Chapter 4

Was & Then: A History

When Changmin knows he's safe from Kyuhyun's prying eyes. He calls Zhou Mi.

"Hello?"

"Zhou Mi. It's me, Changmin."

"I know."

"Zhou Mi.. You know where Kyuhyun's map would lead me to right?"

"I do."

"Please tell me. I can't understand his map.", Changmin begs on the phone.

"I don't want to."

"Zhou Mi. Please. Help me."

"And what do I get in return?"

Changmin wanted to choke the man on the other end.

"I'll buy you a Gucci bag."

"A?"

"Fine. Two Gucci bags."

"Make it three and we have a deal."

Changmin checks his wallet. I hate you koala man!, he thinks. "Fine."

"Go to the cliff where you had your first date. Remember the tree where you had your names engraved? That's where his gift is."

"Zhou Mi, are you sure? There's no drawing of a cliff here and there's no tree on the map as well. The 'X' is drawn on a bunny, you know? Maybe he meant the zoo?"

"Kyuhyun said that you were smart enough to understand that the edge of the paper meant that you're heading towards a cliff."

"I am not smart enough to know that."

"I told him the same thing."

"And what about the bunny?"

"That's not a bunny. That's a tree."

".............I don't get it."

"You don't have to. Just go, okay? If you waste any more of my time. I swear I'll burn a hole on your wallet and have you buy me a Chanel bag as well for what Kyuhyun made me do yesterday."

"Thanks Zhou Mi. Goodbye!"

And Changmin quickly ends the call. He could not afford anymore of Zhou mi's bags. His anniversary gift for Kyuhyun emptied all his savings for the whole month. And Zhou Mi's deal will have him starving for months if he doesn't look for five more part-time jobs by the end of the week.

Changmin quickly hails a cab and tells the driver the place he wants to go to. When he reaches the place, he reminisces of his very first date with Kyuhyun, of how the sun illuminated Kyuhyun's hair, how his eyes spoke of nothing but happiness, of how his cheeks blushed red when Changmin said he loved him, of how Kyuhyun's lips tasted when they shared their first kiss. Changmin basked in these memories before heading towards the tree. He then runs his fingers through the words 'Changmin and Kyuhyun FOREVER' carved on the tree.

Suddenly, something glistening at the highest branch of the tree caught Changmin's eyes. What is that?

And then, he remembers Zhou Mi's words earlier  "... have you buy me a Chanel bag as well for what Kyuhyun made me do yesterday."

"Don't tell me............ UGH. So typical of Kyuhyun to do such a thing.", Changmin mutters to himself.

" I'm in love with a sadist. Of course, I'd have to suffer first before I get the prize. ", Changmin shakes his head as he readies himself to climb the tree.

When Changmin gets to the highest part of the tree, he reaches for the glistening object and sees that it was a necklace. A necklace with a cape charm. Then he remembers Kyuhyun's words.

"You know Changmin? I've always wished for a superhero. I think I was finally given one of my own."

***********

Changmin breathes in and out. He remembers Ahra's face and his chest tightens. He wasn't a superhero. He wasn't. He was a coward. A coward. Not a superhero.

"Kyuhyun-ah. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."