Introduction: Save Him

The Therapy

“Please try to save him, he’s too young to die now. He doesn’t deserve this.”


Suddenly, the once lifeless body covered with blood started to shake violently on the green sheets of the E. R. Bed.
“Oh, my god! He’s dying, Yoochun, no! Please tell me he’s not!” The short haired boy continued panicking in his own sobs. He continue to stare unbelievingly at the shaking form of his best friend only to feel his throat narrowing uncontrollably from frustrating a loud cry from escaping his mouth.


“Sorry Junsu, I don’t know what to say, I can’t believe this is happening either.” Another fair haired boy said while holding the sobbing young man tightly. He couldn’t prevent himself from crying at the sight of their 22 year-old friend battling to survive the two bullets planted in his chest.


“It’s him!” whispered a third man under his breath. He dropped his suitcase on the hospital’s cold ground and froze at the sight in front of him. The tall handsome man stood at few steps’ distance from the sobbing pair. He immediately recognised the body lying between the hands of the medical team who were all struggling to save the life of the beautiful young man convulsing over the now red bed sheets soaking in his own blood. They all disappeared behind the green doors of one of the emergency rooms.

Slowly, he moved in direction of the host of people before being stopped by an out-of-breath nurse:

“Sorry, sir! You cannot...” He gently walked past her and pushed the doors of the Intensive Care Room open after waving a badge that was in his pocket in front of her face.

“Sorry, Dr. Jung, but...”

“Yunho?” The nurse was cut by a handsome doctor. It was obvious for Yunho that he was the one in charge of rescuing the young boy. “We don’t need you here now. He needs to breathe first, then we’ll see about his mental health.”

Yunho didn’t answer, he just stared at the shaking boy under the hands of the doctors for what seemed liked an eternity. The patient’s body was covered with purple and blue bruises. Yunho then moved his eyes to the boy’s chest, it was soaked in blood and there were two holes in his wide open bloody and dirty shirt. He suddenly felt tears blur his sight. Then he spoke:

“Save him, please save him O.K.? I trust you Siwon. Save him! For me.” Yunho finally managed to say after waking from his thoughts. The said doctor was really shocked seeing his friend’s reaction at the sight of the now limp body of his patient.

“Yunho? Do you know him?” Yunho took hold of himself and tried to answer Siwon calmly.

“Just from sight, he was my junior at university before I left for Canada. Anyway, tell me, how is he? Will he survive?”

“No one knows, we managed to stop the haemorrhage for now, we have to...”

Right at that time, the doors of the room were pushed by a crying form. Yunho recognised it as being the short haired sobbing boy who was accompanying the patient when he arrived at the hospital.

“Doctor, is he O.K.? Why did you stop reanimating him? Please don’t tell me he is... Oh god! Please, no, he can’t be...” The small Junsu couldn’t continue his sentence. He refused to imagine anything bad happening to his best friend. That was out of the question.

“Calm down sir. We are trying to stabilize your friend for the surgery, for now we stopped the bleeding. Right now he will be sent to radiology. We will try to extract the bullets after locating them. We also need to check his lungs’ and heart’s state before the surgery. Only then, will I be able to give you an accurate answer about the possibility or impossibility of his survival.”

“Save him doc! Please save him.” The second sobbing man said after feeling a pinch in his heart hearing the doctor’s last sentence. Siwon nodded hi head with a reassuring smile, then left to get ready for the surgery.

“Are you the victim’s family?” A short policewoman addressed the young men from outside the room.

“He doesn’t have a family, we are his friends.” answered Junsu.

“Can you follow me outside? We have a few questions to ask you.”

“What questions?” shouted the now fuming Junsu, “That freaking bastard is dead, and our friend is dying because of that coward. How could he dare kill himself after doing that? How? I would rather have him killed by my own bare hands, than him killing himself before paying the price of what he did to my friend.” The rage of the shouting Junsu was stopped by the tight hug he received from the crying fair-haired young man.

“Junsu, please calm down. The police has to talk to us.” He brushed his friend’s cheek and looked deep into his eyes. A few seconds later, he felt Junsu calm down in his gaze. He took him by the hand and directed both of them to the exit door where the policewoman was standing.

“Excuse my friend’s behaviour madam; it’s because of the shock that we might lose our closest friend. We grew up together. The victim is like a brother to us.”

“Never mind. I understand your pain. Now would you please follow me? This way.”

Before leaving the room, Junsu turned and said one last sentence to the closest person standing near the hospital bed on which his friend had been lying.

“Take care of our Jaejoong doctor! Please.”

Yunho was startled by the young man addressing him. Since the intrusion of both young men in the intensive care unit, Yunho has been staring at the bed on which the victim was lying before being moved to radiology. All this time, he has been in his own world, looking at the blood stained sheets and analysing the situation in front of him when he was cut by young Junsu’s voice.

“Will you do that doctor? Will you save him for me?”

He tried to pull out a reassuring smile before saying: “I’m not a surgeon, but I can tell you one thing, Dr. Siwon is the best. I’m sure he’ll do his best to save your friend err?”

“Jaejoong, his name is Jaejoong.”

“O.K. I promise I’ll make sure Jaejoong lacks nothing in this hospital. Be assured. You can go and take some rest.”

“Thank you doctor! I rely on you to save Jaejoong. Please save him.” Junsu managed to say before disappearing behind the doors of the I.C. room.

“Make sure he lacks nothing. If my father asks for me, I’ll be upstairs with the victim in the radiology department.” Yunho addressed one of the nurses before heading to the staff elevator.

Once its doors closed, Yunho felt the urge to block it, and let his tears spill freely on his face. He felt his sobs grow louder and louder every time the image of the limp body crosses his mind. His legs gave up on him and he landed violently on the lift’s ground, his head between his palms.

“So your name is Jaejoong? You must live my beautiful stranger, you have to live. I need you. I want to talk to you, to hear you, at least once. Why did it have to be you? The first person I meet after two years, the one particular person that I tried to avoid is the person now struggling for life. Don’t die Jaejoong! Please! I missed you.”