Chapter 6

Trust
Chapter 6
 
Jessica and Tiffany stood side by side, watching the snow blanket the city.
 
"It's so pretty, don't you think?" Jessica asked, intertwining hers and Tiffany's fingers together. 
 
"Like you," Tiffany chuckled quietly, watching as a snowflake landed on Jessica's nose.
 
"There's snow on your nose," Tiffany pointed out, smiling as she saw the blush on Jessica's heated cheeks.
 
Jessica brought a finger up to brush it off, but Tiffany stopped her and leant forward, brushing her lips against Jessica's nose.
 
"See? It's gone." Tiffany grinned proudly.
 
"Ah, seriously, you tease." Jessica laughed bashfully.
 
"We caught the first snow together again." Tiffany said thoughtfully, "We're meant to be, right?"
 
Jessica laughed. 
 
"Yeah, yeah, I guess we are." 
 
They had a history for seeing the first snow every single year, with just the two of them, side by side, smiling and fooling around in the freshly fallen snow. 
 
"We're going to catch it again the next year," Tiffany said with a sense of finality in her voice.
 
"And the year after next." Jessica grinned.
 
"The year after the next next." Tiffany added, smiling.
 
"The year after the next next next." 
 
Tiffany cut Jessica off with a finger on Jessica's lips.
 
"Scratch that, Jess. We'll catch it together forever." 
 
"I like the sound of that." 
 
"Forever." 
 
*
 
“What happened?” Yuri asked, trying not to notice the blush on Yoona’s cheeks.
 
“Are you sure that I wasn’t interrupting anything?” Yoona asked, a little timidly.
 
Yuri cracked a smile.
 
“No, you weren’t.”
 
Yoona swallowed.
 
Just tell her.
 
It’s easy.
 
Then you can go back.
 
Yoona lifted her head, “Have you had breakfast?”
 
*
 
“Why’d you come back to Korea?”
 
Two cups of coffee, one white coffee, the other a frappe, sat on the table. 
 
“I have something to tell you,” Yoona said truthfully.
 
Yuri nodded, motioning for her to continue.
 
“Can I tell you later?” Yoona bit her lower lip and since Yuri didn’t want to see any teeth marks on those lips, Yuri nodded.
 
Yoona sipped at her coffee until there was nothing left in the cup.
 
“So, how’s your directing coming along?” Yuri asked, tilting her cup to drink from it.
 
“Not bad. Seohyun’s a good actress.” Yoona smiled.
 
A few minutes later, they both had gone back to their joking selves and the atmosphere was getting higher and higher. It was almost as if Yuri’s confession had never happened.
 
As the laughing subsided, Yuri murmured, “You know…about that thing…I told you at the airport…”
 
She left it hanging, but Yoona knew exactly what she was talking about.
 
“Just take it as I never said it, okay?”
 
Yoona pretended that she didn’t hear it as she asked,
 
“How does a movie sound?”
 
*
 
The characters on the screen were talking about something to do with mechanics.
 
Yoona was trying to understand it—really, she was, but she definitely couldn’t imagine herself directing something as boring as that.
 
It was probably her fault for not suggesting the cinema earlier; if she had, they’d probably be able to catch a, at the least, interesting movie. This one seemed like a 3D documentary.
 
“This is the motor…”
 
Yoona blinked and found that her eyelids were getting heavy.
 
She doubted that anyone in Switzerland would find it weird that she was gone for so long—they all had their own individual activities planned since that day was a rest day.
 
She tilted her head and stared at Yuri.
 
Yuri looked rather fidgety as well, often getting up to adjust her seat or her clothing.
 
Yoona reached for the pack of popcorn that sat between them and popped one into .
 
She chewed and swallowed slowly.
 
However, her breath hitched in when she felt a warm hand tentatively cover hers and slender fingers intertwining with her own.
 
The fear at the back of Yoona’s mind of skin contact started making itself known and Yoona tried to shirk out of the grip, but Yuri’s mouth was at her ear,
 
“Please, just this once. Can you trust me?”
 
Yuri wasn’t stupid.
 
She knew, with the time that she and Yoona had spent together, that the girl wasn’t exceptionally fond of touching.
 
The reason for that was still unknown to her, but she wouldn’t prod if Yoona didn’t want to tell her.
 
“I…”
 
“Just this once. I won’t hurt you.”
 
Yoona nodded as worked down a gulp with difficulty.
 
It wasn’t all that bad, though—Yoona became thoroughly awake through the rest of the movie.
 
She shot occasional glances at Yuri, but every time she did, Yuri would look back and their eyes would lock.
 
Yuri would offer a soft smile and say, “Is this okay?” and thread her fingers through Yoona’s a little tighter.
 
Yoona felt uncomfortable, just a bit, but in her heart she knew that she could trust Yuri and soon, that uneasy feeling left, only to be replaced by a pounding heart and a flushed face.
 
Halfway through the movie, Yuri knew that Yoona wasn’t having much fun. 
 
“Say ah,” Yuri laughed softly, using the other hand that wasn’t linked with Yoona’s to pick popcorn up from the carton to place in Yoona’s mouth.
 
“Ah,” Yoona blushed, but she did it anyway.
 
Yuri grinned and continued feeding Yoona until the popcorn was no more than filling up half of the carton.
 
“You aren’t getting full?” Yuri frowned, her eyebrows knitting together.
 
Yoona shook her head.
 
Yoona had become a whole lot more comfortable with holding hands and she attempted to feed Yuri.
 
Soon, the pack of popcorn left was a mere one tenth full of the original. 
 
Time passed a whole lot faster.
 
Soft giggles and whispery laughs were heard throughout the last row where Yoona and Yuri were seated. 
 
In the blink of an eye, the movie had ended and people started getting up to leave.
 
“Don’t you have work to do?” Yuri asked, and although she was smiling, her heart was sinking.
 
“I do, but this is more important than work now.”
 
Yuri’s face broke into a grin and she caressed her thumb over their linked fingers.
 
*
 
“Oh, look, a swing!” Yuri yelled, pointing at the playground not far from them.
 
Yoona laughed, shaking her head slightly.
 
“How old are you?”
 
“Hey, who says once you’re older you can’t play on the swings?” Yuri feigned a slight pout and dragged Yoona over to the playground.
 
“I’ll push you first.” Yuri said it like it was the most generous thing on earth she had ever done.
 
Yoona continued laughing as she swung up higher and higher into the air.
 
She was definitely having fun, no matter how childish she thought it was.
 
Yuri, herself, quit pushing Yoona and continued over to the other swing and soon, after a few leg bents and body s, was up in the air.
 
“Hey, that’s unfair! How did you…I didn’t even push you!” Yoona frowned, the wind tossing her hair all over her face and making it seem like Yoona was five all over again.
 
“I’m smart,” Yuri grinned tauntingly.
 
“I bet I can do it too.”
 
“Okay, let’s see who can swing for a longer time then.” Yuri challenged, smiling.
 
“Okay, call.” Yoona stuck out her tongue and tried to mimic Yuri’s movements that were bringing Yuri higher and higher up into the air.
 
“Do you admit defeat?”
 
The playground was filled with both of their giggles and raucous laughs.
 
“No!” Yoona grinned, but her swing soon slowed to a stop and she looked up with pursed lips at Yuri.
 
“Fine, I do.” She said resignedly with a slight smile on her face.
 
“Want me to push you again?” Yuri yelled above the wind.
 
Yoona’s eyes shone as an excited ‘Yes’ made its way out of her grinning lips.
 
*
 
Soon, the sun started to dip below the horizon and all that was left was a deep orange sky.
 
They sat, side by side, on Yuri’s sofa.
 
They had come back a few hours ago after having a quick dinner and apparently Sooyoung and Hyoyeon had gone off to party somewhere else. (“Did you hear? Sunny’s throwing a large party!”) Yuri was fine with that, of course, since the house was neater than she had imagined.
 
Yoona spotted the torn wrapping paper on the floor and streamers with the words ‘Happy Birthday’.
 
“It’s your birthday?” Yoona asked, a smile coming to her face.
 
“How did you…”
 
Yuri faltered as she spotted what Yoona had seen.
 
Yuri laughed, “Yeah. I guess it is.”
 
“Oh…I didn’t buy anything for you. I didn’t know.” Yoona muttered apologetically, lower lip jutting out.
 
Yuri spread her arms and wondered if Yoona would agree to hug her.
 
“Hug me. It’s a birthday present that’s good enough.” Yuri smiled, beckoning for Yoona to come closer.
 
Yoona contemplated it for a while.
 
Then she walked toward Yuri and her arms wrapped around Yuri’s waist. Not long after, she felt Yuri’s solid arms around her neck.
 
They stayed in that position for quite some time, just feeling each other and assuring themselves that the other was there.
 
After they had pulled away reluctantly from each other, Yoona pursed her lips.
 
Yoona asked uneasily, “I’ll…grant you a wish? Since it’s your birthday?”
 
Yuri swallowed.
 
Should she ask?
 
Or should she not?
 
No harm trying.
 
“I wish, for you, to really trust me now. Really,” Yuri was crossing her fingers behind her back as she said it.
 
Yoona blinked.
 
“Okay? I do.”
 
“Close your eyes,” Yuri’s fingers were starting to shake out of nerves.
 
Yoona obediently closed her eyes.
 
“I…I’m just going to…” Yuri muttered shakily as she reached up a hand tentatively to cup Yoona’s right cheek in her palm.
 
Yoona swallowed, and she felt the urge to jerk away instinctively. She reined her muscles and told herself, “Stay. She won’t hurt you.”
 
Yuri leant closer a little and asked softly, “Are…are you alright?”
 
Yoona nodded, her breaths coming shorter and shorter.
 
“I…I’ll just…tell me if you feel uncomfortable or anything…” Yuri stuttered, her other hand searching out Yoona’s and threading their fingers together.
 
It felt like a long time before Yuri finally mustered up enough courage and pressed her lips against Yoona’s.
 
Yoona felt warmth spread throughout her body, accompanied by slight tingles.
 
Yoona moved her lips first (because Yuri didn’t dare to, afraid that she would somehow hurt Yoona), tilting her head slightly and pressing Yuri against the leather behind.
 
Yuri swallowed and brushed a stray strand of Yoona’s hair behind the younger’s ear, feeling her heart rate do the impossible—increase.
 
It was only until Yuri felt like all the air had been out of her lungs then did Yoona pull away, breathing heavy and eyes bright.
 
“I…” Yuri didn’t know what to say. What could she say?
 
Yoona silenced Yuri with a finger on her lips.
 
“Actions speak louder than words, remember?” Yoona muttered, resting her head on Yuri’s shoulder.
 
A smile made its way onto Yuri’s face and she brushed her lips against Yoona’s forehead.
 
"You know what I wanted to tell you?" Yoona asked, biting her lower lip. 
 
Yuri ran her thumb over Yoona's lip and said, "don't do that. It'll leave a mark." 
 
Yoona smiled before saying, "I wanted to tell you that I like you. I really did, but my aunt didn't approve of our relationship. She does, now, though." 
 
“Thank you for trusting me.” Yuri whispered, bringing a hand up to pull Yoona closer.
 
“You never gave me a reason not to.”
 
*
 
Note: hey guys ^^ this chapter is really short since I still have an epilogue to post \o/