06

Blink of an eye
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A few weeks have passed. The thing going on between my Dad and Anna, that is officially his girlfriend, has been really well enough lately. She had invited me to her house, and we had dinner together, we talked about everything that needs to be known. Luckily her daughter wasn’t at home when I was there the whole night; I don’t think I’m ready to meet that little one, yet. She is telling me everything about her history and her beloved daughter; she even showed me her pictures that were hanging on the walls.

“What do you think? She’s pretty, isn’t she?”, Anna shoot me a question that’s been heard by my Dad and he expect me to be ‘nice’ through the looks he gave me.

“Yes, you have a lovely daughter, Anna…”, I smiled while staring at her pictures.

She’s actually quite tall for a 15 year old kid. I’m 19 already, but I don’t have that kind of height when I was young. I was told that her daughter go by, ‘Jei’. She’s a senior in high school, she’s also a genius; Anna told me that she’s an excellent student among the other seniors. Jei had entered so many competitions, all sorts of them. She’s a track and field athlete. She performs drama at her school play.

“She sounds amazing…”, I put up a compliment to her victory pictures and trophies.

I can’t believe how amazingly talented she is. She is like a perfect role model for her juniors and friends. I got to say, I’m impressed. She’d be accepted at any universities or colleges once she’s off her high school stage. She must be quite an interesting person.

“She hasn’t known about me and your father… That’s why I’ve been wanting for her to meet you first so I could explain to her about the whole situation…”, Anna held my hands when she said that to me.

“I’ll try to make some time for her then…”, I was caught off guard while staring at her daughter.

“I hope you don’t mind. Forgive me if I’m causing you trouble…”, Anna gazed at me deep into my eyes.

“What do you mean?”, I was so careless to have her catch me at the times like this.

“Do you mind… If I ask you to go and get her after school tomorrow?”, She paused a while, “If you don’t mind, I’ll let her know tonight when she gets home so, she won’t get surprised by your visit…”,

“Err… I don’t know if that’s…”, I immediately turned at Dad to get a help from him getting me out of this situation, but as I thought, he wouldn’t be as much of help anyway. In fact, he even insisted me on doing it, “Sure, Anna… Why not?”,

Until I learn how to say no to my Dad, I’ll just have to keep up with everything.

We had been discussed about a lot of things, and when it’s time to get home. I felt relieved. Like, these heavy borders just got off my shoulders. I couldn’t wait to get in the car and go home already.

“I’ll call you tomorrow…”, Dad said his goodbye.

“I’ll get her home safely, tomorrow… You can trust me.”, I bowed down to her.

I’ve been wanted to ask Dad this when we’re alone. ‘Have you told about you two to anyone? Most importantly, have you told Aunt Jaekhui about this?’ He told me to wait a little longer, to wait until he’s ready. I mean, why is it so hard to just blurt it out? Better to tell her when he still has the time, before she finds it out from someone else.

“Don’t worry about that. I’ll take care of it. As for you, you better behave yourself in front of her daughter tomorrow, you heard me?”, Dad is giving me his endless nags of warning.

“I’m a grown lady. I know how to take care of a single kid…”,

As if! If he knew how hell of a nervous I’m feeling right now, I’m dead! Just bear in mind, that I could handle it. I could. How could I not?

I’m feeling guilty for the fact that Aunt Jaekhui hasn’t had any idea yet. I don’t know how long I could hold it in without bursting it out, accidentally.

 

**************

 

Dad won’t stop nagging on me from the moment I got off from the house. I had to put on the headset and just walk out with weighty feet. Since I don’t have a transport, I had to walk on feet to get to her school. Fortunately it isn’t that far off. I could still remember what Eunjung said to me this morning…

“Jiyeon, what if she turned out to be liking you without knowing who you really are?”, She took a sip of her drink.

“Why does that sound so… dreadful?”, I huffed.

“What are you talking about?”, Eunjung focused on me.

“If she like me when she doesn’t know who I am, will she hate then when she finally knows who I am?”, I frowned.

“Stop being so negative, Jiyeon. She is just a kid. She would probably understand why her mother do this…”, She sighed lightly.

“I don’t even understand why my Dad did this.”,

“Oh, she will… Believe me. You told me yourself, she’s a smart student. I’m sure she’ll be comprehensive enough with this situation.”,

“And if she doesn’t?”, I opposed.

“Leave her to me, so I can give her a lesson on how to b**ch up the attitude even more…”, She laughed while putting down her cup.

I’m aware of Eunjung was cracking up a joke, but I was so worried about her first impression on me, so I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter