The Mysterious Air

Sweet Holiday

Jung Shin was sobbing when they had lunch, and Min Hyuk got back. He kept on apologizing because he forgot about the reporting.

"You did not forget it!" Jung Shin pouted. "You purposely left me because you hate Math."

"Mianhae...mianhae..."

While Jong Hyun, Yong Hwa, and Shin Hye were consoling Jung Shin, a nerdy guy walked to their table. Because he was a nerdy guy, some of the girls gave him awful stares, and the hunky guys laughed behind his back. The guy looked at them behind his giant glasses before getting back to look at Min Hyuk's table. And he finally reached them.

"Annyeong?"

Unlike the other guys, Min Hyuk and his gang were nice to the guy.

"Annyeong, Hong Ki?" Min Hyuk greeted his cousin.

"Why is Jung Shinnie crying?"

And Jung Shinnie looked at Hong Ki with his sad eyes, and pouted cutely. Shin Hye explained for the group.

"Ah, by the way Min Hyukkie, can you accompany me this afternoon?" Hong Ki asked.

"Afternoon? Sure!" Min Hyuk spoke in flawless English.

"I want to buy some Dante books," Hong Ki told him.

"Dante?" Yong Hwa asked. "Who's that?"

Hong Ki looked at them weirdly.

"Dante. You know, Dante, the writer of 'Inferno,' 'Purgatorio,' and 'Paradiso,'" explained Hong Ki.

"Sheesh! Lousy classics? What can you get from books anyway?" Min Hyuk cajoled his cousins.

"Books are good, you know," came Jong Hyun in his exasperated state. "You obviously just think of too much Xbox One games."

"Why? Aren't you into Xbox too?" Min Hyuk asked his friend.

"Stop it already," Shin Hye told the boys before turning to Hong Ki. "My best friend is into books too."

"Ah, Erika-ssi, the Canadian that you told me about," Hong Ki told her.

With the mention of a Canadian girl, Jong Hyun's and Jung Shin's eyes twinkled.

"Is she pretty?" Jung Shin asked, stopping his crying drama.

"Is she y?" Jong Hyun asked.

Shin Hye rolled her eyeballs before flinging her delicate hands.

"Of course, she is, what do you expect?" she told them.

"Can you introduce her to us?" Jong Hyun pestered her.

"Ya, ya, don't hit on my girlfriend," jealous Yong Hwa told Jong Hyun, and Shin Hye giggled.

"I'm not hitting on her," he told Yong before turning to Shin Hye. "Jebal~~"

"English policy, Hyunnie," Shin Hye told him. "Anyway, she is busy because she is just here for a month."

"I bet she hangs out at bookstores," Hong Ki said to her.

"You bet, she does," Shin Hye told him.

Min Hyuk sighed as he frowned.

"Hong Ki-ya, I will be accompanying you this afternoon, but I will only stay outside if you will go in the bookshop," he told his cousin.

"All right..." Hong Ki said humbly.

****

That afternoon, Min Hyuk grudgingly dragged his shoes to come along with Hong Ki until they reached the Vintage Bookshop. Hong Ki got inside the premise to purchase his book, and Min Hyuk looked at the glass window.

He suddenly saw the poster of the poetry reading he saw before lunch, and he saw that it was actually today.

"Aish... I bet Shim-seonsaengnim is..."

And he looked inside. Indeed, he saw the second-grade English teacher, Shim-seonsaengnim, sitting near the piano. And he saw a young woman sitted near the piano too.

Caucasian.

His interest was aroused, so he got inside. Indeed, the woman in question was Caucasian, and she was reading some verses. He did not know what it was, for Min Hyuk was not interested in poetry, but she was reading Elizabeth Barrett Browning's "How Do I Love Thee? (Sonnet 43)." Min Hyuk, however, did not listen also, for as the woman began to look at his direction, he felt as if Cupid shot one of his arrows at him.

He did not understand what he was feeling, he did not understand what to do.

"For the first time I saw you, I think I feel my heart skipping a beat. How can I confess? Is this... love?"

And suddenly, the world vanished with only him and the strange woman reading the verses left in the scene...

 

 

~~~~