. He needs us Su, he needs us to show him the way back. We’ll guide him together and with the help of Yunho, I’m sure everything will be alright. Let’s keep the faith. Let’s trust Jaejoong on finding his way back to his own self, he’s the only one who can do it.”

“Yunho?”

They haven’t heard of the man since the day he called to tell them Jaejoong was awake. That day, he made the two boys promise not to say anything about him to their friend, never.

Junsu and Yoochun respected his decision to remain as Jaejoong’s secret benefactor. Even though they found it particularly puzzling, they still gave their word to keep the secret because through the two years of Jaejoong’s coma, the three men got closer, and a strong bond formed among the boys and the older man.

Deep inside, Yoochun and Junsu respected the young therapist for his goodness. They were thankful they found someone like him during those difficult times. Jaejoong’s fate and his fighting for his own life made the two boys completely lose their temper and the ability to take decisions for him. If it wasn’t for Yunho, their friend might have been gone now. Without the young doctor, the boys wouldn’t have been able to pay for Jaejoong’s stay at the hospital all this time. When the incident happened, both Yoochun and Junsu were still music students. The jobs they got singing and playing during weddings and anniversaries were barely enough to pay for their own life expenses. Sometimes the boys even got to go on strict diets to cut off the food expenses.

Yunho too liked the pair. He thought highly of them, and always coined their relationship as really interesting. They were totally different. Yoochun was exactly what the stereotype of an artist should be; sensitive, thoughtful, caring and composed. However, he was a totally different person in the presence of Junsu. Yunho discovered that the fair-haired boy could be very funny and careless. It was obvious that he loved to tease the very gullible smaller guy. Junsu however, was completely different. This guy was totally cute, charming, noisy and cheerful. He also was particularly unpredictable, sometimes being all happy and funny, just to suddenly transform into a storm of anger out of one of Yoochun’s teases about his voice or looks. It was obvious how much the little Junsu loved and valued his two friends by how caring he acted in spite of his clumsiness. The two boys helped Yunho get over some of the days he felt most down, when his hope of seeing his angel wake up again was withering. He was as grateful for their support and unconditional love to Jaejoong, as they were for his own help to their friend. To all of them, seeing their angel back, was all that mattered now.

*****
A few weeks after waking up, Jaejoong was physically much better, even though he still had some difficulties moving around freely after two long years spent inanimate, it was finally time to go. With the doctor’s permission, he was ready to leave the hospital that has been his “home” for the last two years. Jaejoong didn’t feel good there, he felt estranged and out of place, he knew he was being harsh thinking that since everybody was treating him like a prince for an unknown reason. He knew it was a hospital, and that the ideal staff had to behave that way with their patients, but this is real world and this was too much, he felt as if he couldn’t trust anyone. Just before he finished packing the clothes his two best friends brought him to check out from his room, he was called to meet his doctor. He left the luggage with the very excited Junsu and headed to Dr. Choi’s office.

“Come in” the doctor raised his eyes from the PC screen he was focusing on as he heard the light knocking. When his beautiful patient came in, he took off his glasses and invited him to take a seat which the young man did.
“Congratulations, I heard you were leaving today and I wanted to meet you before you left. I’ve been examining your latest lab and radiology reports, I’m very happy about your physical condition but I had to give you my recommendations and tell you about the two main measures that were taken to guarantee you total recovery”

The boy was silent for a few seconds waiting for the doctor to continue, when the latter didn’t seem to carry on, the patient added: “Yes?”

“First, you will be having physical rehabilitation training. Sleeping for two years had a lot of effects on your body; your muscles atrophied and “forgot” how to move properly. You need extensive training to regain your strength and to have the ability to take on activities your young ages requires you to have.

“I’ll be training really hard, I hope I can be as healthy as before and very quickly”

“The training will take a period of over 6 months, please don’t overlook or underestimate it. I want you to understand that it will be very difficult and even painful sometimes.”

“I am fully aware and ready for that.” Jaejoong knew about that fact since his doctor has been telling about the necessity of physical training, the patient then paused a few seconds before speaking again:

“What about the second measure doctor?”

Dr. Choi hesitated, he has never talked to Jaejoong about this matter before to avoid a negative reaction to the treatment, and he knew he was stepping in a dangerous zone when addressing this issue with his patient, but at the moment, this was unavoidable.

“As you know, the night you came, something really terrible occurred in your life.” He looked at his patient who was starting to fidget in his seat and avoid eye contact with the doctor. He felt panic and tears forming in his eyes. But Jaejoong kept it all in and tried to stay composed.

“Don’t worry Jaejoong, we are fully aware of what you went through, and we understand you refusal to talk about it when you woke up, but you have to overcome what happened to you on your own, so we arranged psychological counseling. It is the best to help you on your social reintegration. One of Korea’s best therapists will take the responsibility of helping you with your recovery for the coming year.

Jaejoong thought about it for seconds. All he wanted was to move on with his life and pretend it never happened. It wasn’t good to even think about it at all, he refused to talk about that. He tried to find an easy way out of his doctor’s proposal.

“But doctor, I can’t afford a therapy, especially one with the best psychiatrist out there I’m just a st...”

“Don’t worry, it’s free of charge.” Jaejoong heard a deep voice at the entrance of Dr. Choi’s office cutting him.

Slowly, Jaejoong turned to see who the intruder was, and he was met by the man’s intense gaze.

The intruder was tall, and well-built. His face was very attractive, but in a cold way, Jaejoong thought. He was wearing a medical staff uniform. By the color of the badge on the side pocket, Jaejoong could tell the man whose intrusion angered him was a doctor, what does he have to do with this? However, what puzzled him the most was the man’s voice. It felt so familiar, so soothing. Also his eyes, the way the man looked at him made Jaejoong feel weird and restless. Him taking long confident steps in his direction interrupted Jaejoong’s musing as he took the hand that the doctor offered to shake.

“I am Dr. Jung Yunho and I’ll be your therapist. I hope we will work well together on your reintegration Mr. Kim.”

“Kim Jaejoong, well, sorry but I don’t think I need your help. I’m OK… Really!”

“Well, we’ll see about that. Siwon, May I have a word with Mr. Kim here for a moment please?”

“Of course, take your time. I’ll be taking my leave.” Siwon said, the he turned to his patient with a reassuring smile. 
“Jaejoong, Dr. Jung will do everything he can so you feel better. He’s really the best, and he’ll continue taking care of you as he has done for the previous two years…” the shock on his patient’s face and the panicked look Yunho gave him made him realize what he said, and he tried to pull himself together by saying “… with all his patients.”

– Minutes later –

“So Mr. Kim, I wanted to explain what all this is about. The objective of your therapy is helping you overcome the state of shock you are having because of your incident. Little by little, we will try to reintegrate you socially by reintroducing you into the social sphere and reacquaint you with a healthy social environment…”

“Sorry to say this doctor, but I really don’t think I need this therapy, I’m feeling totally fine. All I need is to go home.”

“And which home are you going back to?” Yunho wanted to make sure Jaejoong will be safe under his friends’ care. He knew Yoochun and Junsu were waiting to take him home with them. However, he didn’t expect the boy’s reaction upon hearing his innocent question.

Jaejoong lowered his eyes and started staring thoughtfully at the ground before he whispered: “I don’t know where to go.”

“Don’t you have friends with whom you can live temporarily?” he was really surprised with Jaejoong’s answer, but he couldn’t blow up his cover.

“I do, but I’m sure their place isn’t enough for three people to fit in. I don’t want to intrude.”

“I’m sure they won’t care about space as long as you’re with them.” He couldn’t get any response from the boy who continued to look down thinking. “Listen Mr. Kim, I want you to tell me about anything you feel saying at any time. Even though I’m only a doctor, someone you got to know just today, you can still tell me everything. My job is to listen to you and help you feel better.”

“Dr. Jung, I’m sure you’re a great professional, but I rather like not talking about the past, what’s been done is done. I only want to move on and never think about it again. It’s all that matters to me.”

“Sorry to say this Mr. Kim, but you can’t move on as long as you don’t face your past once and for all. Only this way will you be able to lead a happy life. It might be painful and difficult, and you can take as much time as you need, what is important is that your past, doesn’t hamper you from having bright future.” That being said, Yunho slowly stood up signaling that the meeting was over. With a reassuring smile, he shook his new patient’s hand saying: “Sorry but I have things to attend to at the moment so we will talk more thoroughly about this when your therapy officially begins. We will see each other soon since our first session has already been scheduled for next week. All the information concerning your therapy is here.” Yunho said while putting a file on the desk in front of Jaejoong. “My assistant will contact you to confirm the date. Until then please take care of your health.”

Jaejoong was defeated in front of this man’s persuasion, he paused for a moment, without noticing his doctor’s hand that lingered longer than needed on his own, he unwillingly said:

“Thank you Dr. Jung, we will meet next week then. I’ll be waiting for confirmation”. He took the file and left the room leaving Yunho behind sighing tiredly.

“Yes, see you soon my love.”

***********

A/N
Sorry!
I’m finally back, after a life-long unannounced hiatus. 
I’m not proud of myself. I know I’m a failure, and I apologize for the two-year delay. 
I apologize for leaving this fic unfinished for such a long time! I hope I have at least one supporter left for this story. There have been some tragic and drastic changes in my life, I lost important people and changed careers…
However, when I read my readers comments I felt so bad. I should have at least put a hiatus announcement or something, but I didn’t and I apologize for that. I lost all hope of regaining my muse of writing this. I tried everything, even resorted to communities for help, but all of them ignored me. Today, I read some of my readers comments, and I felt that I was ungrateful so I had to rewrite all the chapters (that were ready) from scratch because of an issue with the laptop. I’m not really convinced by the result, but to relieve my conscience and pay you back for your wait I had to post something! 
And thank you again to all those who commented, I start having my muse back thanks to your encouragements.