Nine

The one that got away.
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was almost midnight when you decided to go to bed. You had spent your evening looking online for jobs. You updated your resume and had a list of places where to drop them off tomorrow.

It was going to be a busy day.

As you were brushing your teeth you heard your doorbell ring. You popped your head out from the bathroom wondering who it could be.

It was past midnight.

Without thinking you walked over to the door and looked through the peek-hole.

It was Seunghyun.

Of course it would be him you laughed.

“Why are you laughing?” he asked through the door.

You mentally slapped yourself and took a few steps back from the door.

“Are you going to let me in?” he asked.

You quietly ran to the bathroom to spit out the toothpaste.

“Jaeni.” Seunghyun whined, “Open the door please?”

You laughed hearing him whine. You leaned against the door just to play with him a little. You heard him thump against the door.

“You there?” he asked.

“Yeah.” You said slowly, “I was about to go to sleep.”

“Oh really?”

You swear you could hear the smirk that was likely on his face.

“Yeah, so I don’t think I’ll let you in.” you laughed.

“What?” he asked, “Hey?”

“Yeah?”

“I think I’m falling for you.” He said.

You didn’t know what to say. After a few minutes you knew what to say.

“Seunghyun?” you asked.

“I’m here.” He answered.

You took a deep breath before answering.

“I am too,” another deep breath, “and I’m scared.”

You couldn’t help yourself anymore and finally opened the door. As soon as you did Seunghyun’s arms were instantly around you. You hugged him back.

“I am too.” He answered.

The next day you woke up alone in bed. You wondered where Seunghyun was or if he had left but then you heard clanking coming from the kitchen. You grabbed a random sweater and put on a pair of shorts.

In the kitchen Seunghyun was bent over searching for something.

“Can I help?” you giggled.

Seunghyun stood up and grinned at you.

“Yes, please.” He laughed.

“What are you trying to make?” you asked.

In his hands was a large pot.

“Kimchi fried rice.” He sighed.

“Well,” you brought out the frying pan, “I do make the best kimchi fried rice.”

“Do you?” he asked with a smirk on his face.

You nodded and started taking out the ingredients. Seunghyun leaned against the wall watching you. You watched him from the corner of your eye and laughed at how tall he looked in your small apartment.

“Are you renovating?” he asked.

You stopped what you were doing and stared at him.

“You’re just noticing this now?” you shook your head.

“Why are you remodeling? Isn’t this just a rental?” he asked.

“I actually bought the place.” You sighed, “It was my dad’s idea. He was supposed to help me with the remodeling but…”

You couldn’t say the words. You were only just getting use to the idea of him gone, of both of them both gone.

Seunghyun walked up to you and placed a small kiss on your cheek. You smiled and then focused on cooking. He didn’t ask any more questions.

“Okay,” you nodded, “It’s done.”

You smiled and placed a plate on the table.

“It smells really good.” He smiled then took a bite.

You stared at him watching his expression. After a few bites he put down his chopsticks, sat back in his chair, folded his arms and looked at you. You smiled at him wondering what he was thinking. He didn’t say anything right away so then you followed his actions.

He smiled at that.

“So?” you asked.

He only nodded then he picked up his fork and started eating again.

You continued to stare at him.

Why wasn’t he saying anything? You bit your lip worrying over what he thought. But he was still eating it. Maybe he was being polite?

You slump into your chair giving up.

Seunghyun continued eating until there was nothing left.

“Well,” he began making you even more nervous, “That was really delicious.”

You quickly laughed and went to get yourself a bowl. You shook your head and laughed again. Seunghyun came up behind you wrapping his arms around your waist and a smile forming on your lips.

“I was only teasing.” He whispered then kissed your neck.

“I realized that.” You hummed, “and you’re not the only one who can tease.”

You gave him a slight push making him take a step back and went to sit at the table.

“What’s that suppose to mean?” he chuckled.

You shrugged in response then the TV.  Seunghyun sat beside you and snuggled up to you. You glanced at him smiling to yourself.

The two of you sat quietly watching TV while you ate.

You looked at the clock realizing that it was almost noon. You immediately stood up and ran around getting ready.

Seunghyun had fallen asleep on your arm and was abruptly woken up when you moved. He slowly opened his eyes to see you running around and getting dress.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

You looked at him and couldn’t help but giggle a little. He looked so adorable with his bedhead and sleepy looking face.

“I have errands to do.” You huffed.

“What kind of errands?” he stood up.

You walked over to the kitchen for water and he joined you.

“If you remembered I don’t have a job.” You answered, “And I have bills to pay.”

You set your glass down then walked over to the bathroom to wash up. Seunghyun also followed you there.

He leaned against the doorframe as you brushed your teeth. You could sense him watching you. When you made eye contact he had a smile on his face.

“What?” you asked.

He smiled wider.

“What?” you smiled back.

“I think,” He said walking into the bathroom, “I can get you a job.”

Please log in to read the full chapter