Sister, Sister

Brothers in Arms: Darkness Falls

When my eyes opened due to the morning sunlight, all I could see was Rain standing over me with his hands on his hips.  I put a pillow over my head and growled.

 

“What time is it? Go back to bed Rain,” I mumbled.

 

“I can’t! There’s a somebody on the couch!” he replied, shaking me violently.  It took a moment for me to realize who he was talking about… Sungjae. Then I remembered that we were supposed to be going to Olympus with Hyoyeon.

 

And I didn’t even have a babysitter…

 

I rolled out of bed and took a quick shower before getting dressed. I stumbled into the living room, where Sungjae was playing with Joon.

 

“Finally you’re awake,” said someone from behind me.  I turned around to see Hyoyeon sitting in a chair, sipping tea.

 

“Uh, Sungjae… How long has she been here?” I asked.

 

“…. Like ten seconds,” Sungjae said, patting Joon on the head.

 

“Are you both ready to go?” Hyoyeon asked.

 

“I need to find someone to watch the kids,” I said,

 

“What about your sister?” Sungjae suggested.

 

“My…. My sister… Chaerin…. How about no,”

 

 

“Beggars can’t be choosers Minhyuk,”

 

“Fine,” I said with a sigh.  Hyoyeon waited patiently as I called my sister.

 

“Hello… who is this…? I DON’T HAVE YOUR MONEY, SO STOP CALLING ME!!!!” Chaerin yelled as she answered the phone.

 

“What the… no, Chaerin, its Minhyuk.”

 

“Oh hey! How are you?!”

 

“I’m uh, I’m fine… I need you to watch the kids for a little while,”

 

“No problem, be there soon!” Chaerin replied, hanging up without another word.

 

“She’s on her way?” Hyoyeon asked.

 

“Yeah, it’ll take about ten minutes,”

 

“No time to wait, it’s already been long enough,” she replied, rubbing her necklace.  My heart beat seemed to speed up, and I noticed the clock on the wall started to spin faster.

 

“What did you do?” Sungjae asked.

 

“Sped up time, your sister’s outside, now let’s go,” Hyoyeon asked, snapping her fingers.  There was a bright flash of light and then we were standing in the middle of a field of high grass.  There were no buildings anywhere around us and all I could see was a large tower in the distance.

 

“So… this is Olympus,” I said.

 

“This is just one part of it. Where the gods live.  Heliopolis, the city of the angels is located past that tower and the portal to the underworld is… Let’s not talk about that… follow me,” Hyoyeon began walking off through the grass and we followed close behind.

 

Soon we came to a large, ancient geek looking building.  We walked inside and there was a circle of large chairs around a giant map of the entire world.  All of them were empty, except one.  Maybe the other gods had jury duty or something…

 

“Sooyoung, I’ve brought some humans here, they need our help,” Hyoyeon explained.

 

“Help… why the hell should I help them?” Sooyoung said, laying back in her chair and shining her golden apple.

 

“Because I’m asking you to. Don’t be difficult sister,” Hyoyeon pleaded.  Sooyoung sighed and sat up straight.

 

“Fine… what do they need?”

 

“This man, Lee Minhyuk, is being sought after by the demonic trinity. They wish to use him for their ritual. He needs your advice on how to elude them,”

 

Sooyoung’s intense eyes seemed to look straight into my soul as she glared at me.

 

“Elude them? There is no way to elude them… take heart in this fact Lee Minhyuk, you are a dead man,” She said, turning away from me.

 

“Now wait just a second! I didn’t come all the way to Olympus, just to hear you tell me that I’m going to die.  I’m a slayer, and I always find a way to win! So take heart in this fact Sooyoung… I’m going to take down the demonic trinity, even if I have to do it alone!” I snapped, turning around and storming out. 

 

“Minhyuk!” Sungjae screamed as I stomped through the high grass.  I turned around and he punched me in the jaw.

 

“What the hell!?” I said, rubbing my face.

 

“You idiot… Alone? Really? You honestly think I’d let you fight the three most powerful demons in existence alone!? What the hell is wrong with you!?”

 

“Look Sungjae, I appreciate you wanting to help but, I can’t ask you to put yourself on the line like this.  This is my battle, I’ll fight it by myself,”

 

“No… you won’t.  We have slain countless monsters together, as a team.  I’ve saved your and you’ve saved mine.  That’s what teamwork is about Minhyuk.  You are like family to me, and if the roles were reversed, you’d want to help me through this, wouldn’t you?”

 

“I… I guess so,”

 

“Exactly. So no more excuses. You don’t have to go it alone, you’re a man, not an island,”

 

Hyoyeon slowly approached us, with a smile on her face.

 

“What happened?” I wondered.

 

“Sooyoung was so surprised that you stood up to her, that she’s giving you this,” she said, handing me a small box.

 

“What is it?”

 

“It formerly belonged to Pandora. She was foolish enough to open it, releasing the demonic trinity from confinement.  If it is reopened in close proximity to them, they shall be trapped inside again,”

 

“Wow, this is amazing!” I said with a huge smile. 

 

Demonic trinity… bring it on…