Waking Up

A Love from the Past

 

{ This chapter is told in Jongup and Daehyun's view. It'll say which one is speaking ^^ }



 

[ Daehyun }

     My eyes slowly opened on a dim world, a cracked sheet of glass above me and another body pressed against my side. I turned my head and blinked a few times, soft groans leaving my lips, my eyes focusing on the other figure.

     Blood streamed down Jongup's face and his eyes were closed, even his chest was seemingly frozen. "N-No, Jongup," I pulled at my seatbelt violently until I finally broke free and broke his as well. "Jongup!" I looked at his legs which had been pinned under the crushed dashboard and panicked, knowing it would take emergency teams to free him.

     I broke the driver's side window and cleared the glass before squeezing myself through and onto the cold icy ground.

     "Daehyun..." Hyosung mumbled from the back seat. I broke the back window and helped her out, her injuries being least serious of us three, and set her on the curb. I ran back to the car and began breaking out the windshield as emergency sirens grew closer.

     "Jongup, please wake up," I begged in a tear-choked voice. "Don't die, please!" Police were quick to pull me away from the wreck and set me beside Hyosung as we were examined, being diagnosed with only cuts and bruises.

     I watched in agony for hours as they freed him, cutting up the car with a giant machine and pulling him to safety. I ran to him as soon as he was free and laid on a stretcher. "Is he okay? Please tell me he's okay!" They pushed me away and ordered another ambulance bring Hyosung and I to the hospital, the doors to Jongup's ambulance shutting before the ambulance sped away from the scene. We were pulled into a separate ambulance and were taken to the hospital as well.

     "Why can't you drive?" Hyosung hit my shoulder.

     "This is your fault, dammit!" I shouted, glaring at her. "Why the hell did you sneak into my car?!"

     She whimpered and huffed. "Don't yell at me!"

     "I will yell at you! It's your fault that he might be dead!" I turned away from her. "Just stay the hell away from me." She huffed again and moved to the other side of the ambulance cab.

     Tears streamed down my cheeks and my hands tightly gripped my hair, tugging harshly to bring out screams of pain and agony. “I can’t lose him,” I muttered under my breath. “I won’t let him die.” I beat on the side of the cab and yelled for the driver to hurry. He shouted back and the vehicle sped up.


[ Jongup ]

     I opened my eyes slowly – or at least I think I did, since I everything was completely black. I felt light, like there was no ground or anything beneath me, just a thin sheet of air. I clenched my fist slowly then reopened it, groaning lightly at the intense amount of pain it caused. I lifted my arm up slowly, screaming as loud as my exhausted lungs would allow.

     I felt something on my hand and grabbed it, the pain easing away as soon as we met. My whole body relaxed and all pain subsided aside from a few stabbing pains in my other arm. I could only hear faint sounds, a sound I have never heard and the sound of someone crying on the same side as whatever was in my hand. I lolled my head from side to side and blinked my eyes, knowing I was facing the sound. Slowly, my vision returned and all I saw was Daehyun. His hand held tightly onto mine and his face was buried into the bed. I looked around at my surroundings, seeing nothing but strange buzzing things. I weakly nudged Daehyun and tried to speak, nothing coming out but an odd croak.

     His head shot up and his eyes met mine, the brown orbs lighting up and a smile brightening his face. “J-Jongup!” I smiled weakly and gently wiped away the tears that covered his cheeks. “A-Are you okay?” his voice was panicked.

     I nodded slowly and struggled to speak. “M-My body hurts.” He began to cry again and called in two women to see to me. “A-Are you okay, D-Daehyunnie?” He nodded slowly and held onto my hand. “G-Good,” My eyelids became heavy and slowly began to close, my body becoming weaker.

     “J-Jongup!” I felt his hand tremble in mine. “W-Wake up! You have to stay awake!” I smiled weakly and fell asleep.


 

[ Jongup ]

     I woke up after what seemed to be just a short rest. But the room was colder now and stuffy, the wind blowing in through an open window. The noises from the strange things around me continued just as they did before I fell asleep, but were calmer now. I guessed that they were louder before because of the temperature of the room.

     “Everyone asks if you’re okay,” I heard Daehyun’s voice beside me, quiet and saddened. “I don’t know what to tell them anymore.” He sighed and held my hand tighter. “It’s almost Christmas, but you’re still like this. What if you don’t come back?” I weakly curled my fingers around his hand and held it, slowly pulling his hand closer to me.

     “D-Dae… Dae… H-Hyun…” My voice cracked and I winced a bit at the pain in my throat.

     “J-Jongup!” Daehyun’s voice became louder and filled with excitement. “Y-You’re okay!” I looked at him and smiled softly, nodding my head slowly and letting out a hum in response. He called for the two women again and they removed a few strange things from my arms. “W-We can go home now, right?” They looked at me and shook their heads.

     “He still needs a brain scan, to make sure he won’t fall into another coma.”

     “C-Coma?” My voice broke again.

     Daehyun nodded and looked down. “When the car crashed, it hurt you the most. You fell into a coma for a month.” I stared at him, confused. He bit his lip. “It’s a very long sleep. I was scared you’d be in one for a long time.” He gently squeezed my hand. “I was scared I’d lose you.”

     I smiled and shook my head. “D-Don’t worry, I’m okay now.” He smiled slightly and nodded, nuzzling my hand gently.

     After a few moments of silence, a woman came in with a bed with wheels attached and told Daehyun to lift me onto it. He hesitated then carefully picked me up in his arms. I hugged his neck and refused to let go. Daehyun laid me down and peeled my arms away gently. “I’ll be right here, don’t worry.” I gulped and nodded slowly as the bed was moved to another room.

     Something large rested in the center of the room, a ring of light on the outside of it. My heart skipped a beat and I looked up at Daehyun, my heart beginning to race and almost break free from my chest. “W-What is it?” I tried to move from the bed but the nurse was already tying me down.

     He kissed my hand softly. “It will tell us if you can come home with me.” He smiled softly and brushed my hair back. “It won’t hurt you, I promise.” I trembled and tried to get out of the ties, failing miserably. Daehyun stepped back and I was pushed closer to the object, my head right beneath the edge. I closed my eyes and fought back tears. More lights on the inside flashed on and I was slowly moved inside, although no one was anywhere near me. Daehyun was already in another room, watching from behind a window.

     “D-Daehyun!” I cried, struggling to get free. No one came to me. I fell limp and cried, my heart bating out of my chest. The object turned off.

     I opened my eyes and looked around. Daehyun pulled the bed from the object and pulled me into his arms, hugging me as close as he could. I hugged him as well and buried my face in his neck, tears still escaping. “It’s okay, Jongup,” he whispered. “It’s over.”

     A tall man in odd blue clothing came into the room and spoke to Daehyun – my terrified sobbing cancelling out my ability to hear – then quickly left. I looked at Daehyun as he wiped at the tears with his thumb.

     “We can go home.” He smiled and held my hand, pulling me out of the building and into a large area surrounded by what he called “cars”. I hid behind him and stared at them all. I remember getting into Daehyun’s when we were supposed to go home, but we never made it. I remember the car sliding around and hitting something. I remember I was trapped. I didn’t want that to happen again. “We won’t get in a car, Jongup, I promise,” he smiled back at me and led me through the cars, “we’re walking home.” I nodded slowly and followed close to him, staying as far away as I could from the cars that quickly passed by us.

     I ran into the house and jumped onto Daehyun’s bed, snuggling into the warmth and wrapping the blanket around me, signing happily. I inhaled slowly, taking in Daehyun’s sweet scent, which quickly relaxed every muscle in my body. “Home…” I whispered.


 

     I sat beside Jongup after he had fallen asleep and pulled him into my lap, letting his head rest on my thighs.  He was undoubtedly beautiful. He was perfect in every way, like an angel, an angel that had followed me from the past. What was I supposed to do? I was falling in love with him. I wanted him to be mine and I wanted to be his. But I was scared.

     What if he didn’t feel the way I did? What if he didn’t want me? What if… “Jonguppie,” I whispered, gently nudging the boy, “wake up.” His eyes slowly fluttered open and he looked at me. “Jongup, I-“ He looked at me with soft eyes and waited for me to speak, a soft and tired smile on his face. “I-“

 

     I kissed him.