Chapter 12

Magic of Love

Kibum woke up early the next morning to do his every day reponsibilities. He washed his face first, and in the midst of it suddenly remembered his accidental KISS with the beautiful genie, Yoona. Then, he touched his lips as the scene flashed back to himself. It was that day, their very first KISS.

"D*mn Kibum, forget about it!" he cursed to himself as he rushed to get his towel from the metal hanger, and then wiped the beads of water away from his cheeks. 

With his stomach churning, Kibum walked out of the bathroom with an unexplained expression painted on his face. It was in between the feeling of surprised, and, or of happiness. He saw Tiffany eating with his parents by the dining room when he arrived down the first floor of their home.

"Oppa!" Tiffany called with a happy wave, but instead of greeting back, Kibum just returned a single wave. Then in a flash, Kibum's mom stood up from her seat and rushed towards her son to pull him down the reserved chair beside Tiffany's. 

"So, our Tiffany seems so happy today, did something happen?" his mom restarted the conversation before settling down her seat again. Tiffany gladly answered it with an honest reply. "No auntie, I just had fun yesterday on a date with a friend." She said.

The story sharing of each, except for Kibum, continued to roll towards the end of dinner time. The lady visitor has told them about how she enjoyed traveling around a new environment, outside her comfort zone, and the elders in return gave her pieces of advices about how the world outside works. And they warned her that it's a huge place to roam.

Suddenly, they noticed Kibum's awkward silence from his side. "Something wrong dear?" his mom asked but he just turned to them with a weak, soft grin. "No, I'm fine," he paused to put his fork down the tabletop. Then Tiffany interrupted, "Oppa, is something bothering you?" asked her.

"Uhmm," then he spoke, "would you please excuse me?" before rising up from his seat to grab his jacket from the clothe holder. He heard his parents protest from his back but he didn't mind. He continued on towards the front door, letting his feet to lead him towards the place it wanted to be at.

He ended up in front of his genie's temporary house. 

Kibum saw her there, outside to the garden, sitting while enjoying a cup of a hot drink as an accompaniment to her novel reading. He even saw the title of the book; "Pride and the Prejudice". A classic he should say, it never gets old in time. 

For almost 15 minutes Kibum stayed at his place, freezing from the cold pre-December climate. Until later on, Yoona finally lifeted her head up from the book and turned to look at her favorite master. Her smile reached from ear to ear as she stood up from her seat to open the gates for him. "Oppa!" she yelled happily. 

Kibum, on the other hand, trudged to greet her after her welcoming yell. He tried to hide the coldness he feels, and instead, showed her the warmest smile her could. "Hey, you'll surpass my intelligence if you'd keep doing that." He mocked while stepping inside the small front garden. 

"Of course not, you're still the most intelligent person I met." The genie said in return, trying to be humble as she could be. A genie never shows off his pride to anyone, especially to his master. 

Unlike how they first met with a hundred percent of awkwardness, the two are most likely more comfortable with each other now. They talk as if they've been friends for long, and they hold each other as if they have always done it.

"Oppa, how's school?" she started, not even remembering what has happened to them the day before today. Or maybe she just doesn't want to remember it.

"Hmm, fine. It's very tiring but it's like the usual." Kibum shrugged his broad shoulders before putting his attention back to the house. But knowing Kibum's school day's not the real motive of Yoona, she asked him that because she wanted to know the feeling of going to school. Nevertheless Kibum knew about this, and he just redirected his answer to mock her more. Until finally, when he saw her curious, he gave in. "You're gonna enjoy it for sure. You'll have friends, and you will be able to study." He chuckled.

"I'm excited, and I'm confident that I'm gonna pass the test." Boastful as she was, the genie crossed her arms in front of her chest. Definitely swooning for her upcoming entrance examination. 

And so, the two kept up with their chitchat until lunch time. And because she was not fully ready for his sudden arrival, the lady decided to fire up a dish that is very easy to cook. That is, the instant noodles. Then while cooking, Yoona turned to ask. "Hey, it's Sunday today, aren't you suppoed to be with your friend?" she asked him, as she stirred the noodles with her fork.

"Well, Kyuhyun sent me a message telling me that he has a secret date with his secret girlfriend today." Kibum replied as he made his way towards the side of his genie. Leaning sideways against the door frame that bounds the kitchen from the living room, the master hesitated to speak. Especially to that issue.

Since the two were busy making up their lunch, Kibum and Yoona did not notice that somebody's already spying them from outside. It's no other than the one who never wanted Yoona for Kibum in the first place, Kim Kibum's mother, Mrs. Kim. 

"I knew it! That girl sure has the guts to stay with my son!" she rattled her teeth in annoyance as she held unto the metal gate and tiptoed to have the better view on what's happening inside. 

 

 

The meal was tasteful after all, for they joined it with a sweet chat about Yoona's favorites that has been constantly changing due to her hundred years of living on Earth. Eventually, after eating, Kibum went back home in a rush. It's because his Mom won't stop calling him, telling him to go home early. Then he plopped down his bed as soon as he saw his bed.

"Why am I like this?" he whispered to himself before clutching his chest's left part, feeling the beat of his heart from beneath. 

Hence, while he was busy organizing his thoughts about everything, Kibum was clueless about what his Mom's been doing. "Hello? Uhm it's me, I just wanna tell you that Kibum did agree with the engangement party, next month perhaps?. . ."

"Sure we're just gonna arranged the details for the party, then we'll inform and update you." A woman's voice replied to Mrs. Kim that brought good news to her. At last, she thought. "We should make this party earlier before that Yoona steal my Kibum." Mrs. Lee whispered to herself after hanging up on the phone. 

After that Kibum's mother informed his dad about the engagement without consulting her son. And with this, she also added a pretty little lie that Kibum agreed on the engagement when he really didn't.

"Okay, that's good then." Mr. Lee nodded at the news, innocent of the real scheme that his wife's been planning for their son. Nonetheless, after getting approvals from important people, Mrs. Lee called Tiffany with excitement. 

"Hello?" Tiffany greeted with glee, just like how she always does before. 

"It's me, can I ask you to go out? Just for a second." Kibum's mother's voice sounded really sweet from the phone, you won't notice the propaganda that she successfully laid out before her. 

"Sure auntie, where should we go?" Tiffany asked again, and a grin of victory painted on Kibum's mom's fair colored face.

It was 15 minutes after the call when Tiffany's car arrived in front of the Kim's house, Kibum's mother walked out of the house to welcome her, she was wearing this red scarf around her neck and a sunglasses to match up with it. 

"Aunite, where are we going? And why are you wearing a sunglasses and a scarf?" she said empty-headed of what's happening. 

Kibum's mom did not waste her time in answering the girl and instead, grabbed Tiffany's arms and pulled her in front of Yoona's house. Tiffany felt her body tensed up when she saw the place where Mrs. Kim took her.

"You know her?" she pointed at Yoona, who was busy cutting the excess grass on her front yard.

"Yes, she is Kibum oppa's girlfriend, why are we here--" Tiffany wanted to protest to the older but even before she could finish her sentence, Kibum's mom interrupted. "No, she doesn't deserve to be my son's girlfriend. You are his girlfriend." She insisted, pushing her luck to giving Tiffany and Kibum the chance even if Tiffany knew to herself that it's too late for that. "Don't worry, I'm sure she has a weakness, let's go." 

Then they went back to the Kims house, announcing defeat for now.

Inside her humble house on the other hand, Yoona paced back and forth of her living room while brushing her hair and ponytailing its half top. She was very excited for her entrance examination that she couldn't stop herself from feeling anxious. Nevertheless, she wore her best dress and flattened it with her hands when she flashed a smile upon herself in the mirror.

Usually, when the clock strikes 8, Kibum would walk in trespassing in the house and would grab a can of drink from the genie's refrigerator. But differently that time, he did not come. The genie glanced by her door when she realized it, and because she knew that he might not be coming, she rapidly carried her bag and stepped out of the house, humming her favorite song. 

Until suddenly, Yoona's head bumped into somebody's when she opened the door to step out. "Aw!" she exclaimed while holding unto her forehead that was shaded red because of the impact. But she was surprised when she lifted up her head to look at the person. It was Kibum, panting hard and sweaty. He squatted in front of her after that, while breathing deeply.

"Sorry I'm late, I wanted to accompany you to your school and wish you good luck." He smiled when he finally could. His genie couldn't help it as well but to show him her perfect smile that only him could bring out in her.

 

 

There were hundreds of entrance examinees that went to SYHS, and nervous as she could be, Yoona sighed several times. She turned to her Master and gave him a less comfortable smile, but Kibum trusted her and he knew that she could do it. So instead, he patted her head, and returned a very warm smile.

Suddenly, the two heard a couple of voices calling out unto Yoona. "Noona," went Sungmin, "Unnie," then Sunny. The genie turned her head towards where the voices were coming from and smiled. 

"Oh guys, how are you?" she asked them with an excited smile and her hands behind her. 

"We're good unnie, how about you?" Sunny asked with her eyes stuck on the guy beside Yoona. It's the first time she has lain her eyes on that guy and she just couldn't believe that Yoona knows a person like him.

"Thank you Sunny!" Yoona giggled while giving Kibum a quick glance. 

"The class is starting, you should get going." The master reminded his genie when he noticed that the atmosphere was getting awkward. Because of it, Sungmin and Sunny looked at their watches in unison and gasped in surprise. "Shoot! We're late!" they yelled, again in chorus.

"Okay, see you later!" said Yoona with a wave of her hands as they started running towards the other direction. But even before they could get a farther distance, Sungmin turned, "Oh right, let's eat lunch and walk home together okay? We'll wait for you at the cafeteria."

"Sure." Yoona nodded in agreement. 

When the two has finally left for class, Yoona spun to face her master again and saw him glaring at the running guy from afar. She followed his stares and chuckled at the thought. "He's just a friend." She told him, thinking that Kibum was just worried about her identity. "He doesn't know I'm not human." She added.

It was after saying good bye to Kibum when Yoona went straight ahead to the venue of the examination. She started up smooth, and continued on carefully. Evverything that she learned from her tutor, the genie had used. Then the test ended up really fast and really easy, Yoona even went out of the room with her head held high, confident that she'd pass the test.

Sunny and Sungmin also ended their classed and went to fetch Yoona just like how they talked about. "Right unnie, who's the guy with you a while ago?" asked Sunny.

"Yeah noona, he looks cool!" nodded Sungmin with his two thumbs up. 

"He's my master," Yoona replied not knowing that she slipped out a thing that she shouldn't. "Master? Are you his maid?" Sunny asked her, confused.

"Maid? No! I'm his Ge--I mean kinda." Yoona scratched her head, accompanying it with a dry laughter. "Oohhh, but I bet you like him. The way you look at him," Sunny in a giggly way.

"What?!" Yoona's eyes doubled up its size, "Well, I do...like him, but I'm not sure if he likes me too!" she added more.

"Whatever just tell him straight how you feel about him!" Sunny suggested confidently with her arms crossed. How Yoona wished that she has the confidence like Sunny. If only she could tell him how she really feels. 

"Sunny, are you close already? Why give noona a love advice?" Sungmin scolded his girlfriend after that. "Of course not!" The two continued to fight using their faces, aegyo faces they call. Those two are quite popular with their infamous nickname the 'Aegyo Royalties.'

On her side, Yoona thought of what Sunny had said, about her confessing the contents of her heart to him. "Should I really tell him?" she whispered to herself, looking at the ground. "Or maybe not?! What if I tell him by letter?" she continued to wonder. "No, I should tell him personally!" 

And so, as soon as she got home afterwwards, she ran by her room, grabbed a paper and a pencil, then she wrote:

"Dear oppa," too formal, "Oppa,  You know since the day I saw you I really like you--" too ugly! "You know since the day I saw you I really like you---"

After an hour of undecisive writings, Yoona finished her letter. She even hid for keepsake, and told herself that she would definitely bring it out once she's ready. She put it in between the pages of Kibum's review books and after the hiding of secrets, Yoona walked to the kitchen to cook her dinner. 

 

 

Yoona waited patiently for the results, after a few days. She never stopped glancing at her phone, checking it every minute and never stop sweating as well. 3 days had passed, still, no calls. Yoona was worried that she did not pass the test, while Kibum joined her in her worries. On the couch, he sat beside the lady.

"Did they call?" he asked her with a comforting smile, then she spoke. "Oppa, I'm scared." Yoona pouted, giving Kibum her puppy face. Kibum wanted to give her some promising words but he knew that it couldn't help her. Instead, he wrapped an arm around her and stiffly rubbed her arm with his hand. Then he sighed softly, "Don't worry,"

30 minutes. 45 minutes. 1 hour. 1 hour and a half. Tick tock, tick tock. They kept on waiting and waiting, until Kibum's phone alarmed at 2. Yoona's phone rang together with his phone. Then she slowly pressed the answer icon, and nervously answered it.

"Hello?" her voice cracked a bit, but she was satisfied on how confident it sounded. "Is this Ms. Im Yoona?" she heard the girl on the other line greeted. "Yes, I am her," went her.

"Congratulations, you passed the test you can start on Monday, you can get your stuff here at the registrar office." The registrar said. Yoona still in shock, embraced Kibum when she heard the good news.

It felt like time stopped for Kibum when Yoona embraced him. But the lady was too busy about her exam that she did not noticed him flushing, and jumped many times. Kibum stuttered.

"Congratulations! I can go back now," Kibum's voice sounded emotionless, however, Yoona knew that he's happy for her. She could feel it. "Yes, thank you for all the help oppa!" then she said.

Kibum marched his way towards the door, but at the front porch, he stopped and smiled.