chapter 1

perhaps love

 

Chapter 1

Being a high school student is no joke; especially when you’re staying in a dorm. You have to pay the rent. That’s what I’m experiencing right now. I’m new to this town, without a friend, without someone I know. I’m staying in this little room; enough for a small bathroom and a small bed, a small cabinet and little space even two people will surely fell uncomfortable.

It’s our vacation break; that means: VACATION!

But poor me, I don’t have a home to stay. Even its vacation- enjoying the beach, shopping- I’ll be looking for work to pay my rent. Tsk! Whatta life!

I tried applying as a waitress, janitress, and call center agent. But all doors were closed for me. the night club near the town wanted a girl who has slender body, long legs, white complexion and someone who’s blessed with a 36-sized chest; someone like me. y, right? But I refused, of course! Eew!
I’m just sharing my experiences, so sorry for saying that in public.

As I was strolling around the park, making ‘X’ marks on ‘WANTED: Job Offers’ section of the newspaper, I noticed an aged lady with 2 kids at both of her sides. She was in a uniform and it seems like she’s just a baby-sitter since they don’t look alike.

Baby- sitter. A baby-sitter! That’s right! I’ll apply for a baby sitter!!!

The next day, I printed out sheets of papers saying: Baby-sitter for your child’s protection. Please contact: 013-1313-1313
your kid will be in good hands.ü

That’ll do it. I started putting them up around the town. A Street called Mokpo seemed to have a lot of big houses. I’m sure they’re rich and have lots of kids. This’ll be good, so I put up 3-4 papers in each pole, covering the previous flyers that were placed first.

Narrator:

As she walked away, a taxi screeched to a stop in front of Mokpo St. blk. 10 Lot 1596. The house was big but has a small lot. She just passed by there and continued to walk.

“Yoobin, kaja! You should get used living in this kind of house ‘cause we’re not renting anymore!” a mother went out of a taxi with her little daughter.

“Haha! What do you think?” she asked her daughter. “I forgot. You’ll just ignore me.” then, her eyes went wide as if she saw mountains of money as she spotted the flyers posted on a tree.

“Baby-sitter?! Omo! This is what I totally need! Please contact…” she muttered while dialing the number.

From afar, (you) answered the phone with excitement.

“Yabosaeyo?”

“Oh hello! Do you own these baby-sitter flyers?” the mother asked.

“Neh! Do you need one? I’m totally, surely, perfectly available!”

“Okay sure! But you have to meet me now.”

“Oh okay. Where’s your house?”

“Mokpo St. Blk. 10 Lot 1596.”

Hmm. She wondered. Oh, it’s not far from here! (You) turned your head and saw her then went to her.

“Annyeong, ahjumma!” (you) greeted.

“I’m so glad there are still baby-sitters in this world!”

(You) told her everything about your situation and she was quite satisfied with your purpose.

“Are you good with chores?” the mother asked.

“Of course!”

“I’ll double your pay if you baby-sit while cleaning my house. Araso?”

“No problem! I’m an all-in-one.”

“One more thing, my little girl here doesn’t speak much. So if you can make her talk, I’ll make your salary three times better.” She smiled.

“No problem! I’m good with kids ahjumma! When can I start?”

“Come by at 4 pm tomorrow.”

Next day

Kim Yoobin, the 4 yr old girl, watched her mom packing up her things.

“Yoobin-ah,” her mom spoke. “I’ll be gone for a while. I’m off to see your father’s work. And they have this short vacation and he’s taking me with him. Araso? Your cousin will be here too. And the baby-sitter will be here too. For the night, sleep with your cousin, okay?”

Yoobin just nodded obediently.

“Aish. It’s 4 pm already. Where could she be?” the mother mumbled while writing something. Then the doorbell rang. She went out.

“Oh there’s my handsome nephew!” she yelled while opening the small gate. Yoobin stayed at the doorstep.

“I’m so glad you’re here Donghae!” she hugged him tight as he faked a smile. The 2 of them went inside.

“Oh you’re room’s upstairs. Everything’s set.” But Donghae ignored her and went up the stairs lazily. “Donghae-ah, there’ll be a baby-sitter coming later. Expect her to be here and don’t forget to give her this. Araso?” he just nod his head without saying anything.

“Is that how you say “yes” when you just got dumped? Aigoo, kids these days.” She muttered. She placed the paper above the table with a key on top of it.

“Well, I should go now. Go to your cousin when you need something, okay? Your baby-sitter will arrive soon.” Yoobin’s mom kissed her puffy cheeks. She left, carrying a bag and closed the door behind her. Yoobin was left alone in the living room. Even with her cousin around, she felt all alone in the darkness. She sighed and sat on the couch.

Your POV

Sh*t! It’s 4:25 already! Ahjumma will scold me for sure. I thought while running to her house. As I opened the door, I found her daughter on the couch. She faced me with teary eyes.

“Ya, why are you crying?” I went and knelt before her as I wiped the tear on her cheek. She sniffed softly.

“Where’s your omma?” I asked. She went to the table and pointed the paper with the key.

“Hmm.” I just said. Her letter said she’s leaving. And Yoobin’s cousin will be home that day. So Yoobin is her name. I hope her cousin and I will get along pretty well.

“So Yoobin,” I knelt before her again. “We’re gonna have so much fun and I’ll teach you everything I know. But you have to call me unnie. Araso? Un-nie. Unnie.” But she just looked at me. I sighed. I have to make her talk or else I won’t have any money. Speak already!!!

“You hungry?” she nodded. “Okay, I’ll cook something.” I gave her cup noodles and she started eating. I grabbed a broom and started sweeping the 1st floor. I used vacuum cleaner on the 2nd floor since it was carpeted. I passed by a room and opened it.

I was so surprised when I saw someone in the room. A guy. a guy wearing shorts and he was holding his black shirt on his hands. It seemed like he was just about to get dressed but I think that he was also startled by my presence. Seeing him half - well-built body and everything- made me sweat a lot. Goosebumps ran throughout my body.

“Burglar!” I yelled and reached for something to throw at him.

“Ya! I’m not a burglar!” he yelled back.

I continued to throw him things which my hands could grasp. He went and grabbed both of my hands to me; near his chest. I was just his shoulder-level so I could see his full topless body.

“Don’t you dare accuse me! This is my aunt’s house! Maybe you’re the burglar!” he put on a grumpy face. I stayed quiet. His voice scared me a lot that I couldn’t even blink. Suddenly, his face smoothened.