The Girl Who Never Grew Up

Last Words

Luhan looked for his keys from his bag upon arriving in front of their dorm. When he found them, he inserted the keys onto the lock and turned it. He opened the door and entered EXO’s dorm. He found it quite… quiet. Luhan had expected the place to be noisy, with books flying around and greeting to meet him; or at least competitive shouts from Sehun and Kai playing a video game. But no, instead, he found s all laid down on the couches… holding a book. The same book.

He found it quite weird himself as s – apart from Suho, of course – do not read books; especially Sehun and Kai – who do not look like the types to read any books apart from manga. They do occasionally read fictional books, but they were not as in to as it looked to Luhan’s eyes at that very moment. They were so in to the book they were all reading that they didn’t even recognise Luhan arriving home. All their attentions were stuck on the book.

He slowly walked towards them and put his bag down, “Are you guys really reading?” Finally, their gazes shifted to him and Sehun was the one to reply, “It’s a really good book, hyung! You should read it!”

“Seems like it. I’ve never seen all of you reading the same book at once,” He replied, “What book is it?”

“It’s called ‘Last Words’, hyung.” Kai replied, his eyes stuck onto the book. He was the one Luhan couldn’t believe most.

“Who is it by?”

“The author name is actually pretty unique, hyung.” Tao said, looking at him after finishing the chapter he was reading, “The writer is ‘The Girl Who Never Grew Up’.”

Luhan’s eyes widened after hearing the author name, “W… what? Did you say ‘The Girl Who Never Grew Up’?”

“Yeah,” Tao replied. “And the book is a fanfiction!” Luhan only blinked at the Chinese maknae’s words. When Tao saw the confused look on his hyung’s face, he added, “It says on the author note at the front. She’s a very big fan of EXO. She even used our names for the characters! Isn’t that cool?!” He flicked to the next page and continued reading, leaving Luhan stuttering, “Y… y-yeah… Cool…”

“What’s up with you?” Kris sharply asked; his eyes still on the book and his hand flicked to the next page.

“Nothing,” Luhan picked up his bag and walked to his room that he shares with Lay. He laid on his bed and made himself comfortable. He let out a sigh and stared up at the ceiling. His eyes slowly closed and then came a memory he started to remember.

“You are like the female version of Peter Pan, you know that?” Luhan asked, her hair, “The Girl Who Never Grew Up.”

She chuckled at his silliness, “And you’re my Peter Pan.”

“I surely like the sound of that.” Luhan leaned in and pressed his lips against hers.

His eyes opened slowly, and then he let out a heaved sigh, “I miss you…”

He heard a knock on his door and it suddenly just opened, revealing all eleven of his other members cramping around the tiny doorframe. Luhan sat up, wondering why his friends were there. The boys entered and walked up to him, “Luhan, are you alright?”

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”

“Luhan,” Xiumin called with a poker face, “We know you’re thinking about Hyunmi again.”

“We know you’re still not over her, hyung.”

Luhan scoffed, “It’s been a year, it’s time I do.” He denied. He wasn’t ready yet; to give up on their dreams yet, “Do you have another copy of that book?” He forced a smile and faked a laugh.

They all glanced at each other; it was obvious they were hesitating, but they all looked at Sehun. He slowly gave him a book, “We bought another copy for you, hyung.” Luhan grabbed hold of the book and faked a smile once more, “We’ll leave you to it, hyung.” Sehun stated, and the rest of them stood up – from where they seating from on the floor – and headed out the door.

Luhan studied the book. The cover was a white feather; a feather Luhan knew what meant. And beside it, words Luhan remembered like the back of his hand. He opened to the first page, the dedication.

 

 

 

To my deer,

This is us.

 

 

 

 

That’s one shot to the heart, a million more to go.