Little Sisters and Hanboks

A Love from the Past

 

     “Is he dead?” I groaned and turned my head away from the murmuring students, burying my face in the crease of my elbow. “He moved!” I had been trying to force myself to fall asleep, so I could see the boy who was patiently waiting for my return. I looked up at them and frowned.
 

     “What’s with the looks?” I glared at them.
 

     “Why are you wearing that? How did you get it? It’s so old!” A male student pinched the sleeve of the hanbok and lightly pulled.
 

     . I was in such a rush to leave the house that I had forgotten to change out of the hanbok I had received from Jongup. I mumbled curse words to myself and sat up. I was surprised it took me until the end of the day to realize. “I found it in my attic at home, so I wanted to wear it.” They nodded slowly and left my side, feeling satisfied enough with my answer.
 

     The bell rang and sent the students off to their last period classes, except for me. As a reward for perfect attendance and perfect grades, my last period was spent doing whatever I wanted or was a chance for me to head home early. I scooped my belongings into my arms and ran out of the room as fast as I could.

 

     "Jung Daehyun!" I stumbled to a halt and looked behind me. A teacher who had dropped her things to the floor called for me. "Could you help me please?" I sighed and approached her, crouching down and quickly gathering all of her belongings and handing them to her. "Daehyun, would you be able to help me with swim lessons tonight?"
 

     I groaned slightly. "I really can't, I have to get home soon."
 

     "Oh, please?" He looked at me with needy eyes. "I really need someone to help. You just have to help the 2nd graders learn to swim, it'll be quick and easy." I sighed and nodded, unable to deny someone help. She beamed and pulled me to the pool where a class of children waited in their swimsuits. I sighed heavily. "There's a girl on the end who needs a lot of help, please take her into the pool." I nodded and went to the locker room to change into the swimsuit from inside my gym locker.

 

     The little girl sat on the edge of the pool with her feet dipped into the water, jumping back when a few young boys practiced swimming near her. I waded into the shallow water and stood in front of her, my hands held out for her. She looked at me with curious eyes that quickly became afraid. "I'll teach you how to swim." She examined my hands and slowly lowered herself into the water. I kept her surfaced by holding her on my hip and her arms wrapped around my neck as we got into a depth that was more comfortable for me.
 

     "You're really tall," she said as she watched the water rise to my stomach. "You don't even need to know how to swim."
 

     I chuckled. "I learned when I was small like you, so I could swim out here all by myself even though I was so little."
 

     "When you couldn't reach the floor?"
 

     "Yup. Back then, I couldn't reach it."
 

     "How old were you when you learned?"
 

     I laid her facing upright in my arms and slowly spun in circles. "I was a few years younger than you."
 

     "Oppa, were you wearing a hanbok today?" She looked up at me as she moved her arms around in the water. I nodded. "Did you get it from my brother? It looks like his and he told me he gave it away to a boy he met." I froze and looked at the girl. Surely she couldn't mean Jongup.
 

     "Really? Mine is too old to be his though, right? Mine is very, very old."
 

     "A few hundred, right, Oppa?"
 

     I couldn't speak. Who was she? And who was her brother? She can't mean Jongup; only I was able to go between the past and the present. I swallowed the lump in my throat. "What… What is your brother's name?" I choked.
 

     "His name is Jongup. Our family name is Moon."
 

     My eyes widened more and I coughed.
 

     "Kids!" The teacher from earlier called from the other side of the pool. "Lessons are ending early, I'm sorry."
 

     The girl looked up at me and hugged my neck, hiding her face. "You're like me, right? I can trust you with this, can't I Oppa?" She looked at me. "Have you told my brother? You can if you want to." My eyes remained open in pure amazement, unable to throw out any audible words. I couldn't understand what was happening. "Please tell him I can't come back tonight, okay?" I slowly nodded and took her back to the edge of the pool, letting her run back to her friends.
 

     Jongup's sister? "Sonsaeng-nim!" I quickly exited the pool and ran to the teacher. "That girl, is she in your class?"
 

     She looked at the girl and hummed. "She doesn't go to our school, but she shows up for lessons.” She sighed.  “And the other kids tend to pick on her a lot.”
 

     “Why would they pick on her?”
 

     “She doesn’t understand most things.” She picked up some of the pool toys and put them in the shed. “She doesn’t understand computers like the other kids do and she doesn’t watch TV.”
 

     “Maybe her parents don’t have those things.”
 

     “I’m worried that they’re still stuck in the past. She always wears a hanbok, never any normal clothing.”
 

     I sighed. “I… I talked to her in the pool. Her parents aren’t around.”


     Her eyes nearly fell out. “Then, I should contact the police.”
 

     “N-No!” She jumped at my shout. “I’ll take her in. My parents can adopt her.”
 

     “You’ll still have to contact protective services, Daehyun.”


     “I will, but please don’t call anyone yet, please? I’ll take care of it all.”


     She bit her lip slightly before sighing and nodding. “Go wait for her outside.” I smiled and kisses her head, bowing and thanking her before running to the locker room and changing back into the hanbok.


     The little sat on the sidewalk as the other kids ran to the bus that would take them home and watched them quietly. “Hey!” I ran to her and sat beside her. She looked at me and smiled. “Since you have no one to stay with here, I figured you could come stay with me.”


     She tilted her head. “I’d be allowed? Don’t you have parents?”


     I chuckled and nodded. “I do, and they’ve always wanted what they call a ‘normal’ child.” I smiled. “You could live with us while you’re in the present and then go back whenever you please. That’s what I do.” She smiled and nodded, jumping up happily.


     “Can we see my brother now? If I’m with you, then I could go back.”


     I nodded and let her climb onto my back. “We’ll go home now and sleep, alright?” She nodded and smiled, resting her head on my shoulder.

     “Thank you, Oppa.”


Sorry it's kinda... Bland. I haven't slept ;; Next chapter will be better!

*crawls away*