Chapter 3

Protected
Kyungsoo and his friends made their way to the cafeteria and took a seat at a table in the corner. Kyungsoo had forgotten to bring his lunch so he went over to the café to buy something. He picked up sandwich and was about to pay for when he saw Mina. This time she wasn't carrying a pile of papers, she was carrying a pile of food.
 
"Hey Mina." Kyungsoo called to her. "Hey." she responded. "That's a lot  of food." Kyungsoo commented. Mina smiled, "Yeah I know." "Do you want to come sit with us?" Kyungsoo offered. Mina shook her head, "I already made plans for this lunch. Maybe next time?" she asked. Kyungsoo nodded and then walked away.
 
Kyungsoo made his way back over to the table where his friends were. "Heys guys what's up with Mina?" he asked. Everyone stopped and look at him. "What about her?" Chanyeol asked. "She's been acting weird." Kyungsoo responded. Baekhyun shrugged, "Not to me. She seems to be acting normal." "Well it's weird to me..." Kyungsoo replied, "She seems like she doesn't want to talk to me." "Well you would be the first." Jongin commented. Yuri glared at him. "What's that's supposed to mean?" Kyungsoo asked. "Nothing Kyungsoo. Jongin is just being an a-hole." Yuri replied. "Guys. I know you're hiding something from me." Kyungsoo said. Everyone looked at him. "What are you talking about Soo?" Yixing asked. "You know exactly what I'm talking about" Kyungsoo snapped back. "Every time I bring up Mina you guys either ignore me, or make side comments. Now tell me what's going on. Did you guys get into a fight with her or something?" Kyungsoo asked.
 
Everyone at the table looked at one another, Kyungsoo waited patiently for a reply. Finally Yuri spoke. "No we didn't fight with her Soo." Yuri answered.  "Then what happened?" Kyungsoo asked.
 
Chanyeol sighed, "About a year after you left. Things got really bad with Mina. She was having family problems." Chanyeol explained. Kyungsoo nodded and Chanyeol continued. "She started missing a lot of school, and when we went to go check on her, her mom would tell us she was just sick and not to worry about her. Then after a while, Mina stopped showing up to school altogether. The teachers wouldn't even call her name during attendance check."
 
Kyungsoo looked at Chanyeol in shock, "What?" Chanyeol nodded, "We went to Mina's house again to see what was going on, but no one was home." Chanyeol continued, "We went there everyday for six months but every time there was no answer. We came to the conclusion that Mina's family had moved."
 
Kyungsoo kept looking at Chanyeol, Jongin continued the story. "One time, I saw Mina's little brother at the park, I asked him what was going on with Mina, and he just looked me with wide eyes and said that he wasn't supposed to talk about it, and then ran away. Then one day, out of the blue, Mina showed up at school."
"And when was that?" Kyungsoo asked. "In the middle of 8th grade." Yixing answered. Kyungsoo mouth fell open, "She was gone for that long?" Everyone nodded. "When we saw her, we all immediately went over to her and asked her where she had been. She looked really nervous and said that she had to go to class and then walked away." Yixing added.
 
"Then what happened?" Kyungsoo asked. Baekhyun sighed, "She just stopped hanging out with us. When we saw her, she would mutter Hello and then walk away." "But soon, even that stopped." Chanyeol added.
 
Kyungsoo sat back and tried to process to process all the information. "Then, when we got to high school, Mina really started changing." Jongin said. Kyungsoo looked at him, "What do you mean?" Kyungsoo asked. Jongin sighed, "Well first of all, she made some new friends." Jongin said. "Who were they?" Kyungsoo asked. "Go see for yourself." Chanyeol said and he pointed to a table in the center of the cafeteria. He saw a bunch of Jocks and Cheerleaders sitting there. At first Kyungsoo didn't know what Chanyeol was talking about but then he looked closer. He saw Mina's tiny figure, her head bent over a book. With a big muscular arm draped over her shoulder. Kyungsoo cringed when he saw who the arm belonged to.
 
It was Jaewon.