CHAPTER 4 - memory

A Gentleman's Dignity (Extended Version)

They’d just got off  the bus when a street musician amused them with his awesome guitar attraction.

“how cool” Jamie dropped her jaw.

“awesome” Jong In was stunned.

Dong Hyeob and Kibum nodded.

Jamie poked Collin.

“are you still playing too?” Jamie asked Collin

Collin nodded. “you wanna see?”

“nope. Not now actually.” She shortly answered.

“what a good idea. Why don’t you give a play, then I’ll collect the money for us to spend tonight.” Dong Hyeob sounded excited.

“ya! Why you keep taking benefit from your friend huh!” Jamie slapped his shoulder.

“why? Me? he’ll surely love it though. Won’t you?” Dong Hyeob turned at Collin.

Collin nodded. He was about to go through the crowd when Jamie held him back.

“no. never. Don’t do it.” Jamie demanded.

“why should I do or don’t do it?” Collin shortly asked them.

“you’re good at it, why don’t let people to see and get  some cash from it” Dong Hyeob lightly answered.

“no.  I said no. Why should he do it?” Jamie demanded.

“cash” Jong In shortly stated.

She stayed still.

“you don’t bring yours though, so you can’t play. Ha ha” she insisted.

“just borrow  his guitar then” Kibum pointed the musician’s guitar.

“you. you let him to do it?” Jamie sharply asked Kibum.

“why not.” Kibum raised his shoulder.

“moreover, those girls have been watching since we got off the bus-“ Jong In pointed a group of girls from distance. “they must have been anticipating one of us to play”

The rest of them looked at the girls who were acting innocent for looking at them.

“up to you. it’s all up to you then.” Jamie backed off.

The rest were laughing at her.

---

 

Collin was really playing with the street musician’s guitar and even he earned a lot more money from the street musician himself. Dong Hyeob, Jong In, and Kibum were busy collecting the money. Jamie was sitting on a bench away from the crowd, though she could still see Collin clearly.

She bitterly smiled. Her mind went to the last memory of him playing the guitar.

Two kids were sitting on a slide.

“stop crying, you’ll run out of tears.” The boy tapped the crying girl’s back lightly. She kept crying.

“good then, I don’t want to cry again. I hate to cry, it hurts my nose.” The girl talked in the middle of her cry.

“should I play you the guitar?” he took his guitar from the seesaw.

The girl nodded.

The boy sang her a lullaby with his guitar.

“I don’t think I will be able to sleep tonight.” She stopped crying.

“why?” the boy asked her.

“I missed my parents already.” She shortly answered.

The boy continued playing his guitar.

“stop. I don’t want to hear again. You’re still bad at it.” she laughed.

“wait until I can amuse you with this, until that time, don’t ever cry again, cause you’ll need it to hear my first song.” He smiled.

“it will take forever for you to be good at this” she laughed again, louder.

From distance, an old lady with an older boy came to them,

“Jamie, let’s go.  Your grand parents want to meet you.” the old lady gently called her.

“why you keep crying like a baby.  you’re not a kid anymore Jamie.” The older boy looked at Jamie sharply.

The old lady stopped the older boy and smiled at Collin.

“thank you for coming Collin, your parents are also looking for you.” She took Jamie with her gently.

---

It was about 10 years ago. Now he had grown so well, and he really fulfilled his promise. He played the guitar so well. And made her want to cry. But she held her tears back. She laughed instead.

“ya. Why you laugh?” Dong Hyeob was approaching when she laughed.

“um, can’t i?” Jamie insisted.

“the problem is, you laugh all by your self. Do you want others to think you’re insane?” Dong Hyeob sarcastically smiled.

“no. I’m not all by my self. I laugh-“ she hadn’t finished her sentence when Dong Hyeob stood up.

“let’s go. He’s done. Let’s move to a better place.” He walked away.

“oh my! Is it his habit to cut other while they are talking. So annoying!” she mumbled.

She could see the street musician was talking to Collin. The crowd had gone, Kibum  and Jong In were happy with the money they held.

“thank you for your guitar” Collin thanked the street musician.

The street musician looked unhappy.

“okay, let’s go then” Dong Hyeob, followed by them were about to leave when the street musician stopped them.

“not that easy. You should share the cash too” he demanded.

They turned around.

“didn’t  I just give you the cash we had agreed before” Dong Hyeob insisted.

“but your friend also get the producer’s contact, shouldn’t I get more cash from it?” the street musician got harder.

Jamie was the only person there who didn’t get what the street musician really meant.

“we had  been in an agreement before, now you want more?” Collin sharply asked the street musician.

“doesn’t it worth it the contact?” the street musician kept getting even harder.

“ya! What do you want huh?” Jong In was getting on his nerve.

“give me the cash so that you can leave freely or you want to end this-“ he hadn’t finished his sentence when he called his friends.

“God!” Kibum whispered.

Collin bitterly smiled.

“let’s just give him the money” Kibum desperately asked Dong Hyeob.

Dong Hyeob shook his head.

“what the hell are you guys thinking right now? Just give him the money.” Jamie demanded.

“Kibum, take her out of here, we’ll catch up later.” Dong Hyeob strongly demanded.

“what! Are you guys insane?” Jamie insisted when Kibum pulled her hand to walk away.

“ya! Ya! We can’t leave them.” Jamie inisisted.

“it’s just like how they let me do the homework, I’ll let them do what they like” Kibum shortly told her.

“hah? Are  you serious?” Jamie was in a great disbelief.

“it’s not their first time. Let’s go! We’ll surely meet them after this” Kibum assured her before they left.