Chapter 1

Silver Lining Turned Gray

“Open the door! I said open the door!” I could hear the landlady hit her fist on the locked wooden door repeatedly as she said this. I stood there, doing nothing but stare at it. I looked back at my brother, Jung Yunho, who was sitting on the couch, staring at nothing in particular.

“Oppa…” I said and he looked up, with no expression on his face. I stared at him for a while then said, “What are we going to do…?”

“Nothing, Jaeneung. You do nothing. This is my problem, not yours.” He said, fixing his gaze on the door. “I’m responsible for this.” He added. I looked at him, frowning in his direction, before walking to my room to think.

Maybe I should give him the money I earned. That was purpose of my working anyway. I hope my brother doesn’t mind that I didn’t tell him I worked for this.

Taking my earned money with me, I made my way back to the living room. I took deep breaths as I got back closer to my brother. Lately, he has been very strict and he always has a temper ever since our parents left us, and I’m afraid of what comes with his temper.

I entered the living room and it has now gone quiet. The landlady might have given up banging on the door, asking the pay for the rent. Tomorrow, it would be the same.

“Oppa…” I shoved the money to his direction. He stared at it for awhile then looked at me.

“Where did you get that…?” He asked, looking a bit angry.

“I got side jobs.”

“You got a job?” He said in a stern voice. “I told you not to get a job and you got a in’ job?!” He stood up, looking at me straight in the eye with a sharp look. I stepped back, afraid that he might hit me. He has never hit me before but I’m starting to think that he soon will.

“I got a job because I thought it would help us…” I explained.

“Keep it. You earned it.” He said, after a few minutes of silence, and pushed my hand away gently.

“Why don’t you let me help?”

“Because I don’t want your help! You’re too young to be working!”

“I’m not a little girl! At least let me help even once!” I answered back.

“No! It’s my job to care and protect you!” He shouted back.

“I just want to help!”

“J-Just go to your room!” He dismissed and turned his back to me, signalling that he doesn’t want to argue with me anymore. I stood there for a good while then stomped my way to my room, slammed the bedroom door behind me and cried. Why did he have to be like that to me? He’s not what he used to be anymore. He’s now someone different; someone I don’t know.

I was angry with myself. I shouldn’t have gone through the effort of getting a job if I was just going to get yelled at in the end of it. I should have just obeyed him and do as he pleases. But I was angry at him, too.

And I was angry with my parents. If they didn't leave, we wouldn't be in this situation right now, my brother would still be the loving older brother I once knew and adored, and the landlady wouldn't be coming to bang on the door and demand for the rent's pay.

Annoyed, I walked to my closet and took out my backpack. I stuffed everything I could into my backpack and zipped it shut.

Tonight, I’m running away.

 

-----

 

Hi everyone! -the-badguy-or-hero- here! ^^

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! I sorta did it in a rush cause I was in the mood for writing but I have other stuff to do so D: Comment and tell me if it's too short and I'll make my future chapters even longer :3

Next chapter will be evilmastermaknae's chapter XD

Until then! ♥