Stranger on my side

CROOK-ed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Prologue

 

It all started with a coffee. A coffee that spilled on a customer’s branded suit. That was when I started to lose my first ever job. An arrogant customer asked me to pay for what I have spilled on. He yelled at me.

 

Once a customer is right, they’re always right in any side.

 

I was fired.

 

Losing your job is like losing something or worse, someone special in your life. I don’t know what terrible things I’ve done on my past life that made me deserve these.

 

Losing parents at a young age, properties stolen by someone we trusted the most, a guy who dumped the hell out of me and this - being fired from my first job. Thanks to that rich kiddo who doesn’t seem to be so nice and thanks to his good looks as well, he managed to persuade me not to punch his beautiful face. His face is the only good thing he got. I guess.~

 

I wondered if love is just like a job, and it was, after you lose it, you’ll definitely find another one isn’t it? But that is not easy to tell. You can be easily hired for a better job, but you can’t easily find a person who will love you in a most perfect way, neither a person you can ever trust your whole life.

----------------------------------------

----------------------

 

 

I came home with a sad face.

“What’s gotten into you Eun Hee-yah!” my sister yelled at me as soon as she noticed my sudden behavior.

“I lose my job unnie.” I gasped. I cried a lot.

My sister can’t believe that I lose my job. I only got that job months ago.

“It’s okay. You can find another one. And by the way, I am applying to a broadcasting company now, I hope they’ll call me soon” She answered. My sister studied communication arts.

“You ask Mr. Jung I’m sure he’ll hire you at his shop.” She continued.

“mwo-ya?!?!?! You want me to do the same mistake again?! ANDWAE!!!!” I yelled.

“Yah! Having a job is like a trial-and-error battle. You have to try and try.” She cheered me even more.

“I am so tired at this unnie. Let me just help you with the dumplings.”

“Yah! Don’t you dare barge your emotions with Seunghyun here huh?!” she reprimanded me.

“Mwo?!?!!? Seunghyun-what?!? What’s the connection of that guy in our conversation?” I asked her once and for all

“I know you Shin Eun Hee. I know when you’re thinking about him or not. Kindly give yourself an assessment! You only lost a job, not a life or whatever. Aish! Move on dongsaeng.”

She keeps on telling me ‘move on dongsaeng’. Yep I did that moving on thing. I am already over Top. If there’s a feeling left for him – No there should not be any feelings left for him. How dare that guy kiss a girl infront of me. YES! In front of my two wide-opened eyes. Can you tell me, how to accept that? I just got dumped. Misfortune number one. And to lose my job could be my misfortune number two. My bad.

----------------

I went to school early in the morning, only to find out that I need to pay for my tuition fee again. Misfortune number three.

“Unnie, I really need to pay my tuition next month. Eottokhe?”

She sighed for like nth times.  “If we sell all our dumplings, that won’t be enough for sure, we have still dues in our expenses here at home.”

“Is there someone you can borrow money from?” I asked

“I can ask help to Mr. Seo”

“No thanks!” I said immediately upon hearing that. My sister can’t seem to remember what he has done to our family. He’s the Vice President of my late father who stole away everything from us. I am not after the wealth anyway, but we all have the right for what is ours. Isn’t it? It’s like they took my father’s death an opportunity to get all what they want. I will never forgive them.

My sister laughed. “kidding.”

I throw a pillow at her. “YAH! It’s not time to make a joke! I really need to pay my tuition!!!”

“You’re really good at yelling people huh?! Don’t you remember I am your unnie!!! UNNIE!” she yelled back. Well that’s the relationship I have with my sister. It’s not that we always yell with each other but, we really express our sincerest emotion when time like this gets tough. But we only fought at that extent. We never leave each other cause she’s the only family I got. I love her and losing her would only mean losing my life then.

“arrasso arrasso… I will find a way. Just go to your room and study.”

I punctually do what she told me to do, since it’s been helpless to yell at her.

--------------

The next morning I saw unnie cleaning our house specially our parent’s bedroom.

“Are you sick that you have to do general cleaning now?!”  I placed my palm on her forehead which made her tap my arm so strong.

“Yah! Shin Eun Hee, I am doing this for you so don’t mock me.”

“What are you talking about?” asking in a great wonder. What kind of help that ‘cleaning’ could give me?

“We will make this room for rent.” She answered me.

I can’t believe her.

“Mwo?!” I yelled at her once again.

“Are you being deaf now? I said we will make this room for rent from now on.”

“Unnie… You’re not crazy, are you?”

“of course not… this is the fastest way on how to earn money for your tuition fee.”

And because I am so tired of arguing with my sister’s insane idea, I, yea, agreed to her… Given that the bedspacer is a girl and with a nice personality. Any girls are welcome to rent.

EXCEPT FOR BOYS. EXCEPT FOR BOYS.

------------------

Three days had passed and no one seemed to be interested with ROOM FOR RENT thingy that was posted on the streets outside our village.

I just wondered, the next morning, the room is ready for occupancy. So I asked Hye Sun-unnie

“Unnie, someone’s renting the room?” I asked her with a big smile.

She eased a smile at me. I really knew that smile. She just nods at me.

“Where is she?” I asked

“uhhhh the bedspacer will arrive tonight.” She smiled.

“Nice. Did she give you the advance payment?” I asked her wanting to make sure.

“Yes. Actually, i recieved more what is said on the contract.” She showed me the $20,000

“Omo! She must be so rich unnie.”

“Ne. I think so… Here, you can pay your tuition fee right now.”

-----------------

And so I paid my tuition fee that day. Thanks for that person.

-----------------------------------

At night, I went to deliver a dumpling nearby, since I was already fired from my previous work, this is what I have to do, to lessen my sister’s agony.

We had a small scooter that is used for delivery. I parked that scooter around the building where I delivered dumplings. When I came back, the scooter is gone. The hell would I know where that scooter gone. Misfortune number four. I walked to death. I really felt hungry at that time.

When I reached home, much to my surprise, the scooter was already there… I’m dreaming isn’t it? I slapped my face. I was hurt. it means I’m wide awake. Oh no! Something strange is happen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter