04

To Make A Story

I looked through my clothes again, trying to find something to wear on my first date with HyungSik. I was completely clueless. If Kevin were home, I'd ask him. But he is busy moving stuff into his new apartment. He wasn't even officially gone and I already missed him!


I settled for jeans and a cute shirt. Then I anxiously waited for HyungSik to arrive. My first date. This was really happening. I took out my notebook and wrote down my current feelings for later references.


My father came into my room and took a seat next to me.


"I know HyungSik has been your friend for almost all of your life. But still, he is a boy and I still need to talk to him when it comes to dating you."


"Dad, it's HyungSik. What do you even need to say to him?"


"Just that he better not think about hurting you in anyway. Cause if he does, I'll go after him."

"Oh, dad. Um, that won't be necessary. I can handle myself."


I heard the door bell and my dad and I races to get the door. I beat him and tried to leave quickly but my dad caught HyungSik and pulled him inside.


"Dad!" I whined and followed them back.
 

"Hi, sir," HyungSik said.
 

"Now that your dating my daughter, I have a couple of words for you."
 

I buried my head in my hands and prayed my dad wouldn't say anything too bad.
 

"Don't worry," HyungSik said, "I don't plan on hurting Addie."
 

"But if you do, I will hurt you. Understood?"
 

HyungSik nodded and my dad let us go. When we got to his car, he opened the door for me and I saw a bouquet of flowers on the front seat. I stood there and looked at the flowers. He got me flowers. Why?
 

"You got me flowers," I said coming to my senses. I picked them up an got into the car.
 

"You're my girlfriend, why wouldn't I?"
 

I looked over at HyungSik and saw he was smiling at me.
 

"I just haven't had a boyfriend before so I guess this is all new to me. Receiving flowers and whatnot."
 

I hide behind the flowers embarrassed and HyungSik started up the car.
 

"Well then you are in for a treat tonight."
 

I lowered the flowers and looked over at him. He lost the smile and had a poker face on.
 

"What's happening tonight? I mean, clearly we are going on a date tonight. But- never mind."
 

I laid my head on the window and watched the passing scenery.
 

"Tonight I am giving you the best first date ever."
 

And that's all he told me. While he took me to wherever, we talked about my brother moving out and HyungSik told me about the apartment.
 

"It's actually really good. And I already talked to this girl who lives next door and she is really friendly."
 

"Girl huh?" I asked.
 

"She is not my type at all. I was thinking we'd set her up with your brother.
 

"Oh, okay. That sound like fun! And it would be another couple to use to help my story."
 

I froze as I realized what I said. I looked at HyungSik out of the corner of my eye. He seemed to thinking about what I said.
 

"Another couple to help with your story? You shouldn't invade someone's love life to help your story. What couple are you already using?"
 

I looked at my flowers as I racked my brain for anyone that was dating. None of the boys were dating anyone.
 

"Dongjun," I said. "I know he isn't in a relationship but he really wants to be mentioned and I said if he contributed. So he is telling me about his relationship with his ex."
 

I felt good with my answer until I looked over at HyungSik.
 

"Really? Do you know how hard it was for him to get over her? And now that he is relieving the past, who knows what will happen."
 

I went back to looking out the window and felt rotten once again.
 

"I'll stop," I said. "Besides we haven't talked too much."
 

Hyungsik pulled over and I looked to see where we were. I saw a weird looking restaurant. Why did HyungSik stop here?
 

"I made you sad?" he wondered.
 

He looked at me with concern and I was confused.

 

"I mean, you made me realize how it's not smart to use Dongjun."

 

"As long as you are happy. I don't want to make you sad."

 

He started driving again. His words echoing in my mind. I didn't deserve someone like him. So sweet and kind. And soon enough we arrived at our destination.