chapter 5

perhaps love

 

“Please!!! Just once!” he pleaded.

“Duh! No way!” I said to him while pushing his head away.

“I can see that you’re not easy to fool.” He faced the tv again and he squeezed my hand. Yoobin moved and I could feel she wanted to sleep. So I brought her to her room and Donghae and I slept too in our respective rooms.

Days passed by so sudden. Our movie watching seemed to be a routine every night. This time, we watched a comedy film. We were in the middle of the movie when Yoobin left us alone in the living room and went to pee. I couldn’t concentrate anymore that I was thinking that Donghae might annoy me again. But he kept his eyes on the tv.

“____-ah,” he spoke but then the electricity went off all of a sudden. There was a blackout and we heard screaming.

“Unnie!!!!”

Even though it was dark, I could feel Donghae looked at me, surprised.

“Who’s that?” I asked him nervously.

“I dunno.” He told me as I went near him. “Wait. It’s Yoobin!” I ran to the bathroom and opened it. It seemed like Yoobin was about to bang on the door and she was crying very loud. She went to my arms and cried more as long as she wanted.

“Yoobin-ah, don’t be scared now.” Then I pulled Donghae near me and whispered. “It was her who yelled right? She called me ‘unnie’.” I wanted to laugh of happiness but that can’t be. I’m sure to have big salary!!!

“You happy? She didn’t even call me for help.” He whispered back. The three of us sat on the couch. Yoobin was already calm and she rested her head on my lap. I was tapping her back gently so she’ll fall asleep.

“Donghae-ah, is there something you wanna say?” I asked him softly.

“Hmm? Uh, yeah.”

“So what’s that?”

“I’m going to give up on her.” He sounded happy.

“Waeyo?”

“I guess it’s time to let go. I’ve got you now.” He held my hand once again. I stared at him. There were many words I would like to say but my mouth was frozen. If only he can read my eyes…

His brown eyes were so addicting that I felt it was zooming in. I could see his perfect eyes up close. Then they closed and I got distracted by his breath that was coming in my nose. Omo! Is this the time my first kiss will be taken away?? Since his eyes were addicting, so was his fresh breath. It made me close my eyes too. You could say that we were inches away when suddenly the room went bright. The electricity went on again which made Donghae got mad.

“Dammit!” he exclaimed and I got distracted too. Yoobin woke up yawning. I looked at Donghae who was staring at the tv. He must’ve been devastated that his plan failed. But I guess it was cute. ^^

After we put Yoobin to bed, we spent hours of talking.

Next day

I planned on taking Yoobin at the grocery shop where I went before and let Donghae guard the house. But he won’t obey me so he tagged along. We rode on his newly cleaned motorcycle. Donghae started shopping for foods while I take Yoobin with me.

“Yoobin-ah, don’t let go on my shirt okay? You might get lost.” I told her while pushing the cart and looking at the shelves. Too bad I bumped on someone.

Narrator:

“Omo! Mianhe! Are you okay? I’m really sorry.” ____ said to the woman who was also pushing her cart.

Hmm~ I’ve always want to buy those lollipop. Yoobin thought while looking away. Unnie’s taking so long. Yoobin got impatient and ran for it so that by the time she gets back, it will seem that she didn’t go anywhere. Turning to the right, Yoobin bumped onto a lady. She fell on her back and was beginning to cry.

“Oh. Mianhe.” The lady helped her up. “Are you okay? Where you hurt?” Yoobin just shook her head.

“Next time, be careful okay? Where’s your mom?” she asked. Yoobin was about to answer when someone called her.

“Yoobin-ah! I was looking for you. Didn’t I tell you to stay close?” it was ____. She carried her in her arms and was surprised.

“Tiffany? Am I right?” she asked.

“____-shii! It’s nice to see you again!” she replied. “Is she your daughter?”

“Anio!” ____ smiled sheepishly. “I baby-sit her.”

“Oh. It must be weird to have a kid in that age. But if it happens, I guess the father might be in great shock.” she joked.

“I hope that won’t happen.”

“Me too. It would be hard; carrying a kid, while the father shows up from a corner carrying goods for his family.” Tiffany joked again.

“That happens in movies.” ____ smiled nervously.

“____-ah!” it was Donghae who yelled. He appeared from a corner, carrying a lot of goods. But most of them are his foods. “We’ll buy this okay?” he smiled.

“Aigoo, you’re such a hog Donghae. Why don’t you buy the whole store?!” _____ said. But he just laughed.

“Donghae?” Tiffany spoke. He looked at her then his smile curved down. He looked away irritatingly.

“Oppa! I missed you!” Tiffany hugged him. ____ was surprised; causing her to freeze.

“Oppa, I’m really sorry by the way I treated you. My dad was scolding a lot and…”

“Enough Tiffany. You’re silly explanations won’t save you.” Donghae interrupted.

“But…”

“What do you want from me?!” he asked angrily.

“I just want you back! I won’t follow what my dad wants me to be. I’ll stay by your side always. I’m sorry oppa. Please forgive me!” she held his hand.

Donghae looked at ____. But she just stared back at him.

“Everyone deserves a second chance.” ____ muttered. Then she left with Yoobin. It was understood that Tiffany was his girlfriend.

“Would you stop it? Stop making a scene.” he told her while grabbing his hand away from her. He decided to follow his girlfriend and explain everything.

“So who is she in your life?” Tiffany suddenly asked aloud causing some shoppers to stare at them. Donghae stared at her. He took a deep breath.

“She’s mine. Why?”

“Is that it? After some weeks that I left you, you exchanged me to a girl who baby-sits?!” she yelled. A lot of shoppers had faced them. Donghae went to her.

“She may be a baby-sitter but the way she loves me was much different from what you did.” Then, he finally left leaving Tiffany crying.

Your POV

“____, what do you mean back there?” Donghae asked me.

“That was what I was trying to tell you before. But you gave in so easily. Look what happened.” I told him. “Yoobin, let’s go to your room.” I took her there without talking to Donghae. He needed time to cool off. But he followed us.

“Unnie, what did just happen?” Yoobin asked me while she was brushing her doll’s hair. I sighed.

“Yoobin-ah, don’t mind it anymore.” Donghae spoke. “Do you mind letting me borrow your unnie for awhile?” she nodded and smiled. He led me out the room and closed the door. We stood outside the door facing each other but barely talking.

“____, I didn’t tell you before cause she doesn’t mean anything to me anymore. And besides you wouldn’t know her.” He finally spoke.

“I know her. We met last week.”

“But even if I go back, I wouldn’t still feel this good.”

“Donghae, admit it. You don’t want to see her suffering too. Sometimes, we have to make sacrifices for the people we love. You do love me right? Do the right thing.” I told him.

“That’s impossible.” He said. Then someone rang the door bell. Donghae knew it was Tiffany.

“I’ll do what you say. That is how much I love you.” His eyes were starting to well up. But he didn’t go down yet. He knew that I was going to say something. He began to smile.

“Donghae, don’t go there!” I knelt before him. I take back what I said earlier. I don’t want him to feel torture anymore. “Stay here!” then I cried. He let me up and rested my head to him.

“I’ll go there and then come back.” Then he just left. Omo, what if he’ll give me up and go back to her?

 

His point of view

“Oppa!” Tiffany hugged me when I opened the door.

“Say what you want to say.” I told her.

“Oppa, I need you to go with me.” she said. So I just followed her. We took a cab.

“Appa, I’m home!” Tiffany happily announced. I was surprised to see few people and they looked like owners of companies.

“Appa, I know you’ll give him a chance right? What I did was wrong and he’s willing to give me another chance.” Tiffany said.

“So,” he turned to me. “Does that mean you’re ready to marry my one and only daughter?”  Tiffany chuckled.

“Marry?!” I exclaimed.

“Oppa, you’re not gonna be with ____ are you?” Tiffany said.

“Are you serious? So who are these people?”

“If you marry my daughter, you’ll work in their company.” Her Dad said, and then whispered. “Don’t tell me you’re refusing my offer?”

“Uhh, actually…”

“Oppa, please.” Tiffany was begging me; the craziest thing I won’t do with her.

“Tiffany, I came with you because…” I spoke and face all these people. “… because I’m giving up on you.” Tiffany gasped which I’m expecting and the rest of them murmured.

“I’ve decided to end everything between us. You see, ____ gives me everything I need. She gives me her time, understanding, happiness and love which I got nothing from you.”

“Oppa, what are you trying to say?” Tiffany held back her tears and tried not to look at me.

“Tiffany, is this the boy you’re crazy about?” her dad asked her. Without any response, she ran upstairs to her room. The other people silently went out while Tiffany’s dad was apologizing to them. I head home, condemned yet happy because I finally felt freedom.

I realized that it was nighttime already. Then, I noticed ____ and Yoobin were at the doorstep. The little girl already fell asleep on ____’s lap.

“Donghae-yah! I knew you’d come back.” ____ smiled at me brightly.