o2: Who's/Whose

◣ Gяαммαя & Wяιтιηg Tιρѕ ◥

Welcome back to my grammar & writing tip shop~! Today we will be reviewing two of my close friends in the fanfic writing world, Who's and Whose.

Let's get started~

 


 

Who's is a contraction, meaning that it is a shortened form of two words. This contraction is a shortened form of the words Who is. Like They're in Lesson 1, try fitting Who's into a sentence containing Who is, but replace Who is with Who's.

Example: Who is the one who ate my last cookie?Who's the one who ate my last cookie?

 


 

Whose has 2 literal definitions. The first is "belonging to or associated with which person", which may seem confusing to you. It is used as a determiner and a pronoun in this case, in sentences such as "Whose turn is it?" and "Whose lollipop is this?"

The second literal definition is "of whom or which (used to indicate that the following noun belongs to or is associated with the person or thing mentioned in the previous clause)". This starts a dependent clause in a sentence. An example sentence is "The man whose sweater is soaked with sweat seems like he needs a rest."

 


 

Hopefully you found today's tutorial helpful, and I'll be updating again soon~! Please subscribe for more little lessons on grammar & writing!