Chapter 3 - FLASHBACK pt 1

Was & Then: A History

"Changmin-ah. Look."

Changmin turns to face a pair of the most beautiful eyes he has ever seen. Kyuhyun's eyes.

"What?"

"This!" And that's when Changmin zeroes in on a piece of paper in Kyuhyun's hands. He takes it and stares at it.

"What is this? A map?", Changmin asks incredulously as he stares at the crooked lines, the curves and then  a crooked 'X' at the tip of the paper because Kyuhyun just doesn't know how to draw. It barely looks like a map at all. It looks more like a scratch paper to be honest but Changmin's smart enough to know what not to say to Kyuhyun. Well....usually.

"No. It's a tissue to wipe your with when you want to poo.", Kyuhyun says while rolling his eyes. "Of course it's a map. You idiot!"

"You love this idiot, anyway.", Changmin replies with a smug smile.

"Stop being so stupid Changmin!", Kyuhyun says blushing from embarrassment while stomping his foot, making Changmin wonder why Kyuhyun's older than him. Again. Then he decides to tease the older man even more.

"Stupid for you.", Changmin says looking all cheesy, wagging his eyebrows and wearing a big grin on his face. His grin grows even bigger when he sees Kyuhyun blush.

"Stop being so cheesy! You look worse than Siwon-hyung."

"First of all, I'd appreciate it if you stop comparing me to Siwon-hyung. I'm getting jealous. And I know you love the cheesy me. So I'd rather not stop.", and with that Changmin swoops in for a kiss and then winks at Kyuhyun after.

Kyuhyun finally laughs and leans on Changmin. "Why do I love you again?"

"Probably because of my charm?"

"Try again."

"Because of my god-like face?"

"Nope. Heechul has a god-like one too."

"Heechul does. Well, one of a female that is. And you don't like those types because you're a bottom.", Changmin says in a matter-of-fact tone which earns him a well-deserved slap and a now far-from-my-arms-to-hold-and-chest-to-feel Kyuhyun.

"My beautiful-sculpted body?", Changmin resumes.

"No sculpture is perfect. Some have cracks and uneven surfaces. Besides, Siwon has a better bod."

"Because I'm smart?"

"I'm not stupid."

"Because I have a big heart?"

"I'm not a charity case."

"Because I have beautiful eyes?"

"You wear contact lenses. I can barely see them."

"Because I have a beautiful nose?"

"I can pay for someone to have a noselift."

"Because I have pretty eyelids?"

"I had a double-eyelid surgery. Anyone can too."

"Because I'm strong?"

"So is Sungmin-hyung."

"Because I'm Shim Changmin?"

And suddenly, Kyuhyun does not answer and Changmin wonders what's going on inside the pretty man's head. But then suddenly, Kyuhyun wraps his arms around his waist and replies.

"...Yeah. Probably."

And Changmin knows he said the right thing. He was about to take a hold of Kyuhyun's hand and kiss him when the man concerned suddenly unwraps his arms around his waist and says, "Well, going back to the map. You have to follow the arrow to know where you should go to get your anniversary gift from me."

"Which of these lines do I have to follow?"

"I said follow the arrow not the line."

"Well, where's the arrow?"

"THIS. THIS.", Kyuhyun half-shouts as he points to a line an arrow which barely looks like an arrow at  all. It looked like a snake in Changmin's eyes.

"That's an arrow?", Changmin asks incredulously.

"Well, what did you think it was? It's obviously an arrow. See here? The line ends with a triangle."

"Oh! That's a triangle... I thought it was a circle.", Changmin says and then he thinks 'Or more like an improperly drawn snake head.'

"What?! Of course not. Obviously it has three-pointy ends."

"I don't see it."

"AISH! Whatever. That's an arrow. Follow it. Arasso?"

"Okay. Can I call you if I ever get lost?"

"Why would you get lost? You have the map!"

"Just in case Kyuhyun."

"You won't get lost, okay? The map is perfectly understandable. I spent all night trying to make it look perfect. I even asked Zhou Mi to stay up with me all night to look at my map."

'Zhou Mi probably did not say anything for fear of you eating him alive if he said your drawing looked ugly. And he probably just said it was fine so he could get it over with and finally get his much needed beauty sleep. Because Zhou Mi's a diva.', Changmin thinks silently to himself.

"................... I'll call you, okay?", Changmin says out loud to Kyuhyun.

"I hate you. My drawing skills are awesome!"

"I love you too. And you perfectly know they're not.", Changmin says and he kisses Kyuhyun's forehead and starts on his 'Anniversary-gift-hunt'. He turns to Kyuhyun one last time and shouts, "Happy Anniversary KYU." And he leaves with a blushing image of his lover.

Changmin was too happy to notice the world around him. But he should have. He should have so he could see the pair of eyes watching his every move.

"He's on the move, Sir."

"Good. Keep an eye on him and call me when you find an opportunity for us."

"Copy that, Sir."