o1: They're/Their/There

◣ Gяαммαя & Wяιтιηg Tιρѕ ◥

One of the many things that ticks me off is when authors confuse the words 'their', 'they're', and 'there'. It isn't their fault if they don't know, but I hope those of you who often confuse those will find at least some help from this lesson~ ^^

 


 

There

 

There means a lot of things and can be used in many ways.

 

One definition is "in, at, or to that place or position". This would be used in a sentence like "I went there for a few months." or "I left my phone there."

Another definition is "used in attracting someone's attention or calling attention to someone or something". This would only be used in sentences such as "Hello there!"

The third definiton is "used to focus attention on something and express satisfaction or annoyance at it". This would be used in these cases: "There, I told you she wouldn't mind!" and "There, I did it."

The final definition is "used to comfort someone". This would be used with a calm expression (normally), in cases such as "There, there, everything's alright."

 


 

They're

 

They're only has one definition. It is a contraction for they are. You can only use they're if it can replace they are and still make sense. For example,

"They are going to the park." would be changed to "They're going to the park." I substituted they are with they're and it still makes sense.

 


 

Their

 

Their has two definitions. One is not used often, but I will show you anyway.

The first definition is "belonging to or associated with the people or things previously mentioned or easily identified". I would use this in a sentence where there is a belonging that is owned by or belongs to more than one person (or animal or whatever). An example is "Their class is going on a field trip."
This would refer to the class belonging to a group of people, not just one person.

The second definition is "used in titles", which basically means Their Majesties, which we should all know how to use. It would be talking about more than one person with Majesty in their title. Say you would normally say His Majesty and Her Majesty. You are talking to your friend about them. You would refer to them as Their Majesties.

 


 

Thanks for reading! If it helped, please subscribe for more little lessons on grammar and writing c: